The Cleon Peterson Beauty In Brutality thread

General art-related discussion.
technique
Art Expert

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Pawel wrote:It will be possible to get multiple copies (according to Cleon's instagram) so if someone attends ISO PB
Not the best of ideas since Heathunter and his crew will clean up. Looks like he's up to his old tricks again on the banksy forum.

http://www.urbanartassociation.com/thre ... vinyl-toys
Cragars
Art Expert

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:44 pm

I wish that guy would play Pokemon Go right off a cliff.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:02 pm

This is one of those dudes that I just don't "get". His artwork is decent I guess, but it's too simplistic IMO. No disrespect intended to those that enjoy his artwork, just my opinion. For those that like his work, what draws you to it?
bootstrut
Art Expert

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:08 pm

JGC7881 wrote:This is one of those dudes that I just don't "get". His artwork is decent I guess, but it's too simplistic IMO. No disrespect intended to those that enjoy his artwork, just my opinion. For those that like his work, what draws you to it?
He conveys complex messages through simple execution in a striking way.
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:58 pm

JGC7881 wrote:This is one of those dudes that I just don't "get". His artwork is decent I guess, but it's too simplistic IMO. No disrespect intended to those that enjoy his artwork, just my opinion. For those that like his work, what draws you to it?
I'm obsessed with nekkid dudes wrasslin'
ImageImageImage
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:05 am

Release went pretty smoothly. Black much more popular than gold, and a lotta people buying multiples tonight. I have a feeling ebay's gonna get crowded.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:49 am

Incredible.

Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:08 am

misterwhisper wrote:Release went pretty smoothly. Black much more popular than gold, and a lotta people buying multiples tonight. I have a feeling ebay's gonna get crowded.
Any idea if these sold out at the event?
Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:27 am

Bentley: What is it, Major Lawrence, that attracts you personally to the desert?
Lawrence: It's clean.
Bentley: Well, now, that's a very illuminating answer.

One of my favourite prints is Cleon's "Civil Rights". It's about Police brutality and I'm kind of sucker for a social commentary in art. Plus both red and black versions really pop, red even more so. And I love the paper used for these prints . "Destroying of the Week" used a different kind of paper and it felt a little bit flat.
Hope that helps :)
mlwells04
Art Expert

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:32 pm

+1 set

Like these a lot, wish I had pulled the trigger on Marchers as well
jordanonthereg
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:16 pm

A buddy of mine took some rad Polaroids of cleon last night...hopefully he shares them soon and I'll throw them on here!
CoA
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:54 pm

These look great. What's your color preference after seeing these in the flesh?
bulkhead72 wrote:Incredible.

misterwhisper
Art Expert

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Pawel wrote:
misterwhisper wrote:Release went pretty smoothly. Black much more popular than gold, and a lotta people buying multiples tonight. I have a feeling ebay's gonna get crowded.
Most likely, unless they were holding some back. There were 40-50 people in front of me in line, but by the time I got to the front the black print was already in the 90s. Gold was in the 50s so it was selling less. Line still went through the parking lot to the gate (probably 60-70 deep) when I left shortly before 8, and there were still some late stragglers just arriving. Hopefully everyone got at least a gold.

Release went well and was organized, the folks were slowed down a bit b/c they had to count cash and make change constantly, and roll the prints per order (you could request them rolled tight in a tube, or loosely in kraft, or take them flat wrapped in kraft, which was pretty cool). Sets were random numbered unless you requested matching, which they were happy to do. Dude in front of me looked like he bought 5 prints.

If any of Cleon's crew happens to be reading this, the one suggestion I have for selling multiples would be to restrict sales to one set per turn in line. If someone wants a second or third copy, they can just get back into line for another round until the edition's sold out. That would ensure that everyone who waited in line for an hour or two would have a better chance at copy.
Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:16 pm

misterwhisper wrote:
Pawel wrote:
Most likely, unless they were holding some back. There were 40-50 people in front of me in line, but by the time I got to the front the black print was already in the 90s. Gold was in the 50s so it was selling less. Line still went through the parking lot to the gate (probably 60-70 deep) when I left shortly before 8, and there were still some late stragglers just arriving. Hopefully everyone got at least a gold.

Release went well and was organized, the folks were slowed down a bit b/c they had to count cash and make change constantly, and roll the prints per order (you could request them rolled tight in a tube, or loosely in kraft, or take them flat wrapped in kraft, which was pretty cool). Sets were random numbered unless you requested matching, which they were happy to do. Dude in front of me looked like he bought 5 prints.

If any of Cleon's crew happens to be reading this, the one suggestion I have for selling multiples would be to restrict sales to one set per turn in line. If someone wants a second or third copy, they can just get back into line for another round until the edition's sold out. That would ensure that everyone who waited in line for an hour or two would have a better chance at copy.
Thanks a lot. Much more popular that I expected.
plaink
Art Expert

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:38 pm

One of his best images.