Has a private commission group produced anything great?

General art-related discussion.
tranito
Art Expert

Sat May 16, 2015 10:21 am

dutchflowers wrote:
tranito wrote:What's the story with the Vanilla Sky?
It turned into chocolate earth...
OK, but why?
I'm curious cause it was the first and only commission I maybe would have paid for.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
agr719
Art Expert

Sat May 16, 2015 10:23 am

pittidesart wrote:Ferguson GOTG
That is the one that springs to mind for me, every time I see it I think, "man, I wish I could have gotten one of those at the beginning :cry: "

I still don't quite know all the details (was it commissioned originally by Marvel, and then a lucky extra group got in?), I just know I want one!
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Sat May 16, 2015 10:25 am

agr719 wrote:
That is the one that springs to mind for me, every time I see it I think, "man, I wish I could have gotten one of those at the beginning :cry: "

I still don't quite know all the details (was it commissioned originally by Marvel, and then a lucky extra group got in?), I just know I want one!
No he did it for the commission and since he works for Marvel he didnt want to do anything that would jeopardize their relationship so he ran it by them and they were ok with it and just wanted copies of the cast and crew.
Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 10:42 am

tranito wrote:
dutchflowers wrote:
tranito wrote:What's the story with the Vanilla Sky?
It turned into chocolate earth...
OK, but why?
I'm curious cause it was the first and only commission I maybe would have paid for.
Artist didn't want to step on any toes so pulled out after sketch was shown and initial work was started. Everyone was refunded their money and no one was hurt.
Go ahead, make my millennium.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat May 16, 2015 10:47 am

It fell apart for all the right reasons (artist decided to stop doing unauthorized commissions midway through the process), and was super cool about everything. I'm hopeful the image gets released eventually, hopefully in a legitimate, official way one day, it was really well done.
That's what she said
tranito
Art Expert

Sat May 16, 2015 10:56 am

finneganm wrote:It fell apart for all the right reasons (artist decided to stop doing unauthorized commissions midway through the process)
:clap:
Too bad it seems he's in the minority. ISO Vanilla Sky WIP pic.
What's his name? I hope he gets hired to do some legitimate licensed stuff.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
essential
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 11:20 am

I liked the Gabz Inception and I know I'm in the minority but I thought the Archer Fight Club was good.
i flip therefore i am
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sat May 16, 2015 11:28 am

tranito wrote:
finneganm wrote:It fell apart for all the right reasons (artist decided to stop doing unauthorized commissions midway through the process)
:clap:
Too bad it seems he's in the minority. ISO Vanilla Sky WIP pic.
What's his name? I hope he gets hired to do some legitimate licensed stuff.
He does legitimate stuff.

Personally my favorite is the Mac and me that was recently completed :drool: :drool:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 12:07 pm

I really dig these...

While not GREAT, still better than a lot of releases I've seen lately.

Also some great stuff coming out being worked on by Roby Amor, Mike Saputo, Kevin Wilson and more that are pretty solid.
Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.
jkw3000
EB Team

Sat May 16, 2015 12:13 pm

So...it depends on your taste, basically.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 12:19 pm

jkw3000 wrote:So...it depends on your taste, basically.
I'd say so, yeah :pint:
Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.
agr719
Art Expert

Sat May 16, 2015 12:36 pm

pittidesart wrote:
agr719 wrote:

No he did it for the commission and since he works for Marvel he didnt want to do anything that would jeopardize their relationship so he ran it by them and they were ok with it and just wanted copies of the cast and crew.
OK, thank you for the clarification, Tim! Still ISO :pint:
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
farva2
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 1:09 pm

I've been a big fan of a lot of the commissions as of late. Really depends on how much you like the subject matter too. Most of Eng's stuff is great, that fosdike point break, elite 10 stuff, and im in a bunch coming up that I think are going to be great.
mistersmith wrote: (an unlicensed Bad Boys 2 poster is probably the least essential use I can think of for a piece of paper. At least if you wipe your ass with some paper you will have cleaned up a mess).
bluestskies
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Yeah been seeing links to a Roby Amor Tremors that I'm considering joining and a few AJ Frena projects, who I think s also doing nice stuff.
bluestskies
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 16, 2015 1:24 pm

BenRichards wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:So...it depends on your taste, basically.
I'd say so, yeah :pint:
i thought this thread would go this way. look at all the different art posted. its definitely subjective, like with any gig poster, move, or artist, if you ask the great thing done for it or them there will be lots of different answers