General art-related discussion.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:44 pm

wow, beauty!
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:06 pm

jayper wrote:Been waiting on this one! So good.

Getting an initial release at MondoCon and then online next week!
Just to next page it.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:32 pm

That's gorgeous
So it goes...
AZD
Art Enthusiast

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:47 pm

I love this series. I love the concept... I love the subject matter... I love that someone has taken the initiative to arrange this and draw attention to our country's "best idea."

I'm wondering a bit about how the subject matter is chosen for each park. Does the artist have intimate knowledge of the park? Is the artist traveling to the park to experience it? Does the artist go off guidance from someone who does have knowledge of the park?

IMO, they've done a pretty good job with each park. I don't know all of the parks that have been released, but I have 2 questions about ones that I do know.

Kenai Fjords NP is best known for the Harding Icefield which feeds 40-ish glaciers and is the largest single icefield in the US. The fjords that give the park it's name, are the product of the glaciers. It's a shame that the print doesn't make any reference to the expanse of ice that powers the park. Also, a quick Google image search of "Kenai Fjords National Park" shows a stock image that's strikingly similar to the print. While Porcupine Bay, which is depicted in this image, is interesting, I'm wondering if it captures the essence - and icons - of the park... the ice. Glaciers, icebergs, etc. Most of the activities in this tough to visit park revolve around the ice.... hiking the Harding Icefield Trail alongside Exit Glacier (the iconic glacier that is the sole point of contact for most park visitors), or experiencing the icebergs that bump against the cruise ships that are taking tourists to see the glaciers that meet the sea and calve with incredible drama.

For the Grand Canyon NP print, why include a solo kayaker? It's a rare day to spot a kayaker in the canyon, let alone on calm water. Much more likely to see whitewater boats. Spectacular print though... the layering in the colors is outstanding.

Just curious about how the artists chose what to feature. Great prints. I'm always anxious to see which park is next, who the artist is, and what they chose to capture. I'm wishing I did the print club as I'm sure I'll end up with more than 5 of these.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:54 pm

JP had a really nice booth set up at Mondo-Con, which predominantly featured the Parks series. Great having a chance to chat with him about it all. :pint:

So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:49 pm

So it goes...
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm

I gotta be on this new one for a park just down the road. Nice work too.
ImageT.K.C.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:27 pm

AZD wrote:I love this series. I love the concept... I love the subject matter... I love that someone has taken the initiative to arrange this and draw attention to our country's "best idea."

I'm wondering a bit about how the subject matter is chosen for each park. Does the artist have intimate knowledge of the park? Is the artist traveling to the park to experience it? Does the artist go off guidance from someone who does have knowledge of the park?

IMO, they've done a pretty good job with each park. I don't know all of the parks that have been released, but I have 2 questions about ones that I do know.

Kenai Fjords NP is best known for the Harding Icefield which feeds 40-ish glaciers and is the largest single icefield in the US. The fjords that give the park it's name, are the product of the glaciers. It's a shame that the print doesn't make any reference to the expanse of ice that powers the park. Also, a quick Google image search of "Kenai Fjords National Park" shows a stock image that's strikingly similar to the print. While Porcupine Bay, which is depicted in this image, is interesting, I'm wondering if it captures the essence - and icons - of the park... the ice. Glaciers, icebergs, etc. Most of the activities in this tough to visit park revolve around the ice.... hiking the Harding Icefield Trail alongside Exit Glacier (the iconic glacier that is the sole point of contact for most park visitors), or experiencing the icebergs that bump against the cruise ships that are taking tourists to see the glaciers that meet the sea and calve with incredible drama.

For the Grand Canyon NP print, why include a solo kayaker? It's a rare day to spot a kayaker in the canyon, let alone on calm water. Much more likely to see whitewater boats. Spectacular print though... the layering in the colors is outstanding.

Just curious about how the artists chose what to feature. Great prints. I'm always anxious to see which park is next, who the artist is, and what they chose to capture. I'm wishing I did the print club as I'm sure I'll end up with more than 5 of these.

