Help me on how to start a collection...

General art-related discussion.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Buy what I'm selling.
kearney

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks for all the information. Now I have a more precise idea of what to collect and how to achieve my goal.
Nats
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:43 am

Check out 1 x run for the occasional print release by established street and urban artists. The quality ain't the best but they are really affordable.
christoffergaddini
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:17 pm

I think it's also important to take into account proper collecting etiquette when your buying and selling. To be honest unless you have a lot of disposable funds you'll likely have to make a few moves to get the cash to buy the pieces you want. However, reputation in this community can be quickly compromised so try to buy/sell ethically. Here's a few tips on my personal rules.

-don't flip new releases on the forums, if you wanna do that take it to ebay. This takes art out of the hands of those who want it.
-don't flip prints forum members give you a deal on. This happens to me all the time, people claim that a print is thier all time favorite only to have it in thier trades the next day. Once you buy a print it's yours to do what you want with it but I can garentee that seller won't hook you up in the future.
-hook up other members when you can, building a good reputation is as important as building a good collection. Charge cost and the price of your beers at the show.
-contribute regularly to the forum, people trust a forum member who's active in community discussions.
-make friends and create a network, this hobby is a ton of fun if you focus on the community and artwork!
Last edited by christoffergaddini on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in the entertainment industry? Check out http://dlreporter.com
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:22 pm

*etiquette
cesar888

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm more into gig posters but this was helpful too !
1000steps
Art Expert

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:32 pm

christoffergaddini wrote:In my opinion this hobby is to expensive not to take investment into consideration.
Well said. Operative word is "consideration". If you let money control your decisions, you will soon burn out on the hobby. The real passion must come from the art itself.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
blackbird68
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:42 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:Buy the stuff you like and enjoy. As someone said, don't buy 150 pieces just to build your numbers unless you like them. Being patient is the best trait you can have with your endeavor, prints pop up, you just need to be ready.

This

If you like it enough, buy it. The hobby is about getting enjoyment out of these things, buying just to buy will leave you with a mess of prints you don't want and a lot of regret. Be very selective.