The Cleon Peterson Beauty In Brutality thread

General art-related discussion.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 am

Did they cut out the ovaries and Fallopian tubes?
I'm not someone else.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:02 am

GoBluePanic wrote:Did they cut out the ovaries and Fallopian tubes?
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
nobokov
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 31, 2018 1:27 am

Merinaries-38x28-gold.jpg
Merinaries-38x28-wht.jpg
Merinaries-38x28-blk.jpg
28 x 38” Screen Print
printed on 290gsm Coventry Rag paper with deckled edges
Each print is signed and numbered by the artist
limited edition of 125
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu May 31, 2018 2:30 am

The white/gold sucks. I dig the other two though, with black/gold hitting the spot. I may buy. Violent as drymount, but I really dig it.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:23 am

Blood & Soil opens on July 7 at Over the Influence in Los Angeles. Cleon's work has a timeless quality to it; this show veers from that path in that it shines a light on the current sociopolitical climate in America.

Every painting at this show is red, black and white. The red does not translate very well in photos/JPEGs and really has to be seen in person to be appreciated. Hope you can make it.

Press release below.

CLEON PETERSON: BLOOD & SOIL
Opening Reception July 7, 2018 from 6-9PM

OVER THE INFLUENCE
833 East 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Over The Influence is pleased to present Blood & Soil, an exhibition of new works by internationally renowned Los Angeles-based artist Cleon Peterson. The exhibition features new acrylic-on-canvas paintings, small bronze sculptures, and one large-scale sculpture. A fearless artist, Peterson, in this new body of work intends to reconcile our violent history with present day violence prevalent across the country.

A celebrated painter of the distressing anxiety and sinister violence in contemporary society, Peterson’s bold black, white, and arresting bright red palette ominously complements the savage cruelty he portrays. Harkening the ghosts of past evil, Peterson’s works recall the horror in Goya’s ‘The Third of May 1808’. The resulting paintings are brutal in their depictions of violence which also bring contemporary atrocities to mind.

Peterson’s malevolent graphically rendered tableaux are striking and vivid representations in which baleful authoritarian not quite human figures wield weapons, namely nightsticks and guns—paintings of savage, merciless scenes in which powerful men suppress the subjugated through bloodthirsty physical violence. This series acts as a warning against and a timely critique of nationalism, populist fervor, economic disparityand autocratic consolidation of power in today’s world.

Peterson describes the anarchic chaos depicted in his work as ‘a gray world where lawbreakers and law enforcers are one in the same; a world where ethics have been abandoned in favor of personal entitlement’ forcing us to question what we know what we see and what side are we on?

With his skillful, strange, and unforgettable large figurative tableaux, Peterson forcefully translates the consciousness of carnage and chaos, issuing a powerful indictment against universal violence, past and present. His nightmarish vignettes demand examination; in his works, violence is a nightmare from which we have not awakened.

Absolute Power

Let's Start A War

Info Wars

Big Man Little Man

Monument to Power, Freedom

punch
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:29 am

This guy is still around?! Who buys this stuff?
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 am

I buy his stuff and so do other collectors. He has undertaken some great projects in recent years and has had many successful shows. Have you seen his paintings in person?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 am

bulkhead72 wrote:The red does not translate very well in photos/JPEGs and really has to be seen in person to be appreciated.
Luls. None more red?

P.S. This show is def an improvement over the same ol same ol.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
punch
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:37 am

bulkhead72 wrote:I buy his stuff and so do other collectors. He has undertaken some great projects in recent years and has had many successful shows. Have you seen his paintings in person?
I live in Minnesota, so no.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:43 am

Codeblue wrote: Luls. None more red?

P.S. This show is def an improvement over the same ol same ol.
It's a very specific shade of red that needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. Here's my (dull) iPhone photo of Absolute Power.

When combined with the scale of some of these pieces, it really is quite impactful and a great viewing experience.

bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:45 am

punch wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:I buy his stuff and so do other collectors. He has undertaken some great projects in recent years and has had many successful shows. Have you seen his paintings in person?
I live in Minnesota, so no.
I think you will have a much greater appreciation of his work once you get a chance to see his paintings in the flesh. It's great how much emotion he can evoke from viewers with seemingly simple designs and color palettes.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 am

Ya have become a bit pretentious now that you're a #fineartcollector but I hear what yer saying to a degree as someone who has seen some of his other work #intehflesh.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:35 am

#cantdeny #datruth
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:43 pm

The Pissers

mademehmmm
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Beautiful Blacks and Reds, drymount the gold.

Anyone Going that could help?