Banksy in Gaza 2015

General art-related discussion.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 pm

A balanced look for those who are interested. It's a good read.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 pm

35mmpaul wrote:4 pages of discussion and only one "meh"? that has to be an EB record.
*checks back later that day*

well that escalated quickly.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
zefarrett
Art Freak

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:11 pm

I think we can all agree that iron dome is awesome. Incredible defense technology.
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 pm

zefarrett wrote:I think we can all agree that iron dome is awesome. Incredible defense technology.
Amen bruther.
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

zefarrett wrote:I think we can all agree that iron dome is awesome. Incredible defense technology.
Absolutely.Even Banksy agrees with your statement...Thats why he directs "powerful "at israel and "powerless" at Palestine.

I think we can also all agree that the oppressors are Israel, whilst the oppressed are Palestinian. Like in Apartheid South Africa.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
fredo
Art God

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Obligatory 'misserX is a bloodthirsty rageOholic; do not ever ever engage' post.
just a foil for me today, thanks
time
Art Expert

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 am

bulkhead72 wrote:A balanced look for those who are interested. It's a good read.
I did read it, but I'm not so sure that I'd describe it as balanced. I have more faith in these, http://www.algemeiner.com/2015/02/14/an ... hould-you/ http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4570/ ... casualties
But I realize and understand that people will believe what they want to believe. And no one can know for certain. Of course, you can't judge morality or legitimacy using numbers of dead. Unfortunately many die in war. We need to look at the efforts to minimize those civilian deaths and how those numbers came to be. Intent matters. There is a big difference between targeting civilians and unintended civilian deaths in a war.

Israel clearly has a lot of weaponry (and despite attempts to claim otherwise, Hamas is a well organized ruling and military machine which runs/controls Gaza and which has a lot of weaponry but obviously not as much or as sophisticated). If Israel's goal was to kill as many civilians as possible in a place where there are hundreds of thousands of civilians (and thousands or tens of thousands of non-civilians who also join the fight and don't wear a uniform, so in life and death they appear to be civilians), it did a really bad job of that alleged goal, considering how relatively few (compared to the hundreds of thousands there) were in fact killed (no matter how you count them). And Israel continued to allow in tons of humanitarian supplies throughout the war and before and since. And if one is being intellectually honest they would have to admit that no one can really know how many killed were actually civilians since Hamas and its fighters don't wear uniforms and admit to trying to blend in.

I certainly feel sympathy for those innocents in Gaza who don't support Hamas and just want to try to live in peace. That's why instead of just posting on a thread about a street artist, I try to work for that peace. I understand that it's not on everyone's priority list or radar and that's fine. I just hope that those in Gaza find a way to go beyond the Hamas leaders that they elected and instead have their own "Arab Spring" to seek that peace so there can be two countries living side by side in peace and security.
Last edited by time on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
misterx
Art Expert

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 am

Do you honestly believe what you write?

What war? You mean the IDF running amok against a ragtag team fighting to be free? Thats not war. Were the Jews at war with Nazi Germany using your definition? Of course they weren't. There was an army on one side, a civilian population on the other....
We are poles apart time, so pointless going back and forth but just wanted to say you remind me of Bibi with your doublespeak....
sgillane
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:20 am

Never been to Gaza but have spent a few weeks in the West Bank. Israel's horrendous treatment of the Palestinian people is drymounted. Don't need a fair or balanced blog to tell me what I've seen with my own eyes. :pint:
zefarrett
Art Freak

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:36 am

X, were you voted funniest as your high school superlative? :lol:
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
Xander
Art Expert

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51 am

fredo
Art God

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 am

Should've either been:
Thanks, Moses!
or
JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
just a foil for me today, thanks
misterx
Art Expert

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

sgillane wrote:Never been to Gaza but have spent a few weeks in the West Bank. Israel's horrendous treatment of the Palestinian people is drymounted. Don't need a fair or balanced blog to tell me what I've seen with my own eyes. :pint:
Well said my fellow human being.... :pint:

I find it sad that this US-centric site, in general, has said nothing about the Palestinian plight in this thread, the precise reason Banksy sneaked into Gaza, whilst the EB members who have spoken have done so in support of the Apartheid regime...
HLB98
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:22 am

I side with misterx
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:18 am

While U.S. news anchors, pundits and politicians have repeatedly extolled the efficacy of the Iron Dome in deflecting rocket attacks, the acclaimed physicist Theodore Postol says there is no evidence Iron Dome is actually working. He estimates the Iron Dome, which is partially built by Raytheon, intercepts just 5 percent of rockets fired at Israel.A professor of science, technology and national security policy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Postol is an expert in missiles, missile defenses and other aspects of modern warfare.
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/31/i ... e_evidence

incredibly awesome! :wink:
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!