THE VACVVM: Official Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Whitey9457 wrote:Not to add to the negativity...but i gotta admit i'm not a fan of advertising on my clothes (especially since I don't really want to encourage more competition for print drops lol). Would've preferred at least some kind of art on there... They look like quality sweatshirts though. Just my $.02
And see I don't really see it so much as advertising as symbology. I'm a big fan of symbols in general. Whether it be logos (the osprey logo), or monograms (the vacvvm monogram) or whatever, I've always just been drawn to symbols. When done well they're a concentrated representation of some thing. And in this case that thing is an art collective I really enjoy. So I'm all about it. :D
So it goes...
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:00 am

I picked up a hooded sweatshirt. I think it's cool and I like what it represents.
bblyfan
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 am

Darkknight37 wrote:I picked up a hooded sweatshirt. I think it's cool and I like what it represents.
SteveGo
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:26 am

What is wrong with wearing clothing that supports a company or hobby you like? In this case especially, I doubt most people will know what the logo is and you'll have people asking and intrigued by it.

When it comes down to it, I think most of you just like to be contrarians and fudge on things other people like.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 am

Darkknight37 wrote:I picked up a hooded sweatshirt. I think it's cool and I like what it represents.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:33 am

SteveGo wrote:What is wrong with wearing clothing that supports a company or hobby you like? In this case especially, I doubt most people will know what the logo is and you'll have people asking and intrigued by it.

When it comes down to it, I think most of you just like to be contrarians and fudge on things other people like.
You might not find anything wrong with it and that's fine... everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not saying there is anything inherently wrong with it...I just don't like to do it. I think companies should pay for their advertising... not me paying them to advertise for them. When I wear something with a brand on it, I generally am making an exception... Like I don't want to advertise for them, but I really like the art or I really like the quality of the shirt or something.

And I don't want people asking me what the logo is on my shirt. That's the whole point in what I'm saying. I'd be advertising for them and paying them for the privilege... I'm really not trying to rant about it. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter and now just following up on your questions and accusations.

I would rather let the art speak for itself rather than risk it becoming "he's cool and he's wearing that logo... so that logo must be for a cool company" not saying I'm cool at all btw lol.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:44 am

ISO Medium Hoodie

WT Large Hoodie
jung
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:02 am

Particle wrote:Vacvvm has three print releases and it's not like all three were slam dunks. I'm sure it will turn out to be awesome and all, but fudge, it sure doesn't take much for you all to Obey and throw a logo on your chest.

Congrats on the limited black sweaters, luls.
Whitey9457 wrote:I don't want people asking me what the logo is on my shirt. That's the whole point in what I'm saying. I'd be advertising for them and paying them for the privilege.
The majority of us are art collectors hanging out on an art forum who like to support the work of artists we like. The Vacvvm is a collective made up of artists, each of whom have a fairly extensive body of work that many have been following for years. Is it really surprising that some folks here enjoy enthusiastically promoting such a venture and like spreading awareness of the artists involved? Some people want to wear apparel with corporate logos on them, while others prefer to rep artists and their work. I will gladly rep and "Obey" art over Nike. +1 sherpa hoodie :pint:
Image ImageImageImage Image
egrimens
Art Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:03 am

If you guys are experimenting with embroidery can we get the osprey logo embroidered on something? My main reason for passing is I have one of the light weight hoodies which has the same logo on the chest.
choke
Art Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 am

Can't wait to see the COA for my hoodie
smokeycat
Art Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 am

Congrats, I just awoke and opened the page. Thanks for the positive comments all, I also had considered hanging the smaller coa frame under Tallow with 2 straps connecting them ( just so they don't ever get separated ) I might some day in the future.
I also like what it represents and am a little glad I missed the heavy hoody sleeping, just cause I don't like zippers. Grabbed a crewneck though. :clap:
ImageImageImage
Naveau
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:07 am

Whitey9457 wrote:
SteveGo wrote:What is wrong with wearing clothing that supports a company or hobby you like? In this case especially, I doubt most people will know what the logo is and you'll have people asking and intrigued by it.

You might not find anything wrong with it and that's fine... everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not saying there is anything inherently wrong with it...I just don't like to do it. I think companies should pay for their advertising... not me paying them to advertise for them. When I wear something with a brand on it, I generally am making an exception... Like I don't want to advertise for them, but I really like the art or I really like the quality of the shirt or something.

And I don't want people asking me what the logo is on my shirt. That's the whole point in what I'm saying. I'd be advertising for them and paying them for the privilege... I'm really not trying to rant about it. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter and now just following up on your questions and accusations.

I would rather let the art speak for itself rather than risk it becoming "he's cool and he's wearing that logo... so that logo must be for a cool company" not saying I'm cool at all btw lol.
+1. Exact reason I passed. If it's your company then it's cool to wear the logo, but don't understand why people pay to wear a logo of someone else's company.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:12 am

Naveau wrote:
Whitey9457 wrote:

+1. Exact reason I passed. If it's your company then it's cool to wear the logo, but don't understand why people pay to wear a logo of someone else's company.
nice charlie immer avatar
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:32 am

Damn. What's been going on with all the hate lately? Before the new year, everyone seemed to be in good cheer.

I think the hoodies and crew sweatshirts are dope. They're more practical for people that will actually use them. There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to wear a logo as long as they like it. Some of you act like you just design and wear your own clothes. Unless you're nudists... Which is cool too.

Grown men talking about what people should and should not wear is silly. It's how you act and carry yourself that matters.

Just my 2 cents.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:33 am

jung wrote:
Particle wrote:Vacvvm has three print releases and it's not like all three were slam dunks. I'm sure it will turn out to be awesome and all, but fudge, it sure doesn't take much for you all to Obey and throw a logo on your chest.

Congrats on the limited black sweaters, luls.
Whitey9457 wrote:I don't want people asking me what the logo is on my shirt. That's the whole point in what I'm saying. I'd be advertising for them and paying them for the privilege.
The majority of us are art collectors hanging out on an art forum who like to support the work of artists we like. The Vacvvm is a collective made up of artists, each of whom have a fairly extensive body of work that many have been following for years. Is it really surprising that some folks here enjoy enthusiastically promoting such a venture and like spreading awareness of the artists involved? Some people want to wear apparel with corporate logos on them, while others prefer to rep artists and their work. I will gladly rep and "Obey" art over Nike. +1 sherpa hoodie :pint:
I really just wanted to give my opinion and move on... so this is the last reply I'll give on the topic... but, no. I'm not surprised by it at all... And I don't care what shirts others choose to wear... Again, just saying, I don't like to do that. Not my cup of tea. This is not me making any judgement about you or your choices. I am an art collector too and I (just me) would rather let the art speak for itself... I can definitely understand mfaith's view that the symbol CAN be appreciated on it's own as art. and that's fine... people have different tastes. Not making any judgements and i totally respect that. I have seen the slippery slope that merchandising can lead companies down... but really my ultimate point was that I would've just rather had something more than a symbol on the shirt. If you want to represent your favorite artists, is it ridiculous to suggest putting some of their art on the merchandise they sell? To me, this is like writing "AARON HORKEY" on a shirt or something, with no other pictures.

Not everyone needs to like the same things. To be honest, I think the people upset over my comments are being much more critical of my comments and choices than I was about these shirts or your choices. Do i either have to like it or remain silent?