General art-related discussion.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:34 am

Disagree with the change as well.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 am

Thank you for the explanation mfaith. I understand that breaking out all the bees individually was overloading her portfolio. Might we try something like "Gilded Bumblebee 2016, series I", "Gilded Bumblebee 2016, series II", "Pollen Bumblebee 2016, series I", etc., and have the individual paintings on the menu within each category? This way we could still set ISOs for specific paintings.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your hard work. :clap:
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:18 am

tweetick wrote:Thank you for the explanation mfaith. I understand that breaking out all the bees individually was overloading her portfolio. Might we try something like "Gilded Bumblebee 2016, series I", "Gilded Bumblebee 2016, series II", "Pollen Bumblebee 2016, series I", etc., and have the individual paintings on the menu within each category? This way we could still set ISOs for specific paintings.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your hard work. :clap:
This would have been a nice way to do it, if that's how it was done from the start. But the way that they were, it was next to impossible to identify which existing listing belonged to which sale. Some had release dates, so you could figure it out and group them that way, but not all did. And since previous sales aren't still on her site, there wasn't really a good way to determine that breakdown. Definitely open to suggestions for how to proceed going furthur, but the way that they were before was pretty messy, and we wanted to clean it up before her next round of sales. Feel free to message me privately if you want to discuss an idea you have for 2017's releases. :cheers:
So it goes...
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:30 am

This would have been a nice way to do it, if that's how it was done from the start. But the way that they were, it was next to impossible to identify which existing listing belonged to which sale. Some had release dates, so you could figure it out and group them that way, but not all did. And since previous sales aren't still on her site, there wasn't really a good way to determine that breakdown. Definitely open to suggestions for how to proceed going furthur, but the way that they were before was pretty messy, and we wanted to clean it up before her next round of sales. Feel free to message me privately if you want to discuss an idea you have for 2017's releases. :cheers:
Thank you mfaith for another thoughtful response. As far as sorting the 2016 bumblebee paintings, I did notice that the Series I Gilded Bumblebees were not dated. For Series II, Vanessa included a "16" in the corner of each painting. She may have done likewise with the pollen bumblebees. I only mention this in the hope it may assist for sorting purposes where there was not a release date mentioned in listings.

Thank you again for your hard work and attentiveness to issues with the site.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:22 pm

christorge2 wrote:Coming Home :lol:
Awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:51 pm

tweetick wrote:
Thank you mfaith for another thoughtful response. As far as sorting the 2016 bumblebee paintings, I did notice that the Series I Gilded Bumblebees were not dated. For Series II, Vanessa included a "16" in the corner of each painting. She may have done likewise with the pollen bumblebees. I only mention this in the hope it may assist for sorting purposes where there was not a release date mentioned in listings.

Thank you again for your hard work and attentiveness to issues with the site.
I took this offline, chatted with a few folks and gave it a bunch of additional thought, and here's what my plan is going forward. I really like tweetick's suggestion about grouping them by studio sale, with the specific ones enumerated as editions hanging off of that set's listing. It keeps the number of editions per entry manageable (~4-8), and it only adds a handful of new listings to Vanessa's portfolio within a given year. So going forward that will be the strategy. With that said, the 2016 case is still problematic. There were 3 or 4 rounds of those all jumbled and mixed together, with no good way to break them down more than we have already. With one notable exception: the oil-painted wood blocks that she sold in the last studio sale. That was the only time she's done those, so I was able to break that set down further, which you can see here: http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/231015 This serves as an example of how we'll handle future sets going forward. Additionally, I've added a [2016 Series] tag to the title of all of the consolidated listings so that they're consistent with the new listings created from now on.

For future studio sales that include bees, I'll create a single listing to represent that set, and within that listing, I'll add editions for each specific bee. In the title I'll include a tag to identify that set e.g. [2017 Series 1], [2017 Series 2], etc. Hopefully that allays you guys' concerns. It'll definitely help to keep Vanessa's portfolio tidy, while also being collector friendly.

Lastly, I just want to thank you all for the helpful suggestions. Constructive feedback is always welcome, and highly valued (the -1s and "Faith, you suck"s, maybe not so much?). But any time you have a recommendation for how we can organize things more effectively, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. I, for one, greatly appreciate the feedback and ideas. DB organization is a primary focus of mine, and I do put a lot of thought into this stuff, but I also don't pretend to have all the answers. So anytime you see something that might could be done better, let me know. I may not see it, if it's buried in a discussion thread, so feel free to message me directly. Your ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated. :cheers:
So it goes...
demisemiquaver
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 pm

In terms of the gilded bumblebees on paper, the dates were as follows:

First gilded bumblebee, Instagram giveaway, August 5, 2016. Went to someone here, MGW I think.
Signed, proper left, no year. Currently in the image gallery, it's at an angle, as I used the photo off of Instagram in the submission.

Gilded bumblebee series 1. Release date September 10, 2016. Nine bees in this set.
Signed, proper left, no year. Currently in the image gallery, they are named as 1-9, no series.

Gilded bumblebee series 2. Release date December 11, 2016. Four bees in this set.
Signed, proper right, with 16 year. Currently in the image gallery, they are named as 1-4, series 2.

There are 14 images in that merge entry, so 1+9+4=14.

Jeremy Hush has one that he posted on Instagram around the time of the Silent Aviary show, but I understand if you don't want that databased since it was never really for sale and they are friends.

The pollen ones are the really mixed up ones, as they exist both in release and commission form.
demisemiquaver
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Alright, I gave this timeline reconstruction my best shot.

