Are we in an Art Market Bubble

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:09 am

They all become less and less funny the richer they get. Rogan was never a particularly funny standup.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:17 am

Codeblue wrote:They all become less and less funny the richer they get.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:37 am

chevyav53 wrote:He does talk about that a lot. His last Netflix special was ok but Jo Koy killed it for me had me laughing the most recently. Didn't like Louis or Hart's last specials much either. Never go wrong with Chappell.
Jo Koy is very funny. Saw him live as well. Kevin Hart is good as well.. but seeing him live in a nightmare. Ticket stub says show starts at 8pm. First opener doesn’t come on until 830... I am okay with that, just like every other show and concert. Then the second opener comes out.........and then a third.........and a fourth. It wasn’t until 10pm or so until Kevin Hart came out. I did not like his whole comedy posse. Not the way a traditional comedy show is ran.. too much waiting around. Won’t be going to see him again.

Chappell is a genius. No one can argue against that.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

*Chappelle
SPAC04
Art Expert

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm

I think Chappelle does great specials, I think Burr has better live shows, I think Louie is one of the most all around talented comics ever to live, and I think Patrice O'Neal was the most Important.
fredo
Art God

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Heard a couple of people were funny even before 1990.
just a foil for me today, thanks
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Hicks is the greatest of all time.

also Jim Norton had the best special of the year.
fredo
Art God

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Hicks was great but I don't get the total adoration. Feels like he's got cult/anti-establishment cred that extends beyond the funny.
I mean, better than Murphy, Cosby, or Pryor... or the shitload working through the 70s-80s? The Unknown Comic?!?!?
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:40 pm

wottagunn wrote:Hicks is the greatest of all time.
So it goes...
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Love Hicks but many of his specials lacked humor...they were more rants with everyone clapping in agreement with his life philosophies.

Carlin, on the other hand, had the best balance of the two and was The Godfather for some of the greats today, namely Burr and Louie.

Hicks was a totally different cat and thats why he was remembered, but I don’t think he is #1.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Codeblue wrote:They all become less and less funny the richer they get.
Not all. Louis C.K. is still ridiculously funny. His show at Moody earlier in the year was one of the funniest I've seen live.

P.S. This is the stand-up comedy thread, right?
So it goes...
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:43 pm

aldobishalini wrote:

Love Hicks but many of his specials lacked humor...they were more rants with everyone clapping in agreement with his life philosophies.

Carlin, on the other hand, had the best balance of the two and was The Godfather for some of the greats today, namely Burr and Louie.

Hicks was a totally different cat and thats why he was remembered, but I don’t think he is #1.
He ranted only at the end of his career.

I wasn't a huge fan of Carlin. Granted, I found him after Hicks, but he just seemed like a more family friendly version of Hicks.
Louie is pretty good, although his most recent special was pretty average.
Dylan Moran is a favourite of mine. He is unique, and that is what makes a good comic.

The thing with Hicks though, is that he didnt care. He wasnt performing. It was all so natural to him. He rarely made up stories, unlike most comics these days.
Like, Louie's bit about seeing some rats drymount on the subway is kinda funny, but its not true. Id rather hear about Jim Norton getting a blowjob from a tranny, or Joey Diaz sneaking in to a girls room at the age of 13 and going down on her at the middle of the night like a pussy vampire haha
canuck
Art Freak

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I come to EB for all my financial and investment inquiries. Spill the beans OP.
fredo
Art God

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Carlin was counter-culture/groundbreaking in his day and he got super angry toward the end. He also kept working on the act. I can only listen to people talk fudge for so long before it sounds like every bar story ever told. M. Maron did his first (only?) netflix special on the fly- dumped his prepared stuff and ended up looking like a creepy dad in front of a bunch of 20somethings. It was kinda funny in a meta sense, but the act itself was thin. Not a fan of his podcast either.

I've come around on Louis - as a standup he makes me laugh and I appreciate the craftsmanship. The show I can only take in small doses. It's solid, but so so self-centered. Like Seinfeld only without the goofiness and with three times the discomfort. I know that's the point, but it hurts.

Speaking of Maron/CK- I dug this interview:
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/29/179014321 ... -and-dread
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Just as with art heading down another, your opinion discussion. But come on, no one can touch Carlin or Pryor, pioneers ahead of their time. All others named are great though.