Are we in an Art Market Bubble

General art-related discussion.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Or you know, just pay for what you like and dont worry about value...but I know...remember where I am
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Codeblue wrote:Here is a just a few examples found in a 10 second search for this same fudge. Bump an existing thread. #urnotaspecialsnowflake #TGT

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... &p=2564745
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... &p=1385053
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... &p=1551850
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 5&p=665851
Yeah, you can bump a 3 year old thread, a 5 y/o thread, or a 7 year old thread. Your choice! Nothing has changed in that time frame and all the answers you need are contained in the 4 threads.
I'm not someone else.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Still not convinced this isnt babbs
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Or you know, just pay for what you like and dont worry about value...but I know...remember where I am
Nah dude wants to retire off this stuff
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
mobius006
Art Freak

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:47 pm

chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 pm

mobius006 wrote:
:clap: that one I liked
Arterre
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:52 pm

chevyav53 wrote:It is responses such as the one below from the UAA forum that will help move a forum, site or business forward. Not the responses of simpletons afraid to have a real conversation. Yes memes are fun and can be funny but this forum could be more. There are a lot of great people in this forum and I hope they continue to speak up and not be drowned out by the trolls.

"First, I think you have to separate "Art as an Asset Class" from Contemporary Art to accurately discuss the possibility of a bubble. "Art as an Asset Class" really only includes established artists with market lineage. So a Modigliani or a Warhol fits into this category - but I would not yet include some of the Contemporary artists discussed in this group. Artists that have been established by museums, auctions, and culture never go away - their prices may dip but the trajectory is generally upward bound. Thats why high-end collectors are willing to overpay for a premium artworks by these artists, knowing in a few years they can probably flip them for $100k+. Thats a nice return if you are at that level.

The Contemporary market is much more volatile and Street Art in general seems more like a bubble. The street art movement is certainly one of the major art movements of our time. That said it's popularity has brought so many "copy-cat-like" artists. Eventually most of these artists will fade away and the Street Art movement will be defined by a handful of artists. Who these artists are will depend on the same factors: museums, auctions, and culture. There is a saying that a film becomes iconic when it is referenced over and over again by other cultural outlets: music, movies, etc. Who are the current artists who are being referenced over and over again in different segments of popular culture? These will be the artists to bet on.

Regarding millennials: yes there is a decided disinterest in "ownership" or "collectorship" amongst millennials. I think this has more to do with access to capital. Millennials are choosing to not need "things" because they watched the world crumble and loose it all during the Great Recession. The idea that you don't need "stuff" or that we can "share" stuff is more about not wanting to be vulnerable to the markets. The generation as a whole was put into precarious position, and their ability to develop their careers and wealth has been stifled. When millennials come into their money they will invest in art, and who they invest in will depend largely on who they are experiencing in art now."
This is a well written analysis. I dont think we are in a bubble, I would posit that millennials may be driving the print market. They have seen
the easy money that was made/ still making in OBEY prints, and this may look like the modern way to invest. Many millennials are forever priced out of the
real estate and stock markets and may feel this is a reliable way to invest in their future? It is tangeble , and you can put on your wall and enjoy it.
Some works will sustain in the future, some wont ...
gorkie
Art Freak

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:08 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Still not convinced this isnt babbs
$nooty is where the real $$$ is.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm

You got me

aahnutz
EB Team

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:27 pm

chevyav53 wrote:...I also get it, this is 99% a Mondo forum...
Oh yeah? Prove it.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
technique
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Still not convinced this isnt babbs
More like the hot new street artist Whitefish :lol:
WaltJocketty
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Art is generally a bad investment regardless of whether we're in a bubble.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:41 pm

aahnutz wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:...I also get it, this is 99% a Mondo forum...
Oh yeah? Prove it.
Serious, appears you are with the forum, you should have analytics you can pull if you wanted an accurate number. You know that is an exaggeration.

But off the cuff your Mondo thread by far the most active, yes they release a lot but the user comments around those posters is significant. It also has the most views from what I can see. Additionally the Latest print acquisition section has what over 300 references to Mondo. That is just what I see. Bottleneck and Horkey are also quite popular. Beside Horkey, really just posters. Often if you try to bring anything else up, new topic or artist the poster trolls jump on you. Then you have the tribal mentality of UAA versus us. I see similar but different forums each with their pluses and minuses.
WaltJocketty wrote:Art is generally a bad investment regardless of whether we're in a bubble.
100% agree
steub13
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm

chevyav53 wrote:I started to wonder this after a few of the latest releases, especially Invader. Still amazes me someone paid $11K for that print. But started to wonder if art, just as I feel with the current economic situation, are we in another bubble. Started to read up and just as with economic news some feel yes some feel no. Thoughts?

Most articles reference this chart

Everyone knows that the only way to deal with a bubble is to turn the boot...
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Well played sir