RIP gigposters dot com?

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:30 am

pj101ca wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Call me old fashioned, but I still don't see how FB is a good replacement for a forum.
get with the times, grandpa!
Which sweet fb groups are ya a member of?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Codeblue wrote:
pj101ca wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Call me old fashioned, but I still don't see how FB is a good replacement for a forum.
get with the times, grandpa!
Which sweet fb groups are ya a member of?
i'm too busy playing my Atari 2600 to join facebook
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
omyweenis
Art Expert

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:16 pm

I haven't been able to navigate through archive here on EB in over month so without problems. Is this site going down, or am I just asked out? I don't do Facebook. :hanging:
fredo
Art God

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:50 pm

Huh? Place has never been better.
How are you?
just a foil for me today, thanks
moonshine
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:41 pm

New arrivals at GP was such a great place to discover new artists and see posters that would never be tracked here thanks to the Mondo years.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:49 pm

moonshine wrote:New arrivals at GP was such a great place to discover new artists and see posters that would never be tracked here thanks to the Mondo years.
I don't understand what that means.
So it goes...
fredo
Art God

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:28 pm

mfaith wrote:
moonshine wrote:New arrivals at GP was such a great place to discover new artists and see posters that would never be tracked here thanks to the Mondo years.
It means the "new arrivals" section at gp was a better place to find gigposters/discover artists than EB post-mondo invasion.
Which is true- I used to search GP for stuff, buy it, and then add it here.
omyweenis
Art Expert

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:35 pm

IMG_2597.PNG
i get this a lot. i can't look up a print in archive or look at new trades. i know i don't participate much. so if its just me, and i should kick rocks, let me know. :?
fredo
Art God

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:48 pm

We're currently down to the inside left engine and losing altitude over the pacific.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=60638
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:44 am

For reals.

Also FB works well for fans and artists, as long as both are on FB. It works very well as a Jay Ryan fan. Of course if one or both aren't on FB, a message board is better. Jermaine said it best, once FB took hold he was able to have his own clubhouse and the people came to him and play by his rules. GeePee became less easy vs FB for him.

The real loss since GP closed is the new artist. Unless you make tv/movie art EB just won't be there to help them in the early days like GP would have.
canuck
Art Freak

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:48 am

Damn, I had more posts on GP then I do on EB.

kidding.
veltri
Art Expert

Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Got my first poster through a gigposters search and then contacting the artist. I liked searching for posters by band with those large thumbnails.

I also enjoyed your process thread, Crosshair. Justin Santora's too.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
jeverettmorton

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:14 pm

I feel like I was fortunate to get in at GP before folks abandoned ship. It was still pretty welcoming when I joined there, but towards the end you might ask a question and someone would say "We've talked about this already. Search for it." To a point that is fair. People shouldn't be expected to be spoon fed. Do your homework. Yet there were times I searched and read a twenty page thread about printing with house paint (and frequent tangents on cheese and other inside jokes) and still had questions, so I feel like I had to summarize all the things I'd read when posting a question.

And while I'm part of some Facebook groups where I can ask similar questions, there isn't a great way to search those pages.

In summary: In summary, everyone who prints with house paint really digs it for two weeks and then realizes it's not worth the hassle. Now someone get over to the temporary/new GP and answer my questions about ink.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:44 pm

jeverettmorton wrote:In summary: In summary, everyone who prints with house paint really digs it for two weeks and then realizes it's not worth the hassle.

Ha-ha! So true. I used house paint at first - the paint dried so fast it kept clogging areas in my screens. I guess it doesn't help that I live in the desert (too dry.)

I'd gone to GP forum with a question or two and the folks there were helpful. I love how they encouraged each other at GP - here on EB...not so much.
TOTM
Art Expert

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:47 am

fredo wrote:
mfaith wrote:
It means the "new arrivals" section at gp was a better place to find gigposters/discover artists than EB... PERIOD!!!
Which is true- I used to search GP for stuff, buy it, and then add it here.
I really am missing checking in with the New Arrivals I must say... Not happy Jan!