In-Depth Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am

Thalass wrote:I think this thread is a good idea, but Expresso Beans is not the place for it. You'll just get ripped on for posting anything serious or art critical, it's just the way this forum is. I think it's a shame, and I hate all the memes, reaction gifs and circlejerking, but it is what it is.

Yes because reading an in depth analysis of a new ant man poster is far more entertaining and necessary. Most of the stuff dudes collect here does not warrant any sort of an in depth discussion.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:58 am

lol.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Thalass wrote:I hate all the...reaction gifs...but it is what it is.
Image Image Image
sincere86a
Art Expert

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:11 pm

bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:32 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
Thalass wrote:I think this thread is a good idea, but Expresso Beans is not the place for it. You'll just get ripped on for posting anything serious or art critical, it's just the way this forum is. I think it's a shame, and I hate all the memes, reaction gifs and circlejerking, but it is what it is.

Yes because reading an in depth analysis of a new ant man poster is far more entertaining and necessary. Most of the stuff dudes collect here does not warrant any sort of an in depth discussion.
Luls.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:34 pm

I hate internetz too!

Seriously though, what's keeping you from keeping the deep discussion going? The op can probably ask the mods to clean up this thread and delete everything not related to it.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 pm

You guys are nothing if not predictable :D
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:23 pm

pretty sure bubbie is a Diplomat in real life
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 am

Yeah kinda agree but he also pretty much started the thread with a essay instead of in gauging the audience into a discussion
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Wintermute
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:39 pm

jjttdw wrote:
I just don't get the allure of Stout's floating head images....is that in depth enough for this thread??
SPAC04 wrote:get_out.gif
barneycantankerous wrote:ts;dr needs to be longer.
jjttdw wrote:I just don't get the allure of Stout's floating head images for movie posters. next poster, change colors and head position then rinse and repeat. Can someone point me a Stout non-floating head movie poster image for me to consider?? ....is that in depth enough for this thread??

ok, I fixed it.
Heh, but headed in the right direction. Are we talking strictly floating heads, or just any imagery from a movie? I think Alien and maybe Let the Right One In are the closest you’ll get to a non-floating head Stout movie poster. But some of them seem a lot more floating head-ish than others (for example, Civil War is pretty much all characters / heads, whereas other posters like Star Wars have a bit more scenery). Are there any of Stout’s posters that you like more than others? What about different artists’ floating head posters?

I like Stout’s style; I think the sharp lines and flat colors make for some really clean-looking renderings. (esp. for handbills) His posters are generally hit or miss for me because I sometimes find the arrangements crowded / difficult to read, which works against the things I appreciate in his style. When it works, I find it lends itself well to floating head posters - there’s a cohesion to it, but objects are still easily distinguishable from one another. I really like his Akira poster because theres a nice balance created between bigger objects that are distinguishable from further away and draw my eye into the poster; and smaller objects that are then distinguishable up close. In addition to the floating heads, I find there’s a nice mix of scenery and the right variety and contrast in colors to avoid the monotony of repetition without breaking the overall cohesion of it.

But for some compositions, that cohesion can slip into certain objects blurring together and other objects seeming disjointed to me. In which case the poster ends up somewhat confusing to my eyes and feels a little crowded / messy. I find The Avengers a little harder to look at because, for me, the blue in Thor’s costume blends together with the blue in Captain America’s costume (and sort of Black Widow’s / Agent Hill’s since Loki hides whatever boundary would be between them); the A symbol cuts through things, further confusing boundaries / creating separation between objects and making it feel disjointed; and my eyes tend to jump around the poster to the bright spots of the faces. So it starts to feel like a bunch of floating heads to me and the areas between them seem a little convoluted.

Anyway, for me, the main attraction to his posters is that when it works, it’s a great mixture of imagery tucked into a balanced and thorough composition with a nice clean style. I think some of the ones that don’t work feel similarly crowded / messy / disjointed / repetitive; often like they’re just a bunch of floating heads with a tangle of stuff in between them. In my opinion, Stout also does a pretty good job with (stylized) likenesses, but I don’t have a real fine eye for that. They’re a nice bonus, but if a composition works without them, that’s good too. I only really get hung up on them if they’re really off, or if they’re a glaring omission (like, say, a reflection on a dinosaur-themed island amusement park’s gyrosphere ride).

-

This isn’t entirely pertinent to jjttdw's post in particular, but mainly I was hoping to see more specific reasoning for opinions and less immediate dismissal of other points of view (not that there’s tons of that around here, just that less of it is usually a good thing). And generally, the more you elaborate on the reasons for your opinions, the easier it is for other people to understand them, and that understanding can form a basis for discussing more specific aspects of a subject. It might get a little wordy, and not everything will be interesting to everyone; but you never know who might see something you’ve missed and appreciate something from a different point of view.

I think that’s worth a shot, even if most people don’t think this stuff is worth discussing or this site isn’t the place for it. Movie posters seemed like a decent starting point since the Mondo thread is the most active thread on the forum (although I understand that’s more about the weekly releases and drama than pure, unbridled passion for the art they're putting out). But take this thread wherever you want it to go - be it street art, fine art, gig posters, or whatever else. I was hoping the focus would stay on the art, but if people want to analyze sales data or release trends, or even do something shitposty like using aftermarket prices to determine the value of Ryan Gosling’s face on a poster, go for it. It doesn’t have to be a 100% serious thread, but try and treat things fairly and break them down thoroughly.

-

Maybe that’s overly optimistic for this site, and the entire internet in general, really, but realistically, I don’t think anyone came here expecting anything more than they got. Trolling, memes, gifs, references, and lols are always a little entertaining, too. (At most, I’m mildly disappointed that no one commented on the absolute horseshit wordplay and haiku I forced into my reply to Rambo. I really tried to beat that one to death.) If people aren’t interested beyond entertainment value, that’s the way she goes. A little fun, and then the “in-depth” thread sinks to the bottom of the boards. Sometimes its best to just sit back, relax, and enjoy things for what they are.

-

The second post is admittedly entirely too long. (So is this one.) I thought it best to start the thread by contributing something rather than asking questions or trying to coax members into a discussion and placing the impetus on the collective shoulders of the members - which would absolutely make for better discussion if successful. But considering all the different interests and how quickly discussion tends to diverge around here, that option seemed like as much of a non-starter as the massive essay post. I also thought the length might slow things down, and if there’s more to be read and thought about before replying, it acts as a sort of barrier to entry, which might compensate for being a bit of a turn-off to some people. (Clearly it was too much, but I also got tired of getting logged out whenever I tried to edit / format it into 3 separate parts and make it more readable on this site.) And I needed something to justify starting a thread devoted to this, otherwise discussion would stay at about the same level as it is in the gallery / artist / art comments threads. (If it had been cut into chunks, the first parts would’ve belonged in the Rory Kurtz thread, and the last part wouldn’t have really fit in anywhere.) It’s pretty honest about what it is:
Wintermute wrote:Rory Kurtz and Composition: A Boring Personal Review
TLDR:
- even this TLDR is messy and overly long, but I hope this was at least somewhat amusing, and maybe even encourages other people to dive into more in-depth art discussion; it can’t possibly be worse than this, right?
Not sure I have to say it at this point, but brevity’s not my thing, duderinos. Sorry for another long post, just trying to be thorough in my replies. I’ll consider having the mods clean things up or reboot this, but it seems that there’s more interest in chirping, and I’m of the opinion that the thread can take its natural course. So I’m probably back to lurking for the time being.

:pint:
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 pm

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Found duke's halloween costume.

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 pm

I came for the in depth art discussion, but I stayed for the memes and gifs.

#shallow