Steps to getting a private commission done

General art-related discussion.
westb59
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Just curious in the steps to take to get a private commissioned piece done. I'm sure it's been on here before but I couldn't find anything on it. Thanks for the help or let the complaining start.
soam24
Art Freak

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:02 pm

downforcemedia
Art Expert

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Don't forget all the drugs it will take to get through it.

Oh, and the hair pulling out and overwhelming desire to go on a killing spree.
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Running a commission is cake, unless you're some mongoloid who can't manage a spreadsheet or pack tubes. Certainly not enough work to stress over or deserve pay for.

Contact the artist directly and ask if they're interested, find out what the price would be for whatever edition size you want.

Get a printer and their price. Don't forget APs and extras in case of shipping damage.

Get a group of people willing to buy the commission. Keep a spreadsheet of who has paid and who owes what.

Pay the artist and printer.

Ship the prints.
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:27 pm

FB says otherwise lately...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
listerfeend
Art Expert

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:13 pm

Bikejoh wrote:Running a commission is cake, unless you're some mongoloid who can't manage a spreadsheet or pack tubes. Certainly not enough work to stress over or deserve pay for.

Contact the artist directly and ask if they're interested, find out what the price would be for whatever edition size you want.

Get a printer and their price. Don't forget APs and extras in case of shipping damage.

Get a group of people willing to buy the commission. Keep a spreadsheet of who has paid and who owes what.

Ship the prints.
That sounds like several thousand dollars worth of work.
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:59 pm

rubberneck wrote:FB says otherwise lately...
Nothing but trouble lately huh. Both of the commissions I am in have been experiencing "issues."
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 am

Bikejoh wrote:Running a commission is cake, unless you're some mongoloid who can't manage a spreadsheet or pack tubes. Certainly not enough work to stress over or deserve pay for.

Ship the prints.
Don't forget shipping costs - potentially from printer to artist for signing then to commissioner (if the commissioner is doing the shipping) then to the buyers.

Oh, and also factor in PayPal fees (to commissioner and to artist/printer) including currency conversion where that applies. These can be applied separately or included in the overall price.

None of my 3 commissions so far has had issues. All have been on time and have been run on a not for profit basis
rocker
Art Expert

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:13 am

Theres a number of shady commissioners around, choose wisely which commissions you join.

If you want to run a commission OP, I can give you some tips, feel free to PM me.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/posterbuddies/
Facebook group for chatting about prints
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:25 pm

rocker wrote:Theres a number of shady commissioners around, choose wisely which commissions you join.

If you want to run a commission OP, I can give you some tips, feel free to PM me.
Why not just post them here?
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Both 'whose' and 'how many' fingers in the 'creative process' should also not be overlooked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Just ask yourself if you're willing to take on a part-time job for no money in order to get a poster that you may like done. Because constantly trading emails, managing expectations, managing artists, managing all the group members who will be on you if you're not prompt with updates/replies/tracking numbers/accurate pricing...yeah it's doable, but there's a reason why it's also a job for guys like Odd City, Grey Matter, etc. (on top of the enormous pain that is licensing/approvals).
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.