Tomokazu Matsuyama - questions????

General art-related discussion.
guru59
Art Connoisseur
Location: probably an airplane, strike that, in the mountains of Chamonix

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:53 pm

I'm curious why Matsu gets zero love on this forum. Realizing he's not street art but this forum is more than that. Not sure if anyone has been to any of his shows but his originals are I.N.S.A.N.E. Contemporary art at it greatest. The guy is young and knocking it out of the park right now with Nike deals, music art, and most important selling originals like it's pie.

Curious to hear thoughts on this as I think his prints, which aren't that many, will be worth a pretty penny some day. Take "Mr. Alpha" for example. It's a small print run (50) that includes hand finishing over a 20 color screen print, for $415. People pay that for a crappy Fairey print that has 2 colors and hands that look like a dead person. Anyway, his work including this print are simply amazing in person.

If you haven't checked this guy out, I highly suggest it. There are still a few prints available on the net and over at PaperMonster. He's doing a show south of the border later this year as well.
"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:58 pm

I ain't drymountin' with circle prints.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:02 pm

alittle wrote:I ain't drymountin' with circle prints.

They look super dope framed up. I'll put a pick on here later.

And it's not hurting his OG's which are selling for $25-$80K+, at least the circle ones.
"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 pm

OK.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:23 pm

guru59 wrote:

And it's not hurting his OG's which are selling for $25-$80K+, at least the circle ones.
I think you just answered your own question! Buncha poors up in hur.

Also, his stuff doesn't flip. Only fudge that flips gets a lot of press here.

And yeah, 23 layer screen print with hand-finishing?! Pretty sweet.

http://papermonster.net/item.php?item=162
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:31 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
guru59 wrote:

Make it 100 layers. Doesn't make the image any better.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Agreed. Not a fan of his imagery. I'd love to see some in person though.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
trarex
Art Expert

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:09 am

meh
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
taylorph
Art Expert

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:23 am

Babb?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
1000steps
Art Expert

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:57 am

:lurk:
Welcome to the sleaze pit
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:59 am

Saw his show with Tara Mcpherson a few years ago at Levine Gallery. His stuff blew me away and yea I think his smallest piece was about 25/30k and also every painting was sold before the show even opened.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:30 pm

lemtar999 wrote:Saw his show with Tara Mcpherson a few years ago at Levine Gallery. His stuff blew me away and yea I think his smallest piece was about 25/30k and also every painting was sold before the show even opened.

Bingo. Even if you had the jack, it's typically not available. Just crazy people aren't scooping up the prints for nothing more than an investment. Hard pressed to think they're not going to be worth 10X in the years to come. Pretty good bet on your money. I've got 3 of his prints and thinking about getting an extra of each to put in the flat file. It really is incredible live.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:31 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
guru59 wrote:

I think you just answered your own question! Buncha poors up in hur.

Also, his stuff doesn't flip. Only fudge that flips gets a lot of press here.

I always forget about the flipping here, at least the quick flip. His originals in person are quite the show.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Your problem is thinking that most artists original market has any bearing whatsoever on their prints. Prints are 4 poors.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
alittle
Art Freak

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:06 pm

guru59 wrote:
lemtar999 wrote:Saw his show with Tara Mcpherson a few years ago at Levine Gallery. His stuff blew me away and yea I think his smallest piece was about 25/30k and also every painting was sold before the show even opened.

Bingo. Even if you had the jack, it's typically not available. Just crazy people aren't scooping up the prints for nothing more than an investment. Hard pressed to think they're not going to be worth 10X in the years to come. Pretty good bet on your money. I've got 3 of his prints and thinking about getting an extra of each to put in the flat file. It really is incredible live.
Sounds like you should buy the whole stock from Papermonster.

P.S. have you checked the auction results on the originals? The last two 42" circle canvases went for about $19,275 incl. premium. Back out the buyer's premium of 25%, seller's fees of likely 10%, and it sounds like a splendid way to lose $10K on your initial $25K "investment".