Studio sale, 4/29/2016, six bees with pollen
Original database codes:
224418 - Buff Tailed Bee 16 Foley submitted by leary411
224419 - Buff Tailed Bee (2) 16 Foley submitted by leary411
224411 - Buff Tailed Bee (3) 16 Foley submitted by clem99
224412 - Buff Tailed Bee (4) 16 Foley submitted by clem99
224413 - Buff Tailed Bee (5) 16 Foley submitted by clem99
224414 - Buff Tailed Bee (6) 16 Foley submitted by clem99

Four owl studies and 2 little guardians are adjacent, and adjacent uploads right before and after are falling under that date as well. The paper for all 6 has a similar texture with fine vertical striations.

Studio sale, 6/29/2016 - five bees with pollen
225522 - Buff Tailed Bumblebee 1 16 Foley submitted by RambosRemodeler
225523 - Buff Tailed Bumblebee 2 16 Foley submitted by RambosRemodeler
225524 - Buff Tailed Bumblebee 3 16 Foley submitted by RambosRemodeler
225525 - Buff Tailed Bumblebee 4 16 Foley submitted by RambosRemodeler
225526 - Buff Tailed Bumblebee 5 16 Foley submitted by RambosRemodeler

The September studio sale was the premiere of the gilded honeycombs, so I don't think there were any pollen-only.

Studio sale, 12/11/2016 - three bees with pollen, slightly different title
Bumblebee and Pollen 1 16 Foley submitted by demisemiquaver
Bumblebee and Pollen 2 16 Foley submitted by demisemiquaver
Bumblebee and Pollen 3 16 Foley submitted by demisemiquaver

So that's 14 out of the 15. So the one remaining is:
Buff Tailed Bee 6 16 Foley, submitted by ELSEGUND0666

Timestamp-wise, this was submitted right after the July sale, and being numbered six, it may indeed be from the July sale, but EB code 225527 is a totally different piece. RR may have just forgotten to add the sixth one at the time and Segundo noticed and added it. I honestly can't remember if there were five or six bees in that sale. Maybe someone else does? I do think it's less likely to be a #6 from the 2015 or February 2016 sales, as those were less finished.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I have the email with 5 bees with pollen that were offered in dec '15. I didn't see the pics posted. Would it help to forward that email to you guys?
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm

If you guys wouldn't mind messaging me these details directly, it's a lot easier to keep up with than trying to hunt down a comment in a discussion thread. And I'll see what makes sense once I have all the information.
And that way maybe the thread can have a chance to get back to talking about Vanessa's art, rather than DB upkeep. ^_^

Super envious of this study she's apparently doing for Budny

So it goes...
Calhoun3000
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Has anyone reached out to Vanessa for help on this? She could probably help clear some of this up.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Calhoun3000 wrote:Has anyone reached out to Vanessa for help on this? She could probably help clear some of this up.
I don't think that's necessary. It's honestly not that huge of a deal. We'll figure it out. :cheers:
vanessafoley wrote:I like to start my work with a few eye-wateringly horrid thumbnails to work out composition :cry: (and let's face it, anything after those little nightmares looks like a winner!) then I move onto the actual preliminary sketch, which I've recently taken to doing on tracing paper, it's cheap, easy to erase mistakes on (I make one or two) and then when I'm happy it's a quick job to transfer it on to the fancy paper (always Fabriano Artistico)
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Alright, so one more brief interruption and then hopefully we can get back to talking about all the awesome stuff Vanessa's got in store for us this year. ^_^

Based on your feedback, and with the help of some solid detectiving by demisemiquaver, I was able to do a more detailed breakdown based on studio sale as I described in one of my earlier posts. So, in an effort to sum everything up succinctly, here's the breakdown for all of the 2016 Bee Ogs. The one caveat, is that if you had one of these in your collection prior to the re-org, it's still there, but defaulted to the first one of that type. You'll want to go in, at your convenience, and select the specific one that's yours from the option list. *Note: Buff-Tailed Bee and Pollen 2016 Series 1 isn't present since nobody entered any of the bees from the January 30th Studio sale (the first one to include them iirc). If that information ever becomes available, we can fill that Series 1 slot with them. Oh and going forward, any privately acquired ones, or ones won from a giveaway or whatever, can be attached to the nearest Series (since the series' don't explicitly reference a studio sale, it's just an informal grouping). So if you have one like that, and you want it included, don't feel like it doesn't have a place to go.

Buff-Tailed Bee and Pollen
2016 Series 2 (includes bees from the 4/29/2016 Studio Sale)
2016 Series 3 (includes bees from the 6/29/2016 Studio Sale)
2016 Series 4 (includes bees from the 12/11/2016 Studio Sale)

Gilded Bumblebee
2016 Series 1 (09/10/2016 Studio Sale as well as the one given away on IG the month before)
2016 Series 2 (12/11/2016 Studio Sale)

Bumblebee Mini Oil Painting
2016 Series (12/11/2016 Studio Sale)

I've collected all of them into a series "Vanessa Foley Bee Originals" here: http://expressobeans.com/public/search.php?series=2263

Thanks for your patience with all of this, and besides the slight inconvenience of having to re-select your specific one, we're in a much better place organizationally, and now have a solid strategy for handling them going forward. Thanks everyone. :cheers:
So it goes...
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 am

Well done, mfaith! Great sleuthing, demisemiquaver! :clap:
leary411
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 am

faith wrote: Thanks for your patience with all of this, and besides the slight inconvenience of having to re-select your specific one, we're in a much better place organizationally, and now have a solid strategy for handling them going forward. Thanks everyone. :cheers:
Not to throw a wrench in all the good work you have done here but the two I uploaded are not from a studio sale but are rather from a kickstarter she did for Alexi Era Gallery :D, but Im cool with how they are :)
T.K.C.