Damage etiquette???

General art-related discussion.
hippiern
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Looking for a little guidance from the experts here. Recently completed a sale through ebeans and sent usps via priority and insured. Rec'd standard paypal payment. Informed today print has damage along an edge. At this point i assume it suffered shipping damage and likely we will need to file a claim. I then requested pictures and received several of the print newly framed and on the buyers wall??? My concern is that if you receive a print, any dissatisfaction should be addressed immediately upon unrolling and a plan established for moving forward. I mean, how do I know how much manipulation and hands the print was subjected to during the framing process, etc?

damage scenerio sucks no matter how you look at it, but this is a bit strange.
summoner
Art Freak

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Proof of damage would be needed if the are wanting some funds back plain and simple, and if the are happy enough with it to frame and hang it then they already made the decision to keep it. And who is to say they didn't damage it while framing it?

Also, if the damage was from the print sliding in the tube, insurance won't cover that I would imagine.
Image Image Image
whiskaz
Art Expert

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:57 pm

How exactly are you to see the edge damage if the photos were of it framed? Was the damage visible? I'd probably fight that one. If you receive a damaged item... you don't proceed to frame it. You take photos of the issue/s and handle it as little as possible.

In other words, I agree with you -
any dissatisfaction should be addressed immediately upon unrolling and a plan established for moving forward
Good luck. Keep all correspondence in the event you need it should a claim be filed against you. Should be able to talk your way out of this one.
hax0n
Art Expert

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:04 pm

If it was a problem he would want to return it originally and you could offer a partial refund as an option (if you want). If someone comes out of the gate immediately asking for a partial refund they are just trying to get a discount on their newly acquired print.
electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works
hippiern
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:05 pm

thanks guys, i feel like this site is the best authority there is in matters such as this. I am empathetic about the print damage, but i am really having trouble with being held accountable for it at this point. it is also a semi-rare print and wasnt exactly cheap.

the damage is visible in the frame because it was framed without a matting.

hippiern
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:12 pm

also, in terms of my shipping practices, print was in plastic sleeve, then also rolled in kraft. no less than 2" on both ends, the roll was taped to prevent any unrolling and also taped to the interior of the tube to prevent sliding.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:13 pm

:lol:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
hippiern
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:15 pm

sidewaysscott wrote::lol:
actually :( :?
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:23 pm

I'm laughing because they framed it, then contacted you about damage? who does that?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
lsmith55
Art Expert

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:42 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:I'm laughing because they framed it, then contacted you about damage? who does that?
Seriously- nobody would do that. Why also would they send pictures of the print framed without showing any actual damage. Not only does this guy sound like a scammer, he is also incredibly terrible at scamming.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:08 am

Could be they paid too much getting it framed and in the buyers remorse phase are trying to recoup some of the cost by scamming you.
Particle
Art Expert

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:14 am

1) What exactly is he asking from you? Did he specifically ask for a partial refund? Does he want to completely return it? Or is he just telling you there is damage, asking you to see what you can get from USPS, but will still be willing to keep it regardless of USPS outcome?

2) How much time in between the item being delivered and him contacting you about damage? This is important info. Run the tracking number again if you have to find out exactly when it arrived vs. When he initially contacted you about damage..

WIth just the info you provided so far, sounds like another cheap and greedy asshole looking to retroactively get a better deal on a print he already bought. Sucks.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:17 am

Particle wrote:1) Name & Shame
Fixed.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:17 am

sidewaysscott wrote:I'm laughing because they framed it, then contacted you about damage? who does that?
hmmmm, this might be my new move. this way if i get sick of the print, i can get a different one. rent-a-print!
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:33 am

insist he send it back to you. no partial refund.