Cyclops Print Works: Release and Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
Blakamiss
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Nobody knows what's wrong with themselves and everybody else can see it right away.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Been waiting for a Whalen Ratatouille for awhile. Not a huge fan of this. The art is cool, but Ratatouille has the best color palette out of all the Pixar movies and I think not utilizing it is a missed opportunity.

Not trying to hate, but in my opinion the Cyclops posters by Tom aren't on the level of his other Disney posters (they were all fire before Cyclops got involved). I would love re-dos of Robin Hood, Ratatouille, and Inside Out. Love Whalen, love the movies, don't care for the posters or color choices.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Been waiting for a Whalen Ratatouille for awhile. Not a huge fan of this. The art is cool, but Ratatouille has the best color palette out of all the Pixar movies and I think not utilizing it is a missed opportunity.

Not trying to hate, but in my opinion the Cyclops posters by Tom aren't on the level of his other Disney posters (they were all fire before Cyclops got involved). I would love re-dos of Robin Hood, Ratatouille, and Inside Out. Love Whalen, love the movies, don't care for the posters or color choices.
Interesting. I don't find Robin Hood or Inside Out to be all that different from the non-Cyclops Disney stuff - Inside Out in particular has a range of colors there, and Robin Hood feels like it fits with the range presented from the movie (with the greens seeming to pop more on a well-chosen gold variant). But I definitely see the point with respect to Ratatouille - matches the Duel at Dawn design in terms of the chosen color scheme, which seems to favor a more monochrome approach. Not my thing personally, though cool if it's other people's. Just curious as to the reasoning behind that approach on something like Ratatouille - a film that I'd agree with RA in that it has one of the best color palettes among the Pixar films.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Image Image
So it goes...
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

I don't see much difference between prints like Little Mermaid/Aladdin/Incredibles and Robin Hood/Jungle Book/inside out. Aside from the fact that the stuff printed by Eclipse is head and shoulders above d&l quality wise. There are exceptions like Toy Story and Nemo that offer a little more filled out composition.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:47 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Been waiting for a Whalen Ratatouille for awhile. Not a huge fan of this. The art is cool, but Ratatouille has the best color palette out of all the Pixar movies and I think not utilizing it is a missed opportunity.

Interesting. I don't find Robin Hood or Inside Out to be all that different from the non-Cyclops Disney stuff - Inside Out in particular has a range of colors there, and Robin Hood feels like it fits with the range presented from the movie (with the greens seeming to pop more on a well-chosen gold variant). But I definitely see the point with respect to Ratatouille - matches the Duel at Dawn design in terms of the chosen color scheme, which seems to favor a more monochrome approach. Not my thing personally, though cool if it's other people's. Just curious as to the reasoning behind that approach on something like Ratatouille - a film that I'd agree with RA in that it has one of the best color palettes among the Pixar films.
The Inside Out poster is extremely white. That movie is full of bright, bold, beautiful colors in every frame and I don't get any of that from the poster. I get lots of white with a little bit of color mixed in. Not a fan of the girl's face all big like that. It just isn't an appealing poster to look at and I'm not a fan of the layout. That movie is super colorful and I wish the poster reflected that (needs more purple). The print has a lot of orange in it. The Robin Hood poster is also overwhelmingly orange and it doesn't have the colors that I remember from the movie (needs way more green). I wish he took a similar approach to Inside Out as he did with Finding Nemo. With Nemo being submerged in water, the print benefited from the non-white background in a way that I think Inside Out would've since it is submerged in the human mind.

I have a bunch of Whalen Disney prints (many are awesome prints for movies I'm not crazy about). Before Robin Hood, Inside Out, and Ratatouille were released, I was hoping for/anticipating posters for them. Perhaps my expectations were just too high, but for me they missed the mark and are underwhelming. Tom is still a master at what he does and a gd machine.

edit- My initial criticism of Cyclops may have been unfair. I like several of the posters they've done (Wall-E is especially nice), just not the ones mentioned.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Kramerica wrote:Aside from the fact that the stuff printed by Eclipse is head and shoulders above d&l quality wise.
FYI, I've been told that Eclipse is not longer a separate entity, and has effectively been absorbed into Cyclops proper. I asked about it when I started seeing "Printed by Cyclops Print Works" instead of Eclipse Workshop on recent listings (and wanted to make sure I had the correct info for the DB).
So it goes...
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 pm

mfaith wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Aside from the fact that the stuff printed by Eclipse is head and shoulders above d&l quality wise.
FYI, I've been told that Eclipse is not longer a separate entity, and has effectively been absorbed into Cyclops proper. I asked about it when I started seeing "Printed by Cyclops Print Works" instead of Eclipse Workshop on recent listings (and wanted to make sure I had the correct info for the DB).
I was curious about that wording as well.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 am

They were basically the same entity anyway was my understanding.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
playa787
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 am

Came to say how bland the colors on the Ratatouille piece were. Ya'll beat me to it. Thats two strikes for Ratatouille posters.(not counting those pieces from the soundtrack) Lets hope a third time is the charm. I think Landland would kill it.
But I do wonder if that comes down to artist choice vs how many colors the gallery is willing to pay for/ask for.
Last edited by playa787 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 am

The regular is fine but jeez, what’s the point of having a variant that is so similar and bland? Boring af. I love the design.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
playa787
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:26 am

earlgreytoast wrote:The regular is fine but jeez, what’s the point of having a variant that is so similar and bland? Boring af. I love the design.
Variant looks like if the reg was left out in direct sunlight for a few years.
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
BallandBiscuit
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 am

I too, was excited about a Whalen Ratatouille print but like most of you, was underwhelmed by the color choices. Not sure what went wrong there. Maybe they have an overstock of that brown/tan/orange type of ink from Duel at Dawn. Perhaps Cyclops has a secret variant in the works with more appropriate coloring? Doubtful but one can hope.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:38 am

Looks like the same coloring of the movie to me.

the overhead lighting in the kitchen is a little brighter. but overall its got the earthy and grey tones of the film.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:55 am

The issue isn't that it lands on a color that's faithful to the film, it's that the range stays monochrome instead of having any contrasting secondary colors. It's a choice that I understand for Duel at Dawn because of the Western angle, though I'm curious as to its application for a Ratatouille print when the expectation would skew more towards the other, less monochrome Disney posters he's done.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.