Transporting a collection - 2000 mile move

General art-related discussion.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:38 am

Anyone have any experience transporting a largish collection a very long way? We're talking over a thousand posters and something like 50 paintings/framed pieces - all very well-packed.

I'm considering some sort of pod-type moving situation (U-haul U-box or PODS), but am concerned about temperature/weather issues and everything being out of my sight for over a week. A moving truck is pretty much out of the question as I'll have two cats and a dog along for the ride too.

Bad idea? Terrible idea? Total crapshoot?
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:52 am

First off, whatever you decide to do, make sure you have insurance in whatever form that entails.

Are your 1,000 posters going to be traveling in a flatfile or something like that? If you are transferring it as a whole, I'd say as a week long venture you could put them in foamcore sandwiches (I'm thinking inside your flatfile drawers?) and the drawers locked. Without being in a foamcore sandwich I would be afraid they would get too much rub even if they are separated by glassine without something compressing them. I have no idea how you would protect paintings.

As far as transit I would go either with the pods or an LTL shipping company like Averitt Express.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:30 am

I don't know the answer but I like to think outside of the box...

Would it be cheaper to send your artwork, or cheaper to send your pets?

If the pets are what is keeping you from driving (which is seems you would be more confident in doing... And as would I)

Good luck. Congrats on having such an awesome 1st world problem. As a noob, I can only imagine having such a bad ass collection that it's a pain in my ass to move.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 am

Insurance? Where's your sense of adventure?

I may end up transporting some of the larger prints inside the flat file sandwich style, but pretty much everything else has already been packed up pretty much like Mr. Kevin Tong demonstrates in this video:
It was a weekend's worth of sorting and careful stacking. I never want to do it again. I have a couple of crates and lots of boxes and appropriate packing materials for the paintings.

Yeah, I like the whole fact that nobody else will touch my stuff after I load it with the pod. Will check out LTL solutions too though. Thanks!
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:43 am

@ bullelk

Ha...thanks. Get out while you can!

Yeah, I'm fairly confident at least one of the animals wouldn't make it if they were flown in (there's one old dog and one cat who doesn't care for travel).

Could potentially bribe some family into driving my car with the pets while I drive a U-Haul though.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:27 am

dwlfennell wrote:@ bullelk

Ha...thanks. Get out while you can!
The best advice I'll never take.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 pm

I moved from Chiago to Portland last summer

Use lots and lots of tape
mmmm Beer :pint:
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Yeah, there are few things more satisfying than packing something really well. So glad I finally grew up last year and bought a kraft paper dispenser and tape gun. Can't imagine what this would be like without those. I've used an obscene amount of tape so far.

You drive a truck/hire a moving company/use a pod kdh12?
ontheDL
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:42 pm

I've had several friends use pods and end up with stuff getting damaged. And then they avoid paying the insurance by saying you didn't pack it correctly. Even if it was packed perfectly, I'd have a tough time leaving a collection like that in someone else's hands.

What about renting a trailer?
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:30 pm

ontheDL wrote:What about renting a trailer?
This isn't a bad idea - my little car could technically pull it. Whether or not I'd need a new transmission after is another story. And then I guess I'd be limited in how fast I could safely drive.

Yeah, seems like some of the pod services like U-Haul's U-Box have mixed reviews. I'm not too concerned about damage from things shifting around too much, just worried about weather...or the thing getting lost...or it spontaneously combusting. If I go this route, it will definitely be an anxious week.
guryter
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 pm

2000 miles in which direction? I'm guessing northwest.......colorado?

Never had to move that far. I'd probably go print-glassine-print......then foamcore sandwich, then maybe another sandwich of some sort. Steel? Stone? Maybe adamantium.

Wish I was closer to help out. Best of luck with everything!
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Yup, you got it, Guryter! The wife got a job near Denver and has already started, so I've gotta wrap up work here, sell half of what I own including a house and attempt to get the animals out west alive.

I'll either sell all my posters before I move again...or just plan to die in Colorado.
quexzea
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:07 am

Try getting a quote from an art logistics company such as Aetna fine arts logistics. There are a lot out there and you'd be surprised how affordable it is. It may be worth it to you. A good logistics company will save you lots of hassle and worry...
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:16 pm

So thats more stuff than I have ever done, but I just did roughly 30 frames and then somewhere around 500 prints, maybe more, really have no idea how many.

All the frames I wrapped in a soft foam wrap, and then used bubbles on the top/bottom/sides and put them in boxes. For prints I had probably 5 folios that were filled up and then I had on top of that 2 of the archival boxes. One was oversize and one was smaller. I made sure I always packed those boxes biggest to smallest as I piled prints in, and then used tissue paper to cram the boxes full and hold everything in place. All the prints were also in eithe poly/mylar as well.

Then just taped the absolute crap out of everything, said a quick prayer, put it in a POD and hoped it made the 2400 mile journey safe....which it all did.

All in all thought I probably spent 10-15 hours packing all that stuff up to make sure it was all done as well as I was capable of. I bought all sorts of bubble wrap, cardboard, and foam wrap to makes sure I did the best I possibly could. Worth spending the money on it all though considering what all I was packing up.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Appreciate all the tips. I am going with a pod type scenario for sure now. Barring theft, fire or a rollover, I think I should be good.

Baker - did the same thing with foam wrap and bubble...and some more bubble. Also wrapped a cardboard shell around some things before more bubble went around that and into a larger box. Also bought 60 gallon garbage bags that I'll put (or wrap) everything into - juuuuust in case any water were to seep in. There will also be stretch wrap involved as well as some straps in the unit to keep everything in place as much as possible.

At this point, I've gone through at least 9 rolls of tape, nearly two huge rolls of bubble wrap, 1 roll of foam wrap and just a ton of foam core.

This has probably accounted for about 75% off all home packing activities.

It'll all work out...as long as all the animals are still alive and sane when I get there, that's all that really matters. If none of my possessions end up damaged, well that's good too.