I'm in a poster rut..nothing is appeasing

General art-related discussion.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Wahhhh :(
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 pm

I second/third/whatever spending money on originals, framing, and ISO's. I filled up my walls real good when I got started, but having a bunch of pieces of paper stored away doesn't really interest me. As someone else mentioned, over the years I've ended up on a ton of gallery previews and that's a great way to get exposed to new artists. I'm pretty low budget, but saving up for an OG or long time ISO is way more rewarding to me than stocking up on everything that's released.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 am

ArchibaldTuttle wrote:I second/third/whatever spending money on originals, framing, and ISO's. I filled up my walls real good when I got started, but having a bunch of pieces of paper stored away doesn't really interest me. As someone else mentioned, over the years I've ended up on a ton of gallery previews and that's a great way to get exposed to new artists. I'm pretty low budget, but saving up for an OG or long time ISO is way more rewarding to me than stocking up on everything that's released.
All this goes for me, too. I hit a print/poster rut a couple of years ago. I hit up a few artists I admire regarding commissioning works from them. The difficulty is that artists often don't have a lot of spare time between commitments. However, my experiences have shown me that being patient can pay off royally. Artists are frequently stoked to work with a client who is enthusiastic about their work. Commissions can be more affordable than you'd imagine sometimes. Also, it's rewarding to own a beautiful work that you provided the idea or impetus behind.
nutter97
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am

imma grab one uh dem Indy Gabz doh!

coming out of retirement!
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Take a look at original theatrical movie posters. Most current ones are trash with just photos of the stars (minus some nice alts for The Black $wan). But the further back you go you can find great art in posters and the lobby cards that were once used to advertise the movies (really good art on the lobby cards from 20's). Think of Saul Bass (which go for a pretty penny the greater the movie, i.e. Vertigo). But take a look. Just an idea. I have some movie posters and lobby cards for sale or willing to try to point you in the right direction if you want. Cheers and good luck. :pint:
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Nice sales pitch... :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:17 pm

tweetick wrote:
ArchibaldTuttle wrote:I second/third/whatever spending money on originals, framing, and ISO's. I filled up my walls real good when I got started, but having a bunch of pieces of paper stored away doesn't really interest me. As someone else mentioned, over the years I've ended up on a ton of gallery previews and that's a great way to get exposed to new artists. I'm pretty low budget, but saving up for an OG or long time ISO is way more rewarding to me than stocking up on everything that's released.
All this goes for me, too. I hit a print/poster rut a couple of years ago. I hit up a few artists I admire regarding commissioning works from them. The difficulty is that artists often don't have a lot of spare time between commitments. However, my experiences have shown me that being patient can pay off royally. Artists are frequently stoked to work with a client who is enthusiastic about their work. Commissions can be more affordable than you'd imagine sometimes. Also, it's rewarding to own a beautiful work that you provided the idea or impetus behind.

All of this, especially the enthusiasm part.
I'm not someone else.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks RN I tried :D But seriously if nothing else if considering buying something can run the price by me no prob. Also remember the condition grading is very different even with variances within that specific market.
IWish
Art Expert

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:56 pm

I love vintage lobby cards. I currently don't own any, but one day when I'm in a better situation...I'd love to have a small collection of them.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Codeblue wrote:IG is such a fuggin wormhole. Still bugs the fudge out of me how they sort the feed. Everything is outta order and random, and so many fuggin ad posts.
this. so much so.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 pm

IWish wrote:I love vintage lobby cards. I currently don't own any, but one day when I'm in a better situation...I'd love to have a small collection of them.
Lobby cards are great because there is such a variety of types you can find, from stills to illustrated, etc.

It's a rabbit hole though just because there is so much out there.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 pm

True, a lot out there (although due to time the older ones are far more rare; a lot of theaters back in the day would throw the posters and lobby cards away afterwards because they were seen only as not advertising, not collectible at the time). Either way, with prints, posters, cards etc IMO find and collect what you like.