General art-related discussion.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Great design, questionable font.
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:21 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Great design, questionable font.
It's hard to read. At least in jpeg
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:26 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I don't think I've seen one of their in person. I'm sure they are great. Been in business way before us nerds starting flipping screen prints. There just hasn't been a poster I've wanted to snag yet.

Maybe they will do a dope Tron Legacy poster.
Disney has forgotten Tron.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:35 pm

mobius006 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:I don't think I've seen one of their in person. I'm sure they are great. Been in business way before us nerds starting flipping screen prints. There just hasn't been a poster I've wanted to snag yet.

Maybe they will do a dope Tron Legacy poster.
Disney has forgotten Tron.
Did anyone see the movie Tron?

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:39 pm

I know. Was crushed when they green light the sequel then canceled it.

Even more reason to hate Tomorrowland. It was reported that the financial failure on that film caused them to cancel Tron 3
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:01 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I know. Was crushed when they green light the sequel then canceled it.

Even more reason to hate david lindelof. It was reported that the financial failure on that film caused them to cancel Tron 3
FTFY
AliRock110
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Kramerica wrote:I really wish more vendors would make prints to the same standard that Cyclops does. The quality is superb.
I agree with all of this except for the fact that they roll their prints backwards when they ship. They charge a few bucks more than Mondo and BNG on average for prints. I pay the same 15 bucks for shipping that I do for Mondo and BNG. But they roll the prints backwards to save on using the glassine. Not a fan for two reasons; 1. I don't know if having the image directly facing the kaft paper is the best way to prevent scuffing. 2. When I flatten my prints I usually do so in a big group and it bothers me that I have to put all the prints from CPW facedown, when all my other prints are face up. Other than that one thing which I'll be more than happy to admit is probably me being a stickler. They are a top notch operation.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:33 pm

There's legit reasoning behind rolling it image-out for the sake of preventing scuffing/protecting the inks. They know what they're doing.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
BavarianErin
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:34 pm

AliRock110 wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I really wish more vendors would make prints to the same standard that Cyclops does. The quality is superb.
I agree with all of this except for the fact that they roll their prints backwards when they ship. They charge a few bucks more than Mondo and BNG on average for prints. I pay the same 15 bucks for shipping that I do for Mondo and BNG. But they roll the prints backwards to save on using the glassine. Not a fan for two reasons; 1. I don't know if having the image directly facing the kaft paper is the best way to prevent scuffing. 2. When I flatten my prints I usually do so in a big group and it bothers me that I have to put all the prints from CPW facedown, when all my other prints are face up. Other than that one thing which I'll be more than happy to admit is probably me being a stickler. They are a top notch operation.
Yeah, that's not the reason why they do it.
ImageImage
infrared90s
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:35 pm

they also use better paper, inks, and more colors on their prints...
AliRock110
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm sure there is legit reasoning for the way they roll(Wouldn't image facing kraft be be "image In"? Or this is another instance of me being left handed and living in a right handed world). They make prints that are spectacular and I can share the Art with my Daughter. Some of my favorite posters have come from CPW(Oriana's favorite poster is the Whalen's Inside Out). But when I unroll that kraft and I see the white back, I'm always on edge until I can flip that boy over, weigh it flat, and check the poster for scuffs. That's handling the paper a lot more than I'm comfortable with IMO. Again I think they are a 1st class outfit, I just wish they shipped the same way as everyone else I buy Art from. Not a deal breaker, just a pet peeve.
DeadHand
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:09 pm

AliRock110 wrote:I'm sure there is legit reasoning for the way they roll(Wouldn't image facing kraft be be "image In"? Or this is another instance of me being left handed and living in a right handed world). They make prints that are spectacular and I can share the Art with my Daughter. Some of my favorite posters have come from CPW(Oriana's favorite poster is the Whalen's Inside Out). But when I unroll that kraft and I see the white back, I'm always on edge until I can flip that boy over, weigh it flat, and check the poster for scuffs. That's handling the paper a lot more than I'm comfortable with IMO. Again I think they are a 1st class outfit, I just wish they shipped the same way as everyone else I buy Art from. Not a deal breaker, just a pet peeve.
yeah I feel the same way. Top notch printing quality. But yeah I always get worried when I'm flipping it over to flatten it. Same thing with Nautlius (they have amazing printing/quality control also).
lujborg
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:38 pm

AliRock110 wrote: But when I unroll that kraft and I see the white back, I'm always on edge until I can flip that boy over, weigh it flat, and check the poster for scuffs. That's handling the paper a lot more than I'm comfortable with IMO.

you're not the professional screenprinters that have decades of experience producing and shipping screenprints or else you'd see just how ridiculous that all sounds. screenprints are rolled ink side out not to save on glassine or to make things less convenient for those purchasing, but because that's the way the printed ink is preserved best - any printer that knows what they're doing will tell you its preferable to stretch the ink (ink side out) rather than compress it (ink side in). of course if you've already rolled the print one way, you should do it that way the next time you roll.

and always get a print towards the top of the stack if you can.
AliRock110 wrote: I just wish they shipped the same way as everyone else I buy Art from.
everyone else is Uninformed
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
glenn1
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:41 pm

We get it, you love BNG.
AliRock110
Art Expert

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:00 pm

I do and I love what Cel does with Cyclops too. I also love my stuff to be facing the same way when I'm flattening it. I didn't understand why CPW does things that way and I appreciate that underneath all the swarm of telling what I am and what I am not, Lujborg was kind enough to explain why professional screenprinters with decades of experience printing and shipping prefer "Ink Side Out". I'm still a little confused why it's called that when the ink side is facing the Kraft but I'll be the 1st to admit I'm still learning new things everyday in this hobby. And again I'll point out this is a peeve of preference and I will always buy anything that Cyclips does that appeals to me. Not a deal breaker, just a pet peeve.