Mondo Retrospective: One from each year of your collection

General art-related discussion.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm

The upcoming Mondo Gallery House Show is essentially a retrospective:

Image http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/1866274 ... house-show
At the end of this month, we’ll be opening our Gallery doors for a House Show featuring some of our rare and most iconic posters. For the first time, the gallery walls will be filled with prints released from 2007 to Present, hand-picked from our archive by Mondo art directors Justin Ishmael, Mitch Putnam & Rob Jones. The show will offer a unique chance to see 30+ posters from incredibly talented artists like Todd Slater, Aaron Horkey, Tomer Hanuka and many more!

This set me thinking as to what you would display if allowed one from each year of whats actually in your collection?

Be interesting to see what's popular from both a personal acquisition and general consensus perspective. Doing it is harder than you think, so many from each year and only one allowed!

Mine are as follows:

Only 2006 print in collection tbh...

While 'Remember the Alamo' 2nd edition is a strong contender in my collection, this is a fantastic and clever composition and was a Rolling Roadshow event to boot. How cool would that have been to attend.

Best Tyler Stout variant with the use of metal as a medium, as well as a great composition.

Likenesses and a great composition by Ken Taylor.

Tough year for me to choose from, so much good stuff and franchises, but this is elegant, classic and iconic. My favorite Martin Ansin print.

Another tough year with Stouts Akira and Struzan's Frankenstein as close contenders. But Tyler Stout pays homage to Enter the Dragon, still with his own unique take on it and does it with rice paper on the variant. A classic almost immediately.

My first Durieux and a smart way of incorporating the showing into the composition. Struzan's Thing was also screen printed this year but this unique and new composition wins it for me.

Martin Ansin somewhat eschews his new style for this classic film, the composition is fantastic, conveying Bickle as 'Gods lonely man'. As Aaron Horkey said: "perfection".

Laurent Durieux really captures that 60's feel of wonder and awe when conveying the future and fantastic of faraway worlds. You can see it's a labor of love by the artist as he himself admitted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:39 pm

binky79
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Nice! I wish it was open in time for the Alien screening.
rubberneck wrote:This set me thinking as to what you would display if allowed one from each year of whats actually in your collection?

Be interesting to see what's popular from both a personal acquisition and general consensus perspective. Doing it is harder than you think, so many from each year and only one allowed!
2007:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

2014:
toobs
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:10 pm

2006 - slim pickins

2007 - stout

2008 - moar stout

2009 - GID er go fcuk yerself

2010 - I would say Stout SW Set but that is more then one print . . . . Ansin Bride is money but tong wins with that the time lapse video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5TBGzqijk

2011 - zomg stout again whaaaa

2012 - taylor murdered it

2013 - some guy named horkey

2014 - edit forgot bout this some how

i dont know if u can tell by my selections but im a sucker for detail and line work
Last edited by toobs on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Sounds fun. I'll give it a go:

The only 2008 print I have, it's weird as hell, has almost nothing to do with the show, but dammit I still love it.

Self explanatory.

The set counts as 1, right?

Oh thank god, not a Stout. 2011 was a pretty good year. But this version of 'Dracula' has the best of both worlds. Sparkling metallic silvers, that deep blood-red background. Oh and it's printed on wood in the shape of a damn coffin. There's also that.

Oh, 2012. This was a tough choice, but I went with this LD classic. One of the first Mondo releases I scored on a drop, and it all went downhill from here.

Good we're back to more Stouts. This was such an interesting show (to see from afar :-( ) and I'm really glad I got (both of) the 'Drive' poster(s) on Metal. This one's my favorite of the two however.

This print carries with it basically all of MondoCon with it. What a fun few days.

Onward to 2015!!!
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Living in Austin, being a fan of Mondo and the Alamo Drafthouse, this is a no brainer. Getting into this hobby a bit late, I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire this from a stand-up guy without breaking the bank. Maybe not an essential Mondo print, but definitely the essential Drafthouse print.

When I think of Mondo and limited edition screen prints, Tyler's 'The Thing' is always one of the first that comes to mind. I had sort of resonated to the fact that I would never be able to own this print due to the rarity/aftermarket prices. One day, a member here, who has hooked me up with numerous 'grail' pieces in the past, ended up posting this to their trades. After sending PM after PM reminding them of my interest, I decided to just start sending the member prints as they popped up in their ISO. Eventually, I was told to stop sending them prints and then this showed up soon after.

Hands down my favorite ALIEN print. I know a lot of people prefer Ken's 'ALIEN II', but I always go back to 'the egg'. It just feels like a better movie poster, in my opinion. The image always makes me want to go back and watch the movie again.

Another print I never thought I'd own. Going to the Ritz, I'd always see the 'Bride' they have hanging there and it was one of the 'essential Mondo prints' to me. After receiving it, I remember unrolling it and coming back to it, again and again, because of how shocked I was that it was mine.

Many here know that I was after this print for a while. I remember when it was originally available through Mondo, but I passed due to the price at the time. Usual story of coming to regret that decision soon after. Eventually, I was able to workout a three-way trade involving a Stout 'Drive' steel and a Moss 'Evil Dead'. Ended up driving half-way to Houston to pick up the 'Evil Dead' only to drive a few miles from my apartment to then trade the 'Evil Dead' for 'Frankenstein'.

Mondo Mystery Movies are always fun. While 'Flipper' played a bit too long, it was still a memorable event for a number of reasons. This print brought a bit of drama my way, as some of you may remember, but all of that aside, the artwork here is simply phenomenal.

