Vanessa Foley's Aviary

General art-related discussion.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 pm

I realized that Vanessa didn't have a thread all to herself here. So I figured now was as good a time as any to start one. I've seen some commissions posted by Baker and some others in the proud sketches thread, and I've been following her instagram for a bit now (really worth the follow if you use IG). Following are the relevant details, and then pictures of the two lovely drawings I got in the mail today.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/vanessafoley/
Portofolio Site: http://www.vanessafoley.co.uk/gallery
Shop Site: http://vanessafoley.bigcartel.com/products

Image Image

Please post your own commissions or sketches if you have any.
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Some selections from her site

So it goes...
ZLandrum
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Love me some Vanessa. great gal. Here are the three that I have from her so far. I commissioned her for my pups.
Charles Stewart
Louise
and a gift for my mother.
Baker
Art Expert

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Here's my first commission from Vanessa, hopefully should be starting another one next month with her. She's got some skills thats for DAMN sure.

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
msalter
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:05 am

Vanessa is awesome. Here is mine, that is currently being framed.
kfweb_copy.jpg
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:08 am

:clap:

I especially love the little owl that Landrum got for his mother. Really great stuff all around. I enjoy her use of gold leaf a lot, like in yours Tim. Was that something you requested or did she suggest it?
So it goes...
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:22 am

mfaith wrote::clap:

I especially love the little owl that Landrum got for his mother. Really great stuff all around. I enjoy her use of gold leaf a lot, like in yours Tim. Was that something you requested or did she suggest it?
I requested it. I heard about Vanessa I think from Zach after seeing the owl he had done by her, and on the owl he had previously done for me it had gold leaf on it, so I wanted some more leaf to tie them together in a way.

ImageZach Landrum OG Detail by Tb252803, on Flickr
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:27 pm

vanessafoley wrote:Slightly cropped pic of my almost finished Desert Cardinal and Possumhaw berries oil painting (always leave the feets until last, so scary!) This piece will be one of the paintings I'm sending over to @antlerpdx gallery for a three person show at the end of April

I really love the colors of this one. :clap:
So it goes...
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:03 am

I really like her work but havent been quick enough to grab one from her site
dinkydoggy
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 am

rhythmgtr5 wrote:I really like her work but havent been quick enough to grab one from her site
Yeah, likewise. :cry:
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:14 am

vanessafoley wrote:Last of my series of New Zealand birds, a South Island Tomtit, this little fellow has sold en route to the gallery (The Artists Room, Dunedin). Really love the birds of NZ and I'm already planning what to include in my next set, fantails and tui's for sure
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:18 pm

vanessafoley wrote:Tried an experimental thing to give the gold leaf on this panel an antique look, it went awry then badly and then got even worse! Much panicking and googleing ensued, and although this isn't exactly the effect I was looking for I'm still quite happy with the results with the first pass of oils on the Winter Wren. If this painting goes well it will be included in my show at @antlerpdx and if not quite up to scratch it will go to a private collector (my mum)
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:59 pm

vanessafoley wrote:My Monday has been all about this little Goldfinch, and I couldn't resist painting that little flash of yellow on his wings with gold oil paint
So it goes...
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:02 am

Got added to her list, yay
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:09 pm

vanessafoley wrote:Starting on a snowy owl commission and looking forward to the weekend! This piece is graphite pencil on paper, I use traditional pencils for most of the larger areas of the drawing and then grab my beloved mechanical pencil (2B lead) and dive in to the yummy feather details. Happy weekend wishes to all

Snowy owls are the best! Fantastic start to this one. :clap:
So it goes...