Tomokazu Matsuyama - questions????

General art-related discussion.
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Not one to diss on another's art (lord know my tastes need a thick layer of dust) but 25 layers, 50 layers, 100+ layers if it doesn't speak to me then its not something I want. Simple as that.

Don't get me twisted, I will be in line at mondo-con with the next ya-hoo but thats because daddy has fudge that needs frames.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
guru59
Art Connoisseur
Location: probably an airplane, strike that, in the mountains of Chamonix

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:10 am

mrsippycups wrote:Not one to diss on another's art (lord know my tastes need a thick layer of dust) but 25 layers, 50 layers, 100+ layers if it doesn't speak to me then its not something I want. Simple as that.

Don't get me twisted, I will be in line at mondo-con with the next ya-hoo but thats because daddy has fudge that needs frames.
That is pretty much the reason art exists. If I don't like it, it will never make my wall. If it's never going to make my wall, I don't buy it. I've never been a flipper, at least not a quick one. I enjoy it and then over time if it's increased in value or remained the same, I sell if I'm over it.

I do like his work, especially after seeing one of his shows.
"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Now this is some good art!!! Very well done and brilliantly thought out.

Those lips though...
"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:47 pm

fudge iPhone pic but you get the point. To each his own I guess.
hxfour
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:34 pm

I love Matsuyama. His shaped canvases are insanely well done.

And I own a Mr. Alpha

guru59
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:59 pm

hxfour wrote:I love Matsuyama. His shaped canvases are insanely well done.

And I own a Mr. Alpha

NOICE! Love this print and the fact that's it circle. The hand-finishing and detail is simply amazing. Well done sir.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 am

alittle wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:06 pm
guru59 wrote:
lemtar999 wrote:Saw his show with Tara Mcpherson a few years ago at Levine Gallery. His stuff blew me away and yea I think his smallest piece was about 25/30k and also every painting was sold before the show even opened.

Bingo. Even if you had the jack, it's typically not available. Just crazy people aren't scooping up the prints for nothing more than an investment. Hard pressed to think they're not going to be worth 10X in the years to come. Pretty good bet on your money. I've got 3 of his prints and thinking about getting an extra of each to put in the flat file. It really is incredible live.
Sounds like you should buy the whole stock from Papermonster.

P.S. have you checked the auction results on the originals? The last two 42" circle canvases went for about $19,275 incl. premium. Back out the buyer's premium of 25%, seller's fees of likely 10%, and it sounds like a splendid way to lose $10K on your initial $25K "investment".
So, the most recent auction for this print is right at $16k depending on currency conversion. Luckily I took the advice and stocked up on prints, buying 4 😊

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun May 16, 2021 1:21 pm

You’re rich!

P.S. I think his print prices have been helped a lot by being added to the avante art stable. Their customers seem to buy up (at top dollar) just about anything they put out.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun May 16, 2021 6:26 pm

Strong 5 yr told ya so