Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:46 pm

In order:

Image Image

Image (so underrated)

jeter0204
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Twas the year of LD for sure. Without his stuff, I don't think I could do a top 10 for Mondo this year.

1) Image
2) Image
3) Image
4) Image
5) Image
6) Image
7) Image
8 ) Image
9) Image
10) Image

Honorable Mention
ImageImageImage
danieldanger wrote: "...IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN STOUT. WHY WASNT IT STOUT? MY GOD PEOPLE, WE COULD BE HOLDING STOUT POSTERS RIGHT NOW."
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:01 pm

1.Image 2.Image 3.Image Image Image

4. Image 5. Image 6. Image 7. Image 8. Image 9. Image10. Image
outpour
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:54 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

No order, but GITS is #1.
deancc
Art Expert

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:52 am

In no particular order. Only seen 3 of these in person.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
c0bbz
Art Expert

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 pm

1. Durieux Birds Pier
2. Ansin Batman 66
3. Moss Jungle Book
4. Kelly Inside Llewyn Davis
5. Francivilla Black Cauldron
6. Horkey FOTR
7. Jock Pan's Labyrinth
8. WBYK Zardoz
9. Tong Psycho
10. Taylor No Country for Old Men
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
MalachiConstant
Art Expert

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:28 pm

1)Image
2)Image
3)Image
4)Image
5)Image
6)Image
7)Image

god damn, you all have terrible taste.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Had a moment, and wanted to throw my 10 out there.

Overall, not a strong year (IMO), but LD/Hitchcock fans have much to rejoice about and thankfully, I fall in both categories.

10. Image

Still haven't seen it, will do so at some point soon, but this poster is perfect and beautiful. To me, it works outside of the film as a fantastic art print...something I really dig about Mondo when they get it right. One of those prints that makes the movie it is based on irrelevant, as it is so pleasing to the eye. An incredibly thoughtful design, and flawless execution. Neck and neck with my favorite Kelly this side of Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

9. Image

Seeing Dart enter the Mondo fold is very exciting, as his work is among my favorite overall right now, and has been for several years. This would be higher...if I liked Star Trek. The fact that I haven't seen this episode and don't care for ST, is a testament to the art-Dart's fantastic vintage/retro/mod style he incorporates so well. (For a similar style, check out Darwyn Cooke's work via comics and such, especially his work on New Frontier for DC.) If Dart gets to do some titles for Mondo down the road that I enjoy or have interest in, I will probably go nuts. Kevin/Mondo, if you guys are reading this...please consider anything 007, Billy Wilder, Hitchcock, but especially To Kill a Mockingbird. Thanks!

8. Image

Remember reading somewhere here that the fact that Durieux didn't fall into the easy trap of doing the Bates house exterior or something with the shower scene, makes this genius. Totally agree with that sentiment. So many wonderful nuances here, yet its not overdone at all. The title design is refreshing and new, like the design. My main focus of collecting is and always will be vintage/original film posters, but what I love about this niche of the pop-culture paper collecting is the brushing aside of staple visuals and starting anew, case in point: this print. It is something new outside of the awesome one sheet design that we have seen over and over, and both work so well. I prefer this regular version much more than the variant, which doesn't really work for me. I feel the same way about the Vertigo variant LD did...wonderful design, but the var fall short and seemed forced in their color pallet, IMO.

In case anyone is interested, here is a pic of my original three sheet for comparison on the title which I had posted some time ago:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3910/146 ... 5764_h.jpg

7 and 6. Image Image

Never understood the general consensus of 'blah' on these, and while not perfect, they both are fantastic takes on a perfect film in both capturing the essence of the story and adding to the art that has existed on the title. The peach/pink paper used on the regular is so good, and not sure if it was intentional or not, but it makes the piece feel like it is right out of the 50s when the film was released. Folks who enjoy or collect vintage stuff/furniture from the 50s and 60s will know what I mean. The variant is neat with the differences, just wish Simpson did more in this vein, taking these differences and changes up a notch, telling the beginning and end of the story a bit more across both prints (with ALL the characters shown). Regardless, doesn't really matter, I think both are very, very cool.

5. and 4. Image Image

BTAS, in my opinion, is still and probably will always be the BEST projection of Batman into any media of moving images...TV, film, whatever. The art direction alone, matches the characters so well, and the time period matching the original era of the Batman when he was written is so good. The show was very clean in its artistic approach, never making the art deco or film noir design engulf its stars...and PCC takes the similar approach with these clever designs. Prefer the versions shown above on each, and while Heart of Ice might be my favorite overall episode of the series...the print is a bit of a miss for me, and leaves me a bit cold (pun intended), and off this list.

3 and 2. Image Image

Love both of these for the same reason I like the Simpson set...they just add to the designs on the film that have been out there so well, and are wholly original. I just happen to like these more than the Simpson set, but feel all four are wall worthy. The colors of the reg and var on this is well planned, as it matches the timeline of the story instead of just being different colors for the heck of it...his adventures snooping during the day and into the night. Because of this, fans of Hitchcock and Rear Window would do themselves well to own both of these, the best reg and var duo on a film Mondo has ever done, I strongly feel.

1. Image

Might be a boring pick at this point, but its true: Durieux's The Birds portrait style probably is the best print Mondo released all year. The film is solid, but nowhere near my list of top Hitch films, and so to be fair...this print is much more than the film deserves. Like the work on RW, Durieux works around the image likeness issue in a way that you don't even realize its void or feel that it was needed. And like Jaws, this design nails the impending doom and downright hell that will befall the same setting that is shown here. I wanted to declare one of the RW prints he did number 1 since that film is probably one of my favorites of all time, but just can't do it.
This print is perfect.