Help me on how to start a collection...

General art-related discussion.
kearney

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:23 am

Few years ago I saw "Exit through the gift shop", which really got me hooked on art in General and especially on street/modern art, so recently I bought my first item on eBay (Ben Naz). I will get it framed next week, I really love it and want to add more.

But somehow I don't know how to build a decent collection. I am not in the market for items above $1000 (yet), so I guess I need to stick with "cheap" screenprints... I am contemplating to buy one or two screenprints for like $150 a piece (Shepard Fairey) every month, maybe add one or two more expensive pieces a year.

I am not (primarily) buying for investment purposes, but still want to see stable prices and a market for the art I buy. I live in Vienna, Austria so buying from European sellers is my preferred source (Import tax, fees and shipping costs from the US are INSANE). I really appreciate any help, input or ideas - please excuse my poor english.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:16 am

welcome - having gone through similar similar myself I would say you would be better served taking the $150 a month you were going to spend, waiting 6 months, then buying a single $1,000 print (unless you really like any of those cheaper prints in which case go for it)
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:17 am

buy mike mitchell.
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:19 am

GiantBoyDective wrote:buy mike mitchell.

He's joking.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 am

Also, I have a wide diversity FS. Wowza, instant collection. :pint:
limelite66
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:21 am

Always safe to stick with buying what you like. I find that quality of the collection over quantity is more rewarding, personally. My two cents... Have fun!
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Buy the stuff you like and enjoy. As someone said, don't buy 150 pieces just to build your numbers unless you like them. Being patient is the best trait you can have with your endeavor, prints pop up, you just need to be ready.
I'm not someone else.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I think you have the right strategy for just starting out. Shepard Fairey is a great "entry level" investment with Street Art prints if that's what you're after. They're not too expensive, usually in the $50-$65 range. Most prints, at the very least, maintain their value so later when you're ready to bump your price point up you'll probably be able to recoup your investment. Or hopefully make a profit.

Other street artists to consider in the under $200 rage:
• Cleon Peterson
• Faile if they release another 150 series print
• Icy and Sot
• Lucy McLaughlan
• David Shillinglaw
• Cryptik
TheBeard
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:09 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:boycott mike mitchell.
Fixed
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 pm

But what you like and what you can afford.

Learn from each acquisition and transaction.
1000steps
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 pm

Welcome to the sleaze pit
ochonueve
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Disclaimer: I consider myself a noob. I have some knowledge but don't claim to know as much as most people on here. Take that for what it's worth!

To echo some of the aforementioned sentiments, collect what you like. I started out collecting primarily urban/contemporary artists including: Nick Walker; Penny; Prefab; Pahnl; Mr. Brainwash; etc... It is amazing how quickly you will run out of wall space, unless you have an enormous house, in which case, collect it all ;) Anyway, I find it helpful to do your homework. Check the forums, blogs, instagram, facebook, magazines and see what you like. I find that most artists will respond to emails and are generally affable. I have been disappointed on a couple of occasions but they were both french (France and Quebec), so I am going to write that off. Sometimes a print + framing can be quite pricey and you can get a small original or more expensive print with better framing dimensions for a similar cost. I have started spending less on prints and am more into trying to get a few originals from artists that I like. Most of it is just trial and error. And most importantly, have fun with it. It's a great hobby. Best of luck.

Feel free to check out my modest collection www.hockeyandart.weebly.com
trarex
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm

You don't build a collection.....it just happens.
It changes , it evolves as your taste do.
Just buy what you like...........chances are in a year 3/4 of it will be in your FS/trade section anyways. :pint:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
christoffergaddini
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 pm

My biggest recommendation is to do a ton of research on the scene and market. Locate the pieces you want and save up money to pull the trigger when one hits the market. Otherwise you'll get stuck in the routine of selling off a bunch to try and make up the asking price.

Also, many will tell you to buy what you love. My advice is buy what you love from blue chip established artists. Once the dust settles on a movement only work from a handful of artists that pioneered the movement will remain valuable. If urban art is your thing you can't go wrong with banksy, Shepard fairey, invader, faile, dface, haring, dolk, or kaws. The sad truth is that 10 years down the line a lot of artists, while justifiably talented, won't have a market for their work. If an image holds value for you from a lower tier artist there's no shame in buying it, just do so with the knowledge that you'll likely not get your money back down the line if your tastes change.

In my opinion this hobby is to expensive not to take investment into consideration.
Interested in the entertainment industry? Check out http://dlreporter.com
zkreider
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:32 pm

I wrote a nice long reply...it got lost in posting. So I'll sum it up. Kn 09 I bought lots. Had two kids sold lots. Learned what I liked, bypassed the hype. Figured in wall space. Saved and bought what I really wanted. No need to list artists. Buy the art you relate to. Write that artist and tell them how much you appreciate their work. If you can't find anything to buy save your money for an original. Welcome to EB.