Cyclops Print Works: Release and Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Celsius wrote:Yes, the Whalen is $65.
Diabolos80 wrote:Celsius, thanks for the info on varnishes.
NP! Keep in mind we use varnish to protect the inks and to bring forth the color. It's basically a whole extra pass (9 colors + 1 varnish is the same amount of work as doing 10 colors).
That's interesting. Does it prevent chub rub? I'll be interested to see how it looks. I'm not even that big of a fan of JB among the Disney movies, but the poster was too good to pass.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:14 am

mobius006 wrote:man in 2012 these would have went for 199 easy same day on the bay..
Dat Mondo factor doe.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Superfro33
Art Expert

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 pm

The hobby has expanded by leaps and poors since then.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:01 pm

Superfro33 wrote:The hobby has expanded by leaps and poors since then.
This board is def much more sophisticated since then. The hunt for DrewJ alt's and Doyle's love affair with mums and piles of money is what brings me back on a daily basis.
Celsius
Flipper

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:07 pm

ajmmck wrote:
This board is def much more sophisticated since then. The hunt for DrewJ alt's and Doyle's love affair with mums and piles of money is what brings me back on a daily basis.
Sophisticated? More like boring.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:33 pm

ajmmck wrote:
Go check out the spusta thread if you want some serious joy and laughs.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jayper
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:13 pm

This is pretty rad. Looks like they added a 10th color to the Jungle Book print. Pretty bad ass.

Sounds like they added a "subtle metallic layer for Kaa and shere kahn's claws for better contrast/effect."

Hard to tell in the photos though, interested to see in person:

ImageImage

Also, off topic.

Does any recognize the Robin Hood snapshot on the left? I have really been wanting a Whalen Robin Hood for some time, and this really got me excited. Any one know?

ajmmck
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Is the registration off on the right (i think thats what you call it with the layers)? Looks like the scales on the lower belly are now protruding? Or is it just me or the photo?
Celsius
Flipper

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 pm

ajmmck wrote:Is the registration off on the right (i think thats what you call it with the layers)? Looks like the scales on the lower belly are now protruding? Or is it just me or the photo?
Just to do damage control before superfro starts to complain. That's a test copy that we used to test the colors on to show Tom. The registration is off on the entire copy. They don't do tests on good copies to see if it works -- elsewise we'd lose part of the run. They just finished printing them all now.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
ajmmck
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:38 pm

All good, sorry didn't mean to start a fudge storm.

Carry on.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:58 pm

If there is a Whalen Robin Hood on the horizon I might just crap my pants with excitement.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
ryan916
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Kramerica wrote:If there is a Whalen Robin Hood on the horizon I might just crap my pants with excitement.
There was a time when you could rent VHS movies at the grocery store, and I always asked my parents to rent that for me. They usually obliged, and I probably watched it hundreds of times.
recycler
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Kramerica wrote:If there is a Whalen Robin Hood on the horizon I might just crap my pants with excitement.
The best robinhood was the one that person made right before the Disney Mondo show. That was tight... Nothing ever came from it...
ahnonamis
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 05, 2016 12:19 am

Jungle Book and BH6 showed up today. They both look awesome in person, but BH6 is amazing. The online pics really don't capture the metallics of it.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 pm

My Jungle Book arrived today. It's pretty damn sharp. It has a nice paper stock (which was rolled image side out) and is already mostly flat. The snake and tiger claws are both shinier than the rest, which is a nice effect. Mine did had some kind of goober on Bagheera's hock, but I got it off with just a tiny spot remaining. Also the little hologram sticker is a nice touch. This was my first order, so I don't know if that's been standard.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi