Refunds and shipping costs

General art-related discussion.
Dubflakes
Art Expert

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:53 pm

I received a print from a business and it arrived with damage that was obviously not from shipping. I chose to get a refund from said business. It took 2 weeks for the business to refund my money and when they did it was sans original shipping cost (₤25). So what is the proper etiquette here? Should a business that ships out a damaged print refund original cost or original cost+shipping?
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:55 pm

You should get every last penny back IMO.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Noah0189
Art Expert

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 pm

I had a print get damaged by a very reputable gallery (and notorious for drymounting up prints). They agreed to pay return shipping and exchange the print. When my return arrived, they realized that they were out of replacement prints, yet offered me a very high end and rare print as an equal exchange. I gladly accepted, but no talk about return shipping being refunded. I let it slide since I came out alright, but still....it's the principle. haha.
acidburn wrote:...Was one of those bootleg Spidermans that looked like a luchador and showed my excuse for a bulge.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Dubflakes wrote:I received a print from a business and it arrived with damage that was obviously not from shipping. I chose to get a refund from said business. It took 2 weeks for the business to refund my money and when they did it was sans original shipping cost (₤25). So what is the proper etiquette here? Should a business that ships out a damaged print refund original cost or original cost+shipping?
I have always been refunded the full amount. Kind of the cost of doing business IMO. I do the same thing if I sell something on eBay, full refund including shipping. But I have heard of some galleries making the buyer pay return shipment if the gallery is sending a replacement print, especially if the shipping is overseas.

Tl; dr - kinda shitty thing to do, and relatively uncommon, but not per se wrong.
Dubflakes
Art Expert

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:04 pm

dropdoctor wrote:100% off your cost should be reimbursed. It's up to the seller to deliver what you purchased, and return postage is on them
Yeah I'm letting him know that's it's absurd to expect a customer to spend ₤45 in shipping costs and get absolutely nothing in return.

If it's damage caused by a shipping issue (it's not) it's their responsibility to file a claim, not mine.
alittle
Art Freak

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:05 pm

You should be reimbursed for 100% of your costs including initial and return shipping.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:36 pm

kansasbbq wrote:You should get every last penny back IMO.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
haven
Art Expert

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:47 pm

alittle wrote:You should be reimbursed for 100% of your costs including initial and return shipping.
I've found getting the return shipping paid for is a bit of a rarity.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm

I am assuming the one they can ship to a trailer with no zip code?
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:46 pm

The legal answer is simple, the ethical, well, not as much. At least in the states. It’s completely dependent on said companies return policy. When you buy something from a retailer they are required to have a posted return policy by law. When you enter into buying from that company, you have the opportunity to discuss that prior to buying it so you know what to expect in the event of an issue. You would be surprised what some return policies entail depending on sector.

But I’m normal retail like housegoods in clothing, most times it comes down to the size of the company for 2 BIG reasons. One, companies like amazon, sans amazons own delivery service, they might pay $2 for overnight delivery due to the insane volume. But for a mom and pop, it would cost them $40. So the smaller the biz, not only the more expensive the shipping, in ur case $25, but also the percent of their profit. And who knows, maybe some new kid packing the prints f’ed them all up and the print shop is taking a bath and trying to minimize exposure.

On the flip, if the issue was created on behalf of the company, regardless of size, in the name of customer service They should eat it and return the money to the customer.
Until you can welcome, accept and enjoy folks who’s views, looks, thoughts, struggles & values are polar opposites to yours, then you have NOT lived.