Vanessa Foley's Aviary

General art-related discussion.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun May 05, 2019 2:51 pm

bapaik wrote:
KSUvet wrote:
KSUvet wrote:Lulz. I might as well have been ordering by stone tablet entering stuff in my phone. I don't know why it didn't auto fill.
I forgot about this, and it got me again. :toilet: :roll:
I had checked on other Big Cartel's...my CC autofilled in other places. But my CC did not here. So it did not work out.
Glad it wasn't just me!
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Sun May 05, 2019 8:03 pm

My shipping and billing address autofilled, but I still missed out. Oh well. Ya win some, ya lose some.
egrimens
Art Expert

Mon May 06, 2019 3:11 am

Half the stuff was gone by the time the link even populated for me...
dodgers77
Art Expert

Mon May 06, 2019 10:28 am

+1 Monarch Butterfly wood panel :pint: Can’t believe I was able to score one, missed on every sale of hers since I can remember, now just praying it comes safe to the States !
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon May 06, 2019 11:58 am

She packs like a pro. It will get here unscathed.

Congrats
I'm not someone else.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Yep. Boxes within boxes within boxes, and with a lovely, personalized note enclosed.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:01 pm

vanessafoley
Final WIP image of this Blue Jay from my new American Songbirds series. Really happy with how he’s turned out so far, which I’m more surprised about than anything, it’s not often I take risks with my work and I’m just grateful it didn’t end up in a muddy mess of gouache and tears. Any day that doesn’t end with me crying or a grumpy walk to the wastepaper bin is a triumph in my books 😂⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Thanks to all who’ve left kind comments or availability enquiries on the last post, I’m afraid that this piece won’t be included my next online release (late Oct) but other members of the series do plan to be in attendance (they’ve RSVP’d and everything!) so if anyone has any favourite Songbirds please let me know and I’ll try to include as many as possible 💙⁣⁣
I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm

vanessafoley
Just managed to squeeze in the last details on these two pieces before I take a weeks holiday from the Studio and was filled with a rare and delicious feeling of having all my ducks in a row and being super professional....... until I remembered all the emails I’m just horribly late in replying to and my beautiful bubble burst 😞 I’m going to try to respond to as many as I can before I sign off but promise to get back to all as soon as possible after my break. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Thanks so much to all the love and kind messages about this new series I’ve just started on, it was such a leap in style from my usual work but these fellows have turned out to be two of my favourite pieces to date! These two aren’t for sale I’m afraid but there will definitely be many more in the near future, I can’t wait to explore further this series of American Songbirds ☺️
I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 pm

vanessafoley
When I started on my new ‘American Songbirds’ series I knew I’d be stepping out of my comfort zone by incorporating drips and splashes in the pieces, but I also realised that I subconsciously shy away from certain birds because of their colouring. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This Baltimore Oriole is an excellent example of the type of bright, graphic colours I try to avoid but in for a penny, in for a pound I thought and I went for it and am so glad I did, loved every moment of working on this fellow and his beautiful sunshiny feathers 💛🖤💛

I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

vanessafoley
I’ve never painted a version of a fully rendered graphite piece before but there was just something about this fellow (second picture) that I couldn’t stop thinking about and knew he needed to be back on my easel again (Work in progress, oil on cradled wood panel) 🖤🦉🖤
I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 am

vanessafoley
Little Owl work in progress (one layer down many more to go) and a book filled corner of my tiny studio

vanessafoley
Finally done blocking in the main elements of this little fellow and excited to start on the tiny details! ⁣

I always like to set myself a new goal, technique or effect with each painting and with this piece I wanted to really showcase the Little Owls eyes, to create beautiful shining orbs that capture and reflect the light. I’m not quite there yet but enjoying the challenge

vanessafoley
One last close up of this fellow (swipe of you would like to see his full face) as I set him aside for a couple of weeks to dry before adding the last few incredibly important details to the painting. ⁣

And when I say ‘incredibly important’ I of course mean fiddling around with details hardly visible to the naked eye, generally faffing around, narrowly avoiding ruining the piece once or twice and then after a few sleepless nights obsessing finally admitting it’s finished....... It’s a process
I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:35 am

vanessafoley
Such a joy to have my palette filled with these jewel tones and my studio filled with a kaleidoscope of colourful hummingbirds! ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Along with a few Ruby Throated beauties I’m also working on some Allen’s and Anna’s hummingbirds for the first time as well as my all time favourite Lucifer hummingbird. I’ll be previewing a few of them this week and all will be revealed in the upcoming Autumn Release in late October (mailing list link in profile if anyone would like early bird notifications to the release ☺️) ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
In other (slightly grimy 😞) news, I unearthed this rather sorry looking tube of Gold Oil paint from the very bottom of my paint box #crimesagainstartsupplies and have rescued it to add the subtlest shimmers and refractions in some of the highlights of my hummingbirds. It’s looking pretty effective so far, but less is definitely more in this case and I never thought I’d say that about gold!
I'm not someone else.
gordo55
Art Expert

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Vanessa possesses MAD SKILLZ!
THC
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm

sjd3232
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:22 pm