Who are the 15 most important (living) contemporary artists?

General art-related discussion.
sistinas
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm

a few others I'd nominate -

Kehinde Wiley
Alexis Rockman
Walton ford
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:41 pm

kinetic art has always resonated with me as a key development of the modern era and for me calder has always been my touchstone to the movement. Originating the mobile has to be worth something and his large scale public works i have always seen as hugely impactful like 4 arches in la and the universe in chicago.

now kenny scharf i think of as keith harring's roommate and i am sure some would take exception to that.
ricv64 wrote:Calder ? barley a post scrip to me . I think of him as Clay Spohns one time roomate . Can't get Andres murder trial outta my head . I read naked by the window
bk
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:12 pm

James Jean
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm

^ yup a rare case of agreeing with brad :wink:

Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Chuck Close
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:11 am

Claes Oldenburg
Christo

interestingly, both worked collaboratively with their spouses and funded their large installations by selling sketches & prints of their preliminary renderings.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 am

Nobody said Tauba Auerbach yet? Good. I haven't heard her name in a while, is that fad finally over?

I saw the Chris Berens show at Roq la Rue. Makes me want to put him in the conversation. But if you're only charging $20k for a piece -- only -- then you're probably still small-time for this discussion.

Who's the performance artist that build false floors in galleries and then masturbates underneath while guests mill about? That guy.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
admhall
Art Expert

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:10 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
alittle wrote:This is like asking a bunch of bums drinking jug wine what the top 15 producers in the world are.

Sig worthy
I want it! Def post of the week :pint:
ImageStout Lotto "0-fer"

Send Bitcoin here

1EM43nMpSTyZA5hbsgLWTfPS8H5BmT8NiH
Origo
Art Expert

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:31 am

sistinas wrote:a few others I'd nominate -

Kehinde Wiley
Alexis Rockman
Walton ford
Walton Ford is a good call for sure.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:41 am

mistersmith wrote:Nobody said Tauba Auerbach yet? Good. I haven't heard her name in a while, is that fad finally over?

I saw the Chris Berens show at Roq la Rue. Makes me want to put him in the conversation. But if you're only charging $20k for a piece -- only -- then you're probably still small-time for this discussion.

Who's the performance artist that build false floors in galleries and then masturbates underneath while guests mill about? That guy.
I was thinking Berens too, but followed your same reasoning on out.
plaink
Art Expert

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 am

Jules de Balincourt is looking to have a good run. Though there are only a couple paintings that really make me wish I had the cash, and they're mostly early ones.

15 seems impossible. hard enough to come up with 15 bands, much less important living artists who merit the mention even if they are important. But a fun topic.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:49 am

maddoghoek100 wrote:kinetic art has always resonated with me as a key development of the modern era and for me calder has always been my touchstone to the movement. Originating the mobile has to be worth something and his large scale public works i have always seen as hugely impactful like 4 arches in la and the universe in chicago.

now kenny scharf i think of as keith harring's roommate and i am sure some would take exception to that.
ricv64 wrote:Calder ? barley a post scrip to me . I think of him as Clay Spohns one time roomate . Can't get Andres murder trial outta my head . I read naked by the window
Dudes fudge is also always on antiques roadshow for stupid money.

P.S. Wasn't this supposed to only be for living artists?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ricv64
Art Expert

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:51 am

There's a great Calder painting in the Berkeley Museum . I'll give him that . The Vito Acconci story was they claimed he was underneath the floor masturbating . They never proved he was there and thats what they were pushing was that they were claiming it while not documenting it . How do you sell conceptual art is selling the documentation . I saw a Bruce Naumen show in Spain that was pretty cool .

AR Penck still alive ? pretty sure Haring saw his work
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
bkboy77
Art Expert

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:11 am

mistersmith wrote:Nobody said Tauba Auerbach yet? Good. I haven't heard her name in a while, is that fad finally over?
Too early to include her in this list. She has had a good run so far.

Other names not mentioned:

Tracey Emin
Sir Peter Blake
Harland Miller
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
Simulacrum7
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:16 am

dsanacore wrote:How about street artists? Top 15 around the world? Already had a pretty solid "contemporary" or fine art list but struggling to come up with 15 truly well known street artists.
Banksy
Os Gemeos
Shepard Fairey
Kaws

After that its a matter of opinion, and my opinion would include, in no particular order:

JonOne
Invader
Swoon
Faile
Brainwash (unfortunately)
Bast
Retna
Parla
D*Face
Eine
Vhils