So we are getting into pins now?

General art-related discussion.
Z0MBIEproof
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:04 am

deadbolt1388 wrote:
Gandhi wrote:Adventure time/cat dog when and where?
http://www.pinpinz.com/
very soon
Z0MBIEproof wrote:Bottleneck NYCC pins just arrived...they look amazing and are individually numbered. I'll post pics later if anyone wants
i want to see :D
Will do. When I get off of work I'll snap a quick pic for ya
Image ~ Image ~ Image ~ Image ~ Image
Z0MBIEproof
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:38 am

Bottleneck RR, JP, Zelda pins from NYCC

dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:40 am

Z0MBIEproof wrote:Image
Joe,

Are all BN/Pinpinz pins going to be numbered like this?
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 am

Z0MBIEproof wrote:Bottleneck RR, JP, Zelda pins from NYCC

thanks for the support man. Those came out great.

Yea most limited pins will be numbered. We had a few in production that won't have them. Josh has been working on a 3d one for like a month that is pretty awesome. Don't think he put numbers on those.

The releases this week will have them.
Z0MBIEproof
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:26 am

@acidburn....100% support man! They were very well made and congrats on the new endeavor. :clap:

PS: in individual numbering was a very pleasant surprise, great choice!
suchacyn
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:23 pm

fartiste wrote:Depending upon the complexity of the design and quantity, usually between 2 and 4 weeks.

I design the pins, and have them manufactured overseas. It was misleading that I said that *I* manufacture them: sorry about that.

My thoughts on pins:

Like any other business, it's a risk. If you make something that doesn't sell, there's a better chance you will recoup your costs (than say, selling shirts), but it affects your bottom line. You have to have an audience for your pins, and you have to know what people want, before *they* know they want it.

Lots of people say that pins are a fad: I don't disagree with them, but plenty of people have been selling them successfully as accessories for years prior to the pin boom of the last year or two. I think that if someone is serious about building a business around selling them, they need to have a niche/focus, and they need to build a relationship with their fans/customers. Otherwise, it's just a lark. And there are plenty of people currently flooding the market, making pins "on a whim." Pins are an oversaturated thing right now, and SO many people are doing the same ideas. This is the part that really sucks.

I think pins get a bad rap amongst people who are not fans. I don't personally understand it, but to each their own. People collect t-shirts, prints, and vinyl, but don't see enamel pins as art in their own right, which I happen to believe they are, especially if they are well-executed. I always fall back on t-shirts as an example: some t-shirt makers do well. They market their shirts as wearable art, and they are able to move their merchandise if they have a focused group of supporters (think Mondo, for example, who obviously has a fabulous niche). Generally speaking, shirts aren't "poo-pooed" like pins are. But why is that? Pins are also wearable, and they are infinitely more lasting than fabric shirts. Just stuff I think about.

As for cost... $10-$12 for a well-designed, well-made, novel pin is the sweet spot. I've had people complain, and fellow pin-makers say that that is overpriced, but I disagree. When you have folks making shitty pins for $5/$6 a piece, just to move inventory, it devalues pins as a whole. There is a wide range of materials and finishes you can use to make a pin, and when it looks and feels "jewelry quality," it should command a price that is fitting.

So, that was a novel! And information that no one necessarily asked for. Just thought I'd shed some light on the "business end" of things. Thanks for asking! It's nice to talk shop in some form or fashion!
Thanks for the info! Always interested in the nut and bolts of such things. :)
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:00 pm

If anyone got an extra of that majoras mask, I'm looking for one for my wife. Missed the online sale.
cutterbutter
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Anyone got an extra Majora's mask?
Is there a pin trading thread?

I have a couple ones I really like, I'm sure some of you guys have insane collections.
I just like wearing them as lapel pins for the most part.
fartiste
Art Enthusiast

Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:30 pm

suchacyn wrote:
Thanks for the info! Always interested in the nut and bolts of such things. :)

Absolutely! Thanks for asking!
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:01 pm

rimmer
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Had to have these!!! :)
ImageImage
Noah0189
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:14 pm

First pin purchase ever. Couldn't pass up a silver shamrock pin.
acidburn wrote:...Was one of those bootleg Spidermans that looked like a luchador and showed my excuse for a bulge.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:31 pm

5 more days til Halloween Halloween Halloween 5 more days til Halloween silver shamrock!!!
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
rickker
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Noah0189 wrote:Couldn't pass up a silver shamrock pin.
Image Image ImageImage
kill 'em with kindness.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:37 pm

The song has been in my head all weekend