New to the art game, would love your help.

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
whl10
Art Expert
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:25 am

Sat May 30, 2015 11:39 pm

MaxCollinsII wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Don't listen to any of these EBers.
Wow, I am shocked how offensive you are with your word choices and equally dissapointed how much of a jerk you are to people on this forum. Why is that? Were you not hugged enough as a child? What gives? I go thru threads and there you are with your 39,000+ posts posting garbage. Being one of the elder statesmen here, you would think that you would act more like an ambassador for this place but it appears you prefer to act more like an a$$hole. (the sad part is, it probably is not an act) Max
overusedlaughing.gif
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52169
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Says the dude hiding behind yet (another) alt.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
sabotage
Art Expert
Posts: 2607
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 pm

Is taper back?!
User avatar
pixel2life
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:26 pm
Contact:

Sat May 30, 2015 11:58 pm

bkboy77 wrote:Check out KAWS since every music executive has one of his pieces in their collection.

Do you mind sharing what type of music you like to make? Who are your influences? Based on your collection (heavy on Obey stuff), I am assuming you are into punk rock.
I do like some awesome punk bands, and I am definitely interested in music that has a social or political message, but the acoustic guitars and keyboard should have gave away that I'm probably less punk and more one direction ;)

I'm actually majorly influenced by bands like Sublime, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Kid Cuddi, and James Blake. I like to combine elements of rock, acoustic and mellow stuff, with some elements of hip hop and/or dub.

And KAWS has some badass stuff from what I've seen, but crazy expensive and hard to get, can't wait till I'm a music exec and can afford that. Any tips on which pieces are sweet that I could manage to find?
User avatar
frykitty
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: too far north

Sun May 31, 2015 3:06 am

ethnosax wrote:My advice is to learn how to enjoy images without needing to own them. In the initial enthusiasm of this hobby, it doesn't take long to find you've purchased more prints than you'll ever actually hang on your wall. Every year there will be a few prints that you would absolutely love to own and frame; and then there'll be lots and lots of other prints that you think are pretty cool and might be nice to have, just in case. Make a Pinterest page or a folder of jpegs for those prints; then when something truly special comes along, you'll be in a better position to try for it.

I've also found around here that there's a lot of hype around every major gallery show or drop, which can make me feel like I must try for it if at all possible, because surely this is the biggest thing of the year. But then right after the date passes, that board goes completely silent and everyone moves on to next week's show. I also find that in the lead-up to a drop I can gaze at a preview pic over and over and convince myself that I really need that print. I miss out on the drop (almost always), and by a day or two later I'm wondering why it was ever such a big deal.

That doesn't answer your question about which artists to follow, but it's some observations from lurking here for a couple of years.

this
ImageImageImage
User avatar
bkboy77
Art Expert
Posts: 8581
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Burger King

Sun May 31, 2015 8:02 am

pixel2life wrote:I'm actually majorly influenced by bands like Sublime, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Kid Cuddi, and James Blake. I like to combine elements of rock, acoustic and mellow stuff, with some elements of hip hop and/or dub.

And KAWS has some badass stuff from what I've seen, but crazy expensive and hard to get, can't wait till I'm a music exec and can afford that. Any tips on which pieces are sweet that I could manage to find?
Thanks for sharing. As for KAWS, the only thing affordable right now are the toys. They are basically modern day sculptures.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
User avatar
pixel2life
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:26 pm
Contact:

Sun May 31, 2015 4:18 pm

bkboy77 wrote:
pixel2life wrote:I'm actually majorly influenced by bands like Sublime, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Kid Cuddi, and James Blake. I like to combine elements of rock, acoustic and mellow stuff, with some elements of hip hop and/or dub.

And KAWS has some badass stuff from what I've seen, but crazy expensive and hard to get, can't wait till I'm a music exec and can afford that. Any tips on which pieces are sweet that I could manage to find?
Thanks for sharing. As for KAWS, the only thing affordable right now are the toys. They are basically modern day sculptures.
Image

This is awesome.
User avatar
jmagee87
Art Expert
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Sun May 31, 2015 4:59 pm

So much actual advice in here that I wish I had known a few years ago...bravo eb :pint:

My only advice would be to listen to the decent advice already posted in here. It's pretty easy to pick out the good stuff

EDIT: I would also say that if you can take everything around here with a healthy dose of sarcasm, EB can be a great place
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
User avatar
TheBeard
Art Expert
Posts: 4500
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 am
Location: Vegass

Sun May 31, 2015 5:03 pm

MaxCollinsII wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Don't listen to any of these EBers.
Wow, I am shocked how offensive you are with your word choices and equally dissapointed how much of a jerk you are to people on this forum. Why is that? Were you not hugged enough as a child? What gives? I go thru threads and there you are with your 39,000+ posts posting garbage. Being one of the elder statesmen here, you would think that you would act more like an ambassador for this place but it appears you prefer to act more like an a$$hole. (the sad part is, it probably is not an act) Max
It is pretty rare to see a post of any genuine substance from CB. He's EB's version of Carla from Cheers.
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c
User avatar
jmagee87
Art Expert
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Sun May 31, 2015 5:07 pm

I personally love most of blue's posts. But as I said in my previous post, I take everything around here with a healthy dose of sarcasm. You do you blue
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
User avatar
christoffergaddini
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 pm
Location: City of Angels

Sun May 31, 2015 5:08 pm

My advice is to not listen to a single person on this board and buy only directly from me. Sure, I'll upcharge the hell out of you, but you'll learn valuable lessons about reasearching price points before buying :wink:


Note: Edo is a close friend of mine and a genuine art lover. Give him some good prices yall!
Interested in the entertainment industry? Check out http://dlreporter.com
User avatar
goldenrose
Art Expert
Posts: 2928
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Sun May 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Every collection needs this classic

Image
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
User avatar
Jamilton
Art Expert
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:09 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Sun May 31, 2015 7:07 pm

Every now and then I'll think Mr. Brainwash isn't so bad, then I'll be reminded of that garbage and be perfectly content never owning a single piece of his.
User avatar
bkboy77
Art Expert
Posts: 8581
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Burger King

Sun May 31, 2015 7:12 pm

TheBeard wrote:
MaxCollinsII wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Don't listen to any of these EBers.
Wow, I am shocked how offensive you are with your word choices and equally dissapointed how much of a jerk you are to people on this forum. Why is that? Were you not hugged enough as a child? What gives? I go thru threads and there you are with your 39,000+ posts posting garbage. Being one of the elder statesmen here, you would think that you would act more like an ambassador for this place but it appears you prefer to act more like an a$$hole. (the sad part is, it probably is not an act) Max
It is pretty rare to see a post of any genuine substance from CB. He's EB's version of Carla from Cheers.
He may be an an A-hole but he's not 100% a dick...
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
User avatar
earlgreytoast
Art Expert
Posts: 8437
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Sun May 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Say what you want about Codeblue, you'd be hard-pressed to find a member with more EB points. And every 75 or 100 posts he says something that cracks me the drymount up. :lol:

Who is the points king anyway?
Post Reply