Top 5 Pick-ups of 2015

General art-related discussion.
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:51 pm

ajaxbro wrote:It's fun to see what everyone's collecting. Looks like its been a good year for a lot of people.

Here's a few of my top items I picked up this year.

David Welker - PJ Sao Paulo 15 - Pen & Ink

FAILE - Air Wolf Bookcover

Emek - PJ Santa Barbara 06

David Welker - Winter Night on Centre St.

Munk One - PJ20 Billboard
^ Nice pickups ajaxbro! Love that PJ Santa Barbara and that Welker OG is INSANE!

I rate the photos as merely average though. ;)
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Emek PJ Santa Barbara... Killer.
A real gem.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18 pm

turnJBup wrote:Emek PJ Santa Barbara... Killer.
A real gem.
ajaxbro
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:55 pm

downforcemedia wrote:
^ Nice pickups ajaxbro! Love that PJ Santa Barbara and that Welker OG is INSANE!

I rate the photos as merely average though. ;)
Haha. We all cant have D4s.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Baker wrote:
pewter14 wrote:
smellmysocks73 wrote:Great stuff, everyone! Congrats.
Starts a thread and leaves us hanging ...

Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
goldenrose
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Some amazing pick ups by folks here and lot's of fun checking them all out - congrats everyone :pint:

Rick Griffin Hendrix long iso finally found

Unknown 1970 Silkscreen - ZZ Top opened for the Dead

Mouse/Kelley another long iso finally found

Randy Tuten another long iso - beat to fudge but it’s got soul

Aron Wiesenfeld study - arrived just on time :) .
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
haven
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Great stuff, rose. That Wiesenfeld is gorgeous.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Hey, kids! Bonjour, good morning, greetings and salutations!

Well, all of my art (and lunch) money this year went to artists based in the UK, Russia, Latvia, Canada, and France. That's just incidental though as I don't necessarily care where the art originates from. Still, it's nice to know one's collection spans multiple countries...

I'm not entirely sure whether these are really my top acquisitions of the year as I think I could pick out other paintings equally as great. I'd also like to say in recent years I've been able to subsidize my art buying compulsion by selling off once beloved (untouchable) prints. I own zero Jeremy Geddes now. I shockingly and horrifyingly let go of a rare El Mac. So yeah, I'm now tapping into my own bone marrow and the excreted DMT from my own pineal gland.

I already know what my top 5 acquisitions for 2016 are (will be). All are currently being paid off...

George Morton-Clark - Untitled
(c. 2015) 33cm x 46cm oil on canvas
An experimental piece and much smaller than his usual work. The artist is currently working on a high profile (but for now secretive) project for Elevate London, specifically for Sue Whitely former head of Givenchy. This painting along with another companion piece I own is a result of his newer work with Elevate.

George Morton-Clark - In A State of Red
(c. 2014) 85cm x135cm oil on canvas
I recall being in a hotel room in Michigan when I reached out to the artist back in Oct 2014 about this painting. Just before he left for a trip to India, he agreed to a deposit. Subsequently, the artist shared that the painting was all of a sudden quite popular as his galleries in Germany and Switzerland were asking for it... but for them it was too late :artist:

George Morton-Clark - Selfie Art
(c. 2013) 150cm x 120cm oil on canvas
This painting was a part of "The Devil's Cabinet" show exhibited at Imitate Modern (London) in Feb - Mar 2014. The show was so popular that Beach Blanket Babylon in Shoreditch asked to host the show the following months - Apr - May 2014. There were a couple of narcissism themed works in the show. In one write up this piece was also referred to as The Art of Taking a Selfie 2. This painting was also used on the show's program guide. There's an Instagram image out there where a class of art school students from West Thames College attended the show on a field trip - and they're each holding the program guide with Selfie Art prominently displayed! I had known half the works sold during the initial exhibition run...so I was a bit surprised when learning of this painting's availability later in the year. I finished paying it off earlier in 2015.

Jana Brike - Crowning of a Young Queen
(c.2014) 23 x 23 inches, oil on canvas
Exhibited at Modern Eden Gallery in SF back in January 2015. The show was curated by Stephanie Chefas who now runs her own gallery in Portland, Oregon. It's thanks to her I was able to get an inside track on this piece. The painting has been featured in Beautiful Bizarre magazine as well as countless other blogs and social media posts.

Jana Brike - Goldilocks' Holiday
(c. 2015) 16 x 12 inches, oil on canvas paper
Exhibited at Modern Eden Gallery in SF back in May 2015. About the painting, Jana writes, "This painting is an emotional self portrait of certain experiences and feelings I went through growing up. It is beautiful to me, and very personal."
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:39 pm

I like Jana's work. Looks like you got a couple of her few non-nude paintings. :)
jkw3000
EB Team

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Yeah, nice score with Jana's stuff. Bravo.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
alittle
Art Freak

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Love that last Jana Brike.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:05 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:I like Jana's work. Looks like you got a couple of her few non-nude paintings. :)
jkw3000 wrote:Yeah, nice score with Jana's stuff. Bravo.
alittle wrote:Love that last Jana Brike.

Thanks bulkhead72, jkw3000, and alittle! :thumb:
treweman wrote:Brilliant as usual, Entropy. I already told you how much I like Goldilock's Holiday, but In A State of Red is equally wonderful. Can't wait to see what 2016 brings your way.
Thanks, treweman! :cheers: I quite loved your new Esao Andrews acquisition! I know I need to add another Andrews piece to my collection. For now, I fear that I'm taking it for granted that he'll continue making masterful work at relatively affordable prices.
Last edited by entropy on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treweman
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Brilliant as usual, Entropy. I already told you how much I like Goldilock's Holiday, but In A State of Red is equally wonderful. Can't wait to see what 2016 brings your way.
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:10 pm

I'll play

and I'm counting this as one...
ImageImageImage
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:15 pm

alittle wrote:Love that last Jana Brike.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.