Regarding the image and whether it represents the park, I understand your sentiments. But that park is largely explored via boat, kayak, etc on the waterways (i.e., fjords). So while the Harding icefield is the source of those glaciers that carved the fjords, and also while you can hike up to and across the Harding ice field like Jewel's grandfather did, the water is a perfectly fitting way to represent the park, as that is the most common way it is done.
ImageT.K.C.
AZD
Art Enthusiast

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:16 pm

bryndavies wrote: Regarding the image and whether it represents the park, I understand your sentiments. But that park is largely explored via boat, kayak, etc on the waterways (i.e., fjords). So while the Harding icefield is the source of those glaciers that carved the fjords, and also while you can hike up to and across the Harding ice field like Jewel's grandfather did, the water is a perfectly fitting way to represent the park, as that is the most common way it is done.
I understand and don't disagree with you. My time in KFNP is probably equally split between the Harding trail and kayaking or water taxiing to distant parts of the park to kayak.

I was basically using the example to ask the question because I'm curious about how the artists choose their subject matter. It seems that the iconic images of certain parks are reflected in some prints, but not in others. I love that people see the parks in different ways. :)
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:12 pm

fiftynineparks wrote:Sneak peek of a little more of @turnhamator's #greatsmokymountains poster. Print goes up online tomorrow at 12pm cst! #59ps #findyourpark #printmaking #bears #waterfall #smokys #nationalparks #fiftynineparks
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:49 pm

New Membership options available for 2017 https://www.59parks.net/products/2017-p ... membership
We now have three membership options to choose from. While each option comes with it's own special perks all memberships get you early access to new releases by artists like Teagan White, Ken Taylor, and Daniel Danger. You'll also receive shop credit so you can pick only the prints you love the most! Here's what you get for being a member:

Gold Member
We're offering only 10 Gold Memberships for 2017. The $750 Gold Membership gets you:
* $825 credit to the shop (that's $75 in free shop credit!)
* One free 24x32" limited edition print from the archives. This is a print of our choice that is sold out online ($100+ value)
* One free Fifty-Nine Parks Print Series Pennant

Silver Membership
We're offering just 25 Silver Memberships for 2017. The $500 Silver Membership gets you:
* $550 credit to the shop (that's $50 in free shop credit!)
* One free 24x32" limited edition poster of our choice ($80-$100 value)
* One free Fifty-Nine Parks Print Series Patch

Bronze Membership
We're offering 35 Bronze Memberships for 2017. The $250 Bronze Membership gets you:
* $275 credit to the shop (that's $25 in free shop credit!)
* One free 18x24" open edition poster of our choice ($40-$60 value)
* One free Fifty-Nine Parks Print Series Sticker
So it goes...
agr719
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm

This is probably a question for the 59 Parks crew themselves, so I will email them, but I'll also ask here. I noticed that the regular edition of Great Smoky Mountains (and also Guadalupe Mountains) is sold out. Aren't these supposed to be open editions? I suppose it's just a matter of waiting until they get more printed up, but I just wanted to be sure that I didn't misunderstand the "18 x 24 open edition" part somehow. Was hoping to grab that one for my folks someday, but didn't see the need to rush.
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
agr719
Art Expert

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:30 pm

agr719 wrote:This is probably a question for the 59 Parks crew themselves, so I will email them, but I'll also ask here. I noticed that the regular edition of Great Smoky Mountains (and also Guadalupe Mountains) is sold out. Aren't these supposed to be open editions? I suppose it's just a matter of waiting until they get more printed up, but I just wanted to be sure that I didn't misunderstand the "18 x 24 open edition" part somehow. Was hoping to grab that one for my folks someday, but didn't see the need to rush.
Never mind, back in stock. Figured that would be the case.
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:53 pm

fiftynineparks wrote:Sneak peek of @oliverbarrett's new print coming this Wednesday. We'll have both the timed and standard edition prints up at 12 noon! #59ps #fiftynineparks #oliverbarrett #whale #orca #killerwhale #nationalparks #findyourpark
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Oliver Barrett back again, with lady liberty...

So it goes...