CGC to begin grading concert posters

General art-related discussion.
dragonmanagement
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:02 pm

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewartic ... MjgyMDU1S0

For anyone who knows about comics books, this will be interesting.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:03 pm

dragonmanagement wrote:http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewartic ... MjgyMDU1S0

For anyone who knows about comics books, this will be the final nail in the coffin of the period when gigposters were fun, and were about rock 'n' roll, and weren't sucked of their soul by obsessive collectors.
This sucks.

Edit: look what dickholes have even done to toys. Sealed, graded...it's a drymounting toy. Play with it. Or give it to a kid to play with.

https://www.google.com/search?q=graded+ ... 80&bih=909

Here's my favorite kind of thing: "My furniture is from Sears and is drymounting crooked and collapsing, but I have $20,000 in Transformers so life is good."

Last edited by mistersmith on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:07 pm

lame
simianfever
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Your print will look infinitely better sealed in plastic with a giant '9.6' emblazoned on it.

EDIT: Stated that before going to the link and actually seeing that already done. Holy fudge.
Last edited by simianfever on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1000steps
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm

It seems like a company is creating a nonexistent problem to solve for the sole purpose of generating revenue.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm

This wont be around long. How the hell do you frame something like that after it's been "graded"

After some of these posters get shipped flat and get destroyed people will think twice
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:10 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:This wont be around long. How the hell do you frame something like that after it's been "graded"

After some of these posters get shipped flat and get destroyed people will think twice
You're not supposed to frame it. You're supposed to take your sealed poster and put it in the dark, knowing that it's safe and sound and free from harm, until such time as you die, when your kids put it in the trash.
simianfever
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm going to burn them like my grandmother did my father's baseball cards so some other collector's kids' can appreciate the value of theirs.
Mapman
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Mistersmith, the toy grading scene has gotten REALLY out of hand. One of the most unsettling of trends is to open up old sealed toys and give them an "U" or uncirculated grade. Some idiot actually opened up two of the rarest carded star wars figures Vader and Ben with double telescoping sabers and a sealed baggie version of luke to get them graded with "u". The two carded ones were salesmen samples which only add to the rarity! It did NOT go over well within the vintage collecting community. I'll see if I can find the info on that one...

Here's an link, but it has few details...
http://9holygrails.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... igure.html
Last edited by Mapman on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Posted on 3/26/2015
Is this...is this the future?
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Mapman wrote:Mistersmith, the toy grading scene has gotten REALLY out of hand. One of the most unsettling of trends is to open up old sealed toys and give them an "U" or uncirculated grade. Some idiot actually opened up two of the rarest carded star wars figures to get them graded with "u". It did NOT go over well within the vintage collecting community. I'll see if I can find the info on that one...
I'm not sure I even want to know. The value an adult gets out of a piece of plastic in a box is minuscule compared to what a kid gets out of drymounting that thing up in a sandbox, bathtub, fort, etc.

I have a bunch of plush toys an artist did like 6 or 7 years ago. One day a friend brought his 3-year-old daughter over, she saw one, and she grabbed it, because she'd fallen in love. She didn't let that toy go for weeks, until she inevitably lost it. Given that, if I gave a drymount that that thing could maybe sell for $30 on eBay, I'd be an asshole. Likewise, people, please: hang your posters up.
TopHatZombies
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:23 pm

mistersmith wrote:people, please: hang your posters up.
PoTY
Image ImageImage
Superfro33
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:25 pm

dropdoctor wrote:Everyone knows the grading companies are in business for one reason: to make money. It's up to you to buy into it. But the fact is if lots of people buy into it, it WILL actually start to mean something.
They will. It will. Most of them probably from this site and FB groups. :lol:

"I just did a Horkey/Stout handbill to see how it would go..." Then it sells on Ebay for 4x the current market value. Then there'll be no stopping that dolla train. Mark them words kids.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Superfro33 wrote:
dropdoctor wrote:Everyone knows the grading companies are in business for one reason: to make money. It's up to you to buy into it. But the fact is if lots of people buy into it, it WILL actually start to mean something.
They will. It will. Most of them probably from this site and FB groups. :lol:

"I just did a Horkey/Stout handbill to see how it would go..." Then it sells on Ebay for 4x the current market value. Then there'll be no stopping that dolla train. Mark them words kids.
It will really gain traction if someone starts moving fakes.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
trarex
Art Expert

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:36 pm

ugh
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak