Hella big prints: I know I am not the only one:

General art-related discussion.
rhinomilk
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:06 am

So when an artist like Horkey makes a big-ass muthafuckin' print... what are your feelings? My feelings are mixed.

1. I feel that an artist should not be constrained to any size... whatever floats their boat. When you get a really big print, it is so BADASS!!

2. When you start collecting a lot of them & you want to frame them in all they're glory... you find out it costs $300+!! When all is said and done though... you sit back and say: damn, that is fine!

3. After a few years of collecting... you find that your small ass man cave only fits about 3 of these frame prints, and now these prints don't sit in flat files... they sit in $$ frames that cannot be reused because of the oddball size and gather dust in the closet. You can't even ponder about selling them because you have invested so much in the frame.

4. When the prints sit in the "to be framed" queue.. they are so large... I cannot even find a spot to lay it flat or find a mylar big enough to house it - so sometimes I just look at it and put it back into the tube (or leave it unrolled sitting on top of a shelf). I then get paranoid that I am not storing the print properly and it might get damaged.

Am I just preaching to the choir or do others have the same thoughts (maybe there is even another thread here that addresses my thoughts on this).
DarkenedShrine
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:05 am

I most definitely wouldn't resort to leaving them in the tubes, you'll find with time some of them tend to wave and won't flatten as well. Just get 2 big pieces of acid free foamcore, store prints in between and make sure you separate them with sheets of acid free glassine, hold the whole thing together with large binder clips. Most arts and craft stores should have all of the materials in stock.
ImageImageImage
mrkyuss
Art God

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:14 am

Remember kids, when getting a Hork tattoo, make sure it covers the entire back!

President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
davemfan
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:28 am

Yeah, don't leave them in tubes. You can find mylar / backer big enough for those big ass prints here https://www.bagsunlimited.com/

If you don't have room for a flat file then build a box that fits under your bed, you can even put little casters on it if you have hardwood floors. I had to do this for a few years until i found a flat file.
ImageImageImage