DZO Olivier

General art-related discussion.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:49 pm

blingaling wrote:
wottagunn wrote: Maybe a little. It’s weird, if Olivier was part of Vacuum for instance (and he easily could be given his talent) then this release would be long gone.
I don’t understand it. His attention to detail and subject matter is a perfect fit and appeals to me personally, so much, but I would imagine it would appeal to many others as well. He’s not flippable (at the moment) so maybe that’s why his work is not selling out.
The Dragon ink for instance looks like its been done by a drymounting computer. It’s perfect.
True Detective was his first likeness project and he nailed it. Some other artist do that fudge all the time and never get it right.
Maybe its got something to do with him being French? Just doesn’t have a huge presence in the US. But there’s enough people on EB that would know about him, enough to at least sell out the editions of 10 and 30.
Personally im happy with it, because it allows me to collect his work with ease, but for DZO’s sake I hope his work sells better in the future. He’s very kind, professional and extremely talented and deserves everything for his art. He told me a few months ago that he had to regretfully sell two originals to help him progress with some other work, and that’s a bit sad.
Vacvvm level exposure would certainly make a huge difference. But just from his IG he's already got a horde of fans, thousands of likes per post...
The work itself is astounding. The care that goes into the HPM editions is evident and well worth the price. It would make me really sad to think the flip factor is whats keeping his sales down. Even the MAE stuff is still available :cry:
slunkey wrote:I think its worth talking about. His work is really amazing and his attention to detail is phenomenal! There are so many images on his Behance site that I would love to purchase as prints, really amazing library of work.
I would say its the prices, but for the standard $70 edition, the price is on point. I would totally pay that. But I think when I'm presented with something special, like a hand embellished version, I would want that version or none at all. And maybe a lot of people feel that way. But those prices for the hand embellished version are a bit high for me right now. At least, that is how it wound up for me.
Did you pass on the standard for that reason? No judgement, just trying to understand.

I've been thinking about it a lot. It's so hard to gauge why people don't buy something. Giclee printing turns a lot of people off. Not sure that the detail could be captured correctly with screenprinting, but letterpress seems like a good match. Printing technique counts for a lot in this game, it may be a factor. It might take some prodding to get him to expand this way though as he's said multiple times that he's most comfortable working with giclee.
There are so many variations in this particular edition (as there were with Pan) it may be a turn off for some. The minor difference between A2 and A3 sizes makes me wonder if it is necessary to split the run. The editioning looks confusing at first glance, 30 of these, 10 of those, how many of these total? Which size? Is it multiple runs of the same print or 1 run with multiple variant? We know the answers, but that doesn't mean everyone does.
Not numbering the standard makes little sense to me, the effort to do so is small and it adds a personal touch that means a lot to many collectors.
And the unfortunate hype/flip factor. 'nuff said there.
Olivier deserves larger success. His art is top notch, and he's humble and friendly.
Agree 100% with a lot of what everyone is saying. I think for future releases you'll see a change in the pricing and the structure of it all. I'm certainly trying to help guide him, there were reasons behind the pricing structure but as far as the size variants go, I think he was just trying to accommodate various budgets with the editions. I think he understands it now too but, at the end of the day, the ultimate decision is his, I'm here to help promote, facilitate, and get his art into your hands.

I know I, as well as other folks, are trying to get him to do a letterpress or a screen print. I can guarantee that he will be doing a screen print release for me at some point for a licensed property. I just don't think he has a firm grip on a way to color it digitally with the detail in his work just yet. I mean if Horkey can do it so can DZO, it's just a learning curve. For now, the giclees make his life a little easier and help speed up the process.
chestr
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Amazing artwork but I hope he creates more pieces like Biofusion III that cover the entire print and have at least some color to accent the pieces.
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:57 am

blingaling wrote:Did you pass on the standard for that reason? No judgement, just trying to understand.
After reading your comment about the editions and the non-numbering of the standard edition, I think that really figured in as well. I agree that the multiple editions looks very confusing to me. I am a little new to collecting (late 2013), but I have been conditioned by other studios only offering two editions, standard and a variant (both always being numbered well).

I wanted to understand my decision as well so I went and looked at the different editions + price points again and here are my thoughts. I find that it really mattered to me that the "Collectors Edition" was not numbered. And how the "Regular Edition" jumps up $80 for it to be numbered. The only difference I gather (apart from the edition size and the signature (what is a digital signature anyways??)) is that the "Regular Edition" is numbered.

Additionally, I thought, "If I'm spending $150 for a print, I could spend just a wee little bit more and get an original from another artist I devote most of my money to". So I guess I find that it might be hard for most people to get their foot in the door with this many editions and the prices being high. In the end, it might have made all the difference if "Collectors Edition" is removed, and all prices were bumped down one level. Ie "Regular Edition" -> $70, "Dragon (A3+ Hand Embellished Edition)" -> $150 ect.

But yae, in the end, it is not my place or anyone else besides DZO to put the proper price on his art. They are HIS creations. It just might be hard for those 19k followers on instagram to really bite in on a print for those reasons. But see, when you get them hooked, then these price points might make sense. :pint:
lazk
Art Expert

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:32 am

Allison commission was a regular and hand embellished. correct?

So apparently she was able to keep it to one size and two editions. so apparently the artist was willing to change...

It seems to work best like that anyways - various sizes of the same poster is odd around EB. imo.
T.K.C.
mlwells04
Art Expert

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:44 am

The True Detective commission is a regular and a hand embellished version ($50 extra for the embellished, very reasonable).

Here's a video of the embellishments for this piece.
[instagram_vid]https://instagram.com/p/4rcMT0KppJ/[/instagram_vid]

I know we toyed with the idea of doing a letterpress edition, but the logistics of it and the price point were a little too much to do on the fly. For future projects I think it would work really well with DZO's style.
Learning how to reproduce his work in screenprint form will definitely bring more buyers to the table.
I'm hoping to see some more commission and licensed work from him and hope to be apart of it. If he continues on the path he is going there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a huge success in the future.
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:29 pm

I want that true detective piece if anyone wants to sell or trade....
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:14 am

Olivier has been busy lately, I'm sure you know that if you follow him.
But I had to share this in particular. This is drymounting nuts. To draw like THAT, on YOURSELF, is very impressive. He has to enlarge that if he wants the tattooist to stand a chance.

FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:44 am

wottagunn wrote:Olivier has been busy lately, I'm sure you know that if you follow him.
But I had to share this in particular. This is drymounting nuts. To draw like THAT, on YOURSELF, is very impressive. He has to enlarge that if he wants the tattooist to stand a chance.

holy hell!
IronRinn
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am

That looks incredible.
alison03
Art Expert

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm

a little pencil sketch Olivier has started for Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus!
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 pm

thought this group might want to know. DZO will be participating in our Labours of Hercules gallery show. More details to come but we have him lined up to do a pretty awesome labour (one of the popular ones).
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:01 pm

FAMPart wrote:thought this group might want to know. DZO will be participating in our Labours of Hercules gallery show. More details to come but we have him lined up to do a pretty awesome labour (one of the popular ones).
Nice idea for a show. He's a good pick for it too. :pint:
So it goes...
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:00 am

Another killer piece

alison03
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:37 pm

Imaginarium WIP's. Doing a handfinished giclee edition (main run) and a small letterpress edition. PM me for details on joining up.
blingaling
Art Expert

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 am

Oh man that finished Dr Parnassus print is gonna blow some minds. Olivier's best work by far.
ImageImageImageImage