The Cleon Peterson Beauty In Brutality thread

General art-related discussion.
technique
Art Expert

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 pm

artepersfizio wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Haha. This dude is becoming a fuggin joke just like Trump.
I'm a huge Cleon fan, but this is just disapointing. I'm growing weary of "Trump Art" - it's not creative nor stimulating...
At least if he wanted to do something anti Trump don't recycle the jaunt image and make a few subtle changes. They are all democrats before being artist so the anti Trump art will be the new scene. They will profit off tons of anti Trump art while complaining non stop about him on social media but don't forget...buy my new anti trump art!
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:53 pm

The Jaunt image is very popular and the runs were small, so I'm glad that this version was made available.

It's not uncommon for an artist to re-work older material. As I've pointed out before, this doesn't have to be seen as an anti-Trump image specifically, as this depiction of the hierarchy of society is universal.

Also, I am all for artists making $ for their hard work. If Cleon feels like he needed to rework this, release it in this new political environment to more people, and make money along the way, more power to him.

It is also an assumption to say that these artists are Democrats. You don't have to be a Democrat to be anti-Trump, or at least, denounce the ideas/initiatives that he is espousing.

I don't admire artists that "worry" about what some people may think.
technique
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:40 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:The Jaunt image is very popular and the runs were small, so I'm glad that this version was made available.

It's not uncommon for an artist to re-work older material. As I've pointed out before, this doesn't have to be seen as an anti-Trump image specifically, as this depiction of the hierarchy of society is universal.

Also, I am all for artists making $ for their hard work. If Cleon feels like he needed to rework this, release it in this new political environment to more people, and make money along the way, more power to him.

It is also an assumption to say that these artists are Democrats. You don't have to be a Democrat to be anti-Trump, or at least, denounce the ideas/initiatives that he is espousing.

I don't admire artists that "worry" about what some people may think.

The original Jaunt image did that just fine and the title is TRUMP 2017 on the new one so yeah pretty direct. The second part about me assuming is anything but since I can count on one hand how many artist ever did anti Obama art during his terms. They didn't even touch the drone strikes that they rallied against during the Bush terms so assumption seems far fetched since a good 90% of the art world is liberal and that is just the way it is. More power to them making more money off anti Trump art since its all about the benjamins in the art scene. I'll continue to collect his work as it is powerful in its imagery.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 pm

No argument there about the drone strikes - definitely the biggest blight during Obama's tenure (along with failing to close Gitmo). One of several reasons that artists like Fairey was disappointed in him.
allmypurchases
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 pm

I'd ordered a white version of the gold series but got caught in the oversell issue. I picked up the white version of the platinum set as a replacement.

I'd still prefer the gold, but huge props to Cleon Peterson for offering an alternative rather than just cancelling the oversold orders.

Getting stuck in an oversold situation has happened to me a number of times in the past (as it has with a lot of people here) and those other artists weren't so kind to their fans as Cleon Peterson was here.
gsyade
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
xangelx
Art Expert

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:00 pm

gsyade wrote:New colorways up - http://cleonpeterson.bigcartel.com/
Picked up the black platimum. Prefered it to the gold. My resistance is futile.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
gsyade
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Codeblue wrote:Luls.

Why follow the thread then? Just wondering.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Huh?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:04 pm

his hatred for you has been brewing for over a decade.

lets see where this goes.

:lurk:
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 pm

35mmpaul wrote:his hatred for you has been brewing for over a decade.

lets see where this goes.

:lurk:
hopefully somewhere good, after the Rambo let down

I feel so unsatisfied
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:21 pm

mrsippycups wrote:after the Rambo let down
You will have to be much more specific. So many letdowns....
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm

I miss the old Blue,
the laugh.gif troll hard blue.

I hate this new Blue,
this 'lulz' every other day Blue.

I miss the old Rambo,
the risk the ban Rambo.

I hate this new Rambo,
this 'I have kids' Rambo.

I miss the old EB,
the clusterfuck EB.

I hate this new EB,
this artist safe space EB.
Last edited by mrsippycups on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Luls.