GRAFTER "Splash" New Oversized Paper Edtions

General art-related discussion.
Grafter
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 14, 2016 10:25 am

Hi, Today I have released a new edition of "Splash".

These are Oversize prints hand painted onto 44x30 inch Somerset 300 gsm Paper and are Blindstamped, signed and numbered by the artist. The paint used for the splash is a more liquid and fluid paint than previously used and the results are a more explosive/realistic splash than ever before.

They are available ONLY through my online shop at http://www.grafter.bigcartel.com

rubberneck
Art God

Sat May 14, 2016 10:57 am

Nice but lately it seems like more and more artists are releasing new editions of their signature pieces.

As a collector, it's hard to justify putting down a larger sum based on the 'limited edition' nature of the relevant release unsure if another edition is forthcoming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Amisch
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 1:18 pm

^ :clap:

Agreed--such an iconic piece. I'm actually staring at my framed "Bomb It" from Grafter right now and hope that it doesn't happen to that piece too. Hate seeing the limited run of these sexy prints tarnished by 2nd or 3rd editions with a little change in paint color or paper size. It happened with a bunch of my great Alex Pardee pieces and sometimes it bothers me--not to a serious extent, but it does. I hope this isn't a continuing trend.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat May 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Didn't even know this dude was still around.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
rubberneck
Art God

Sat May 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Amisch wrote:^ :clap:

Agreed--such an iconic piece. I'm actually staring at my framed "Bomb It" from Grafter right now and hope that it doesn't happen to that piece too. Hate seeing the limited run of these sexy prints tarnished by 2nd or 3rd editions with a little change in paint color or paper size. It happened with a bunch of my great Alex Pardee pieces and sometimes it bothers me--not to a serious extent, but it does. I hope this isn't a continuing trend.
Its the premium that's applied to the fact they are limited edition that stings.

If I like a piece and it's open edition then that's fine, no issue, if I like the art, it's irrelevant. When a limited edition becomes another edition, then it's unfair to apply that premium in the first place.

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Here, I've got more of an issue with execution. The examples pictured above look like a step back for the artist and look more amateurish than the first ones. No progress in image, technique or final product IMO.
Cheese318
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 14, 2016 2:12 pm

rubberneck wrote:Nice but lately it seems like more and more artists are releasing new editions of their signature pieces.

As a collector, it's hard to justify putting down a larger sum based on the 'limited edition' nature of the relevant release unsure if another edition is forthcoming.

Agreed. Shouldn't this be called an offset edition? I guess since it's bigger it can be manipulated but I would figure at least state that
rubberneck
Art God

Sat May 14, 2016 2:13 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Here, I've got more of an issue with execution. The examples pictured above look like a step back for the artist and look more amateurish than the first ones. No progress in image, technique or final product IMO.
I have a Bomb It which has really thick inks, it's 3D essentially.

These do seem to be printed on thinner paper and the ink appears quite light.

Amisch
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Yup--bomb it was thick and is spread out nicely.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 3:02 pm

Splattering paint and not having the end result look like fudge is a lot harder than one would think.

...and yeah, Bomb It rules!
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 14, 2016 4:16 pm

thanks, that was a fun watch :D
ImageImageImage
lujborg
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 6:43 pm

I support artists cashing in on their previous successes. grafter's baby hungry. grafter's baby gotta eat. in before the "doyle'd" :roll:
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 10:49 pm

44x30 is no joke! Is the paper thick enough for all that ink? Looks like it's kinda waving. I do love the image.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 am

Needs more rainbows and a lenticular edition
treweman
Art Expert

Tue May 17, 2016 7:20 am

IMO, too many people/collectors treat artists like Gods. They can do no wrong, they are better and wiser than we mere mortals (and non-artists). The decisions they make must be well thought out and make sense. Well I say rubbish. This idea, this release is a mistake. As someone who buys art, and supports artists by buying art, I resent this release. It also makes me sad, as IMO it is tantamount to an admission that an artists career is coming to an end. I thought that the release of Splash Back in 2013 was a sign that Grafter was struggling with his vision, with his artistic creativity. This release is more than a sign.