Need advice on how to store/carry Prints at SDCC

General art-related discussion.
Canny

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi guys i am new to buying prints/posters, i will be at SDCC this year and there are some 24x36 screen prints i would love to have. I am wondering what the safest and best way to carry or store these would be? Is it normal for people to roll these up and put them in a tube or is that considered damaging? Would a art portfolio be something that most people do despite its large size?
Any help with this would be great,thanks a lot.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:25 pm

get the widest tube you can find, like 8" or so, and first put a big sheet of thick craft paper in first just as a buffer between the prints and the cardboard wall. thatll make getting things in and out easy and quick and you wont hold up lines and can keep moving. rolling is always fine, we do it everyday. do a soft roll, put it in the tube, let it expand on its own. next print just do the same thing.
portfolios work but it will NOT BE FUN to navigate that space with a giant flat foamcore sandwich and nobody will like you, and its possible the prints could slip out, etc. its like a sail on a windy day only the wind is 20,000 smelly people rushing around. the tube will be better protection honestly.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 pm

This is why every sdcc print I have ever purchased from ebay comes all kinds of drymounted up yet no damage was disclosed in the listing.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 am

Daniel pretty much nailed it. Only thing I would add is perhaps bring a second tube or portfolio and unload everything each night. That way you don't have to worry about everything getting damaged if you have a fender bender on the convention floor.
Canny

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks a ton for the responses. I am wondering,would you say a 3" diameter tube could work? I plan on getting 5 prints on the 1st day if possible so i am not sure if all could fit in that size tube as a have never tried before. Would it be smarter to invest in a 5" tube or higher instead? I am thinking of getting one of those expandable tubes with a carrying strap, most are about 3 inches diameter and it could strap on right on the side of my backpack with the compression straps. And i totally agree about the art portfolio that would be a nightmare
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm

5" if not bigger.
elduderino619
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 pm

I bought one of these fly fishing rod tubes to use to travel. the top and bottom have foam inserts and the tube itself seems durable with an adjustable strap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED ... UTF8&psc=1
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Kramerica wrote:This is why every sdcc print I have ever purchased from ebay comes all kinds of drymounted up yet no damage was disclosed in the listing.
I only buy prints from sellers that have a proven track record selling prints. I learned the hard way already that its too easy to be joe schmo flipper trying to turn a quick buck and not know that collectors have needs. Nothing worse than thinking you're getting a great deal and then the print comes trashed because of how it was handled/packaged. :hanging:
I donate anonymously.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Definitely get a tube bigger than 5". Like DD said, 8" is ideal, soft roll them, and insert the next print inside the one(s) already inside. carry some tissue paper so any heat or humidity doesnt affect prints inside the tube next to each other. and most importantly....HAVE FUN.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

do not use a 3" tube, you can safely get maybe like... 3 prints in there?

the best thing youll want is to be able to loosely put a print in and just let it expand on its own, and then the next print that goes in still has plenty of room and will expand and make a little more, etc etc. you can honestly get quite alot of prints in a larger tube if youre not rolling them together all at once.
Canny

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Sounds good thanks a lot, i decided to go with this tube from amazon (link below)
I also ordered two of these so i can decide if i want to take the 7' diameter or two of the 4 1/2" diameter.
If it was up to you, would you take the two 4.5" diameter or the one 7" diameter tube?

7 inch Diameter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PR ... UTF8&psc=1
4 1/2 diameter (bought two) : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM ... UTF8&psc=1

Also im curious about what you said about the kraft paper,so did you mean line the inside with it and tape it in place? Or roll a sheet along with each poster? Also should i put a sheet of tissue paper or glassine(if i can find some) ?
Thanks again for all the help and info
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Canny wrote:Thanks a ton for the responses. I am wondering,would you say a 3" diameter tube could work? I plan on getting 5 prints on the 1st day if possible so i am not sure if all could fit in that size tube as a have never tried before. Would it be smarter to invest in a 5" tube or higher instead? I am thinking of getting one of those expandable tubes with a carrying strap, most are about 3 inches diameter and it could strap on right on the side of my backpack with the compression straps. And i totally agree about the art portfolio that would be a nightmare
3" tube you have to roll them pretty tight. And that means every subsequent print has to be rolled even tighter to you can drop it in. It's also just a headache when you're trying to roll and reroll to make it fit.

Give http://www.americanmailsandiego.com a call and see if they have something. While it's opposite of downtown, it's pretty close to the airport. If you're renting a car, easy drive. Uber won't be expensive.
Canny

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm

666ways2love wrote:
Canny wrote:Thanks a ton for the responses. I am wondering,would you say a 3" diameter tube could work? I plan on getting 5 prints on the 1st day if possible so i am not sure if all could fit in that size tube as a have never tried before. Would it be smarter to invest in a 5" tube or higher instead? I am thinking of getting one of those expandable tubes with a carrying strap, most are about 3 inches diameter and it could strap on right on the side of my backpack with the compression straps. And i totally agree about the art portfolio that would be a nightmare
3" tube you have to roll them pretty tight. And that means every subsequent print has to be rolled even tighter to you can drop it in. It's also just a headache when you're trying to roll and reroll to make it fit.

Give http://www.americanmailsandiego.com a call and see if they have something. While it's opposite of downtown, it's pretty close to the airport. If you're renting a car, easy drive. Uber won't be expensive.

That sounds like a great idea, im going to try and see if they have anything. I ordered a couple tubes on amazon to see if they will do the job but ill probably return them if i can get a good one from the shipping company as the amazon ones were a bit pricey.
Thanks for all the info!