Cyclops Print Works: Release and Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Scored both. Only got the reg initially but the art print version came in stock. Will decide which one to keep later and hopefully trade the other one for something else Disney cool
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 04, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm not sure what Cyclops was thinking for this one. $200 for a print that has nothing to do with the movie at all? and a 200 print run to boot. Unless I'm missing something this is going to be on their website for a long time.

http://mailchi.mp/cyclopsprintworks/tdt ... 81fb24af6d
mrlanphear
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 04, 2017 7:33 pm

steelbooklover wrote:I'm not sure what Cyclops was thinking for this one. $200 for a print that has nothing to do with the movie at all? and a 200 print run to boot. Unless I'm missing something this is going to be on their website for a long time.
I think the higher price is because of the number of screens and that the artist is also the film's director.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu May 04, 2017 7:57 pm

It looks really good in person. The printer did a pretty remarkable job.
So it goes...
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 04, 2017 11:35 pm

mrlanphear wrote:
steelbooklover wrote:I'm not sure what Cyclops was thinking for this one. $200 for a print that has nothing to do with the movie at all? and a 200 print run to boot. Unless I'm missing something this is going to be on their website for a long time.
I think the higher price is because of the number of screens and that the artist is also the film's director.
I understand the reason it costs more. I'm just saying that it seems like the demand for this print will far far lower than the cost and total print run. I'm questioning the decision to produce it in the first place. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but from where I'm sitting it looks like a complete dud.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 pm

So it goes...
BavarianErin
Art Expert

Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 am

steelbooklover wrote:
mrlanphear wrote:
I understand the reason it costs more. I'm just saying that it seems like the demand for this print will far far lower than the cost and total print run. I'm questioning the decision to produce it in the first place. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but from where I'm sitting it looks like a complete dud.
I think you have a very narrow scope of thought when it comes to who buys Disney art. Talk to me after you have seen some of the pieces at the Art of Disney store.
ImageImage
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri May 05, 2017 8:13 am

steelbooklover wrote:
mrlanphear wrote:
Disney people will buy anything at any price basically.

Go look up Shag pieces and prices.

If I was a betting man I would say this will not insta sell out.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 am

BavarianErin wrote:
I think you have a very narrow scope of thought when it comes to who buys Disney art. Talk to me after you have seen some of the pieces at the Art of Disney store.
I know I don't have the broadest view of the art community. I'm just speaking from what I've seen on cyclops specifically. I've seen some really good stuff on their site that just never seemed to sell out especially when priced over $60
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri May 05, 2017 10:06 am

I'd only agree that it's not an insta-sellout because a run of 200 at $200 is steep, and it's paired with whatever dent the Disney show last weekend caused (major factor - plenty of folks probably saving their budgets for the Mondo drops). But Erin's absolutely right in that it's def not just for the poster nerd niche - as a piece of art from Howard himself that you're not exactly gonna find everywhere else for a very popular Disney film, that thing's a pretty big deal and will probably not be sitting forever.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
agr719
Art Expert

Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am

I like the letterpress quite a bit. Would love to see more in that series :pint:
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

agr719 wrote:I like the letterpress quite a bit. Would love to see more in that series :pint:
Agreed. Just picked it up.
Nothing better than letter press & deckled edge.
Hope to see more of the old Disney classics done this way.
agr719
Art Expert

Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

These are up, by the way:

https://cyclopsprintworks.com/

+1 letterpress, been quietly trying to accumulate some nursery decorations :pint:
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
mh4268
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 06, 2017 12:08 am

Picked up the letterpress for a gift for my sister in law, her favorite disney movie is the Jungle Book. I showed her a couple other prints, but couldn't see hanging a 24x36 print. This size should work. Also used the code for the free handbill.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:07 pm

More D23 stuff besides the variants to the Mondo Disney show:

http://www.slashfilm.com/cool-stuff-cyc ... -and-more/

JC Richard
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.