The Rory Kurtz Thread

General art-related discussion.
BackToTheFutureFan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:32 am

Kurtz came out of nowhere. This Casablanca is classy AF. He can really convey mood and an atmosphere. All aboard the hype train! :clap: :clap:
playa787
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:55 am

This must be a rare commission or something started before he got big cause I haven't seen dozens of zomg Kurtz commissions for movies like "Over the Top" and "Batteries not Included"
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 am

This thing is drymounting gorgeous. Passed on this last year, as Casablanca is just not top tier for me (travesty, I know). His likenesses and color palette in this are just so spot on, really makes this thing classy. Looking forward to him tackling more oldies in the future.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:01 am

playa787 wrote:This must be a rare commission or something started before he got big cause I haven't seen dozens of zomg Kurtz commissions for movies like "Over the Top" and "Batteries not Included"
This was actually his first print
MooseThompson
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 am

playa787 wrote:This must be a rare commission or something started before he got big cause I haven't seen dozens of zomg Kurtz commissions for movies like "Over the Top" and "Batteries not Included"
I really want a "Batteries not Included" print, hater.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:40 am

That Casablanca illustration is so nice, but do not like that title treatment.
IggyD
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:44 am

FlapJack wrote:That Casablanca illustration is so nice, but do not like that title treatment.
Yeah, we had several people comment the same.. but Rory seemed to be dead set on it...
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 am

I love the type. What don't you like about it?
mattkardish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am

the type is great, the orientation is just a bit of a distraction from the illustration. diagonal across the poster vs. maybe somewhere at the bottom, who knows where he would have put it with Bogart in the foreground though
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 am

I am not a big fan of the way it cuts across the image and the overall size of the font. It seems to distract from the image more than add to the composition.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
FlapJack
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:27 am

Kramerica wrote:I am not a big fan of the way it cuts across the image and the overall size of the font. It seems to distract from the image more than add to the composition.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

It's such a classy illustration, I'm not sure why an art deco-ish titled stretched across it was the way to go. If I squint my eyes, I can imagine the words reading "not final" or "in progress".

Still, the illustration has no fault, very nice indeed.
BackToTheFutureFan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm

I would pay good money to see his attempt at The Hustler. I've been waiting a long time for someone to take that film on, and I think his Casablanca proves he would be an excellent choice.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Think the intent of the title was to lead the eye from Ingrid to Humphrey, given that's where her line of sight goes. YMMV.

And RIP his inbox for the amount of people who think he's gonna be active in the commission scene...
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 pm

FlapJack wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I am not a big fan of the way it cuts across the image and the overall size of the font. It seems to distract from the image more than add to the composition.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

It's such a classy illustration, I'm not sure why an art deco-ish titled stretched across it was the way to go. If I squint my eyes, I can imagine the words reading "not final" or "in progress".

Still, the illustration has no fault, very nice indeed.
Reminds me of the Gabz Inception where the artists final design had a much more dominant title treatment. The agreed and as-printed design later went with a more minimalistic approach but the artist still uses his own preferred concept for his portfolio and website.
Inception title treatment.jpg
If the final design has buy-in from both the client and the artist then of course its a win-win. However that is not always the case and the client will be the one appreciating the piece over time, so should also be happy with the final product. Nonetheless it must be handled very delicately and with respect to the artist as it's part of his legacy as well. There has definitely been some pieces brutalized by the 'design by committee' approach that some commissions have adopted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm

FlapJack wrote:That Casablanca illustration is so nice, but do not like that title treatment.
I agree. There is one Casablanca still like better but this is a damn nice poster.
I'm not someone else.