The jpeg in the database does not do this print justice at all. Without a doubt the most vibrant Mondo poster I've seen. This was my introduction to Rockin' Jelly Bean and I've been hooked ever since. Really, really hoping for a solo show at some point.

Sonny and Biddy continue to consistently kill it. They're also two of the nicest people you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting. I know their takes on certain titles aren't for everyone, but that's a good thing. It keeps things interesting and diverse. One of the things I love most about their art is, when you hear that they're taking on a specific property, you have no idea what to expect, except that it will be fun. So many artists, you can predict the layout, colors, etc. However, Sonny and Biddy always provide something unique, as can clearly be seen here. Another print that the jpeg does not do justice on. The colors fly off the paper.
Last edited by iambillyg on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toobs
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:41 pm

^^^ horkey TWBB barley edged out Boogie Nights for me in the 2013 slot..... sooo good ^^^
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 pm

these thread just make me sad I didn't stumble across this a few years earlier :(
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:47 pm

toobs wrote:^^^ horkey TWBB barley edged out Boogie Nights for me in the 2013 slot..... sooo good ^^^
I remember people accusing me of altering the saturation when I took detail shots of it. The colors are incredible and not at all represented in the jpeg in the database.

Hoping for a RJB show at some point.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:58 pm

fitz wrote:these thread just make me sad I didn't stumble across this a few years earlier :(
Ditto.

Have to admit, half the fun is the curation. Thanks guys!
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 pm

2006: Image
I had no idea what Mondo was, but I was there to watch this.
2007:Image
I need to add this to my seasonal rotation already.
2008:Image
Genius. My favorite Shining print by miles.
2009:Image
I would not pick Danger with this property, but it works very well.
2010:Image
These are genius. Close second is Olly's Evil Dead (which will shortly have a new owner).
2011:Image
After lurking for a while, the print that got me to join this site.
2012:Image
Only Mondo I currently have framed. I knew this guy was going to be a rockstar as soon as I saw this print.
2013:Image
Perfect movie poster.
2014:Image
This poster kind of pissed me off. I try to be a voice of reason on here (sometimes) when it comes to people going bonkers for an OMG new print, so when this came out with the annoyingly low run, I had to walk the fine line between praising what I thought was inspired design and execution while at the same time trying to not feed the typical hype machine associated with gallery releases. Thankfully some poor sucker sent me one gratis, which helped make my "anti-hyping" feel more genuine.

Cool thread by the way.
That's what she said
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Wanted to throw in (even though I only date back to 2011 with my collection) just because it's fun to reflect on these (that and I obviously have a problem with talking too much).

The alternative movie scene tends to straddle between two kinds of concepts - the really alternative ideas that, no matter how brilliant they are, would never be used as official posters for one reason or another, and the ones that build themselves on likeness and composing themselves as artistic renditions of the real things. Richard's take on JP was one of the first things I ever saw in this hobby that made me think, THIS is where you hit that sweet spot - Richard owns it with stuff that his work always touched on (most notably renditions of nature and sky), but I wouldn't bat an eye if you put this up in a theater, made it into a DVD case, or generally slapped this on every piece of JP merchandise out there.

Speaking of star vehicles...there are definitely stronger pieces that came out this year, but I like to always remember this moment and this poster as part of a larger wave in mainstream cinema. Mondo didn't really do anything for the previous superhero movie touchstone (Nolan's The Dark Knight), but tackling this movie, both with the multi-poster single character approach leading up to the drop, and by handing Marvel's crown jewel to arguably its most popular artist...I'm not quite good enough to understand how wide the floodgates probably opened with this, but it definitely meant something.

My heart belongs to another print that I have the extreme fortune to own from this particular year, but there's no denying TWBB. The culmination of a lot of Horkey's skill and creativity in the movie poster world (to say that of his non-movie artistic works would be a bit demeaning), I'll remember it for a lot of extraneous factors associated with this hobby - the brilliance of a director's series with many incredibly entries; the intense week of hype building up to it (can't really top There Will Be Butthurt as a thread title); and the fact that the post-drop is pretty much the apex of users using EB (most likely for the butthurt). And that's all before the insane detail, the spot-on concept, the flawless execution...it's the kind of brilliant that makes you recontextualize just how many tools Horkey has in that ornate wheelhouse of his.

If Jaws is the Durieux coming-out party, and The Birds (Here Comes Trouble) is the crown jewel of a show that proved just how much he could carry on his own, this is the assassin, the ninja, the rogue, the sniper. Lying in wait, under the radar, always causing heads to shake in silent awe while quietly building a daunting aftermarket. If Durieux can be massively impressive with one or two pieces that catch everyone's attention, it's pieces like this that remind me of the explosion of people who came to understand just how good his older gems (King Kong, Iron Giant) are, and how easily and quickly his (relatively) lesser-hyped works can headline on their own if his bar weren't so damn high.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
1000steps
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:27 pm

Welcome to the sleaze pit
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Seasonal whimsy & classic Ryan

Poster that led me down this rabbit hole

One for my better half who puts up with this nonsense

Silly robot ...silly, drymountin spendy robot

The best poster from Mondo's defining year

Vintage Taylor and probably my favorite frame-up.

Underrated poster because it wasn't the character orgy anticipated, but completes my trinity of favorite movies (having a poster for each)

Great flick and perfect artist match ... Whalen nailed it
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 pm

2010 (SW-ANH is my pick)

2011 & 12: Nada

2014 (Between this and Durieux BTTF 3)