THE VACVVM: Official Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:07 pm

noweyesee wrote:Does the same rule apply for a movie you never saw in a theater?
Kind of a false equivalence . . . I can still see the movie and it's not a one-time event.

But like I said, I gave up the rule and I never begrudged anyone else buying gig posters without having attended the show, it was just a personal thing that I felt.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:26 pm

hunterjax wrote:
noweyesee wrote:Does the same rule apply for a movie you never saw in a theater?
Kind of a false equivalence . . . I can still see the movie and it's not a one-time event.

But like I said, I gave up the rule and I never begrudged anyone else buying gig posters without having attended the show, it was just a personal thing that I felt.
What about Mondo movie posters from screenings with event info :wink:
I think that parallel sort of reaffirms the state you've now settled on, which is that you don't necessarily need to have attended the show, but it's at least for a band you like. Which is about where I'm at as well. :pint:
So it goes...
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:57 pm

mfaith wrote:
hunterjax wrote:

I think that parallel sort of reaffirms the state you've now settled on, which is that you don't necessarily need to have attended the show, but it's at least for a band you like. Which is about where I'm at as well. :pint:
Ha - I knew someone was going to say that! My first mondo is for the Iron Man from Fantastic Fest which I wasn't at!

You win again internets! :D :pint:
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:52 pm

mfaith wrote:
hunterjax wrote:

For sure I'll make an exception for Jimi, The Man in Black, Mogwai...
exagenous
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Any news on a gallery show this year? I'm out of the loop so I haven't seen/heard anything about one yet.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 pm

exagenous wrote:Any news on a gallery show this year?
Not so far.
So it goes...
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:23 pm

I wouldn’t even call it a rule, more of an opinion. If I like something, I’ll buy it. I bought this because it’s fantastic.
piper27
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 pm

mfaith wrote:
exagenous wrote:Any news on a gallery show this year?
Not so far.
I'd put money on it
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:32 pm

apalma27 wrote:
I wouldn’t even call it a rule, more of an opinion. If I like something, I’ll buy it. I bought this because it’s fantastic.
I do know people who say they have that as a guideline/rule. They strictly won't buy gigposters for shows they don't attend. It is a thing some subscribe to.
So it goes...
aldobishalini
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:41 am

mfaith wrote:
apalma27 wrote:
I do know people who say they have that as a guideline/rule. They strictly won't buy gigposters for shows they don't attend. It is a thing some subscribe to.
I'm into this hobby for the art. Who cares if I've never been to the show. I don't even like Primus and I have a few of their gig posters.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:47 am

I'm not defending that perspective. Just saying that it exists. :)

Edit: At least the part about attending a show. I do tend to draw the line for myself that the poster needs to at least be for a band I like. I can't really get into buying a poster for a band I have zero interest in (with some notable exceptions :lol: ). It'd be a bit of a misrepresentation of my interests. But if you're cool with that, awesome. That's just my personal preference.
So it goes...
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:45 am

^this
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:31 am

Agreed. It would have to be a REALLY nice piece of art for a band that i either did not like or have some sort of memory or association with. If i like the band and the art but didnt attend the show i will most likely grab it, but it can also depend how prominent the "show info" is. There are some pieces where the show/band info is pretty subtle and others where the info is dead center/in your face. The piece is definitely more special to me if i did attend the show, but at the same time i wont buy a print for a show i went to where i dont like the art.
Art>Band>Show
Luckily Horkey makes prints for bands i like, in this case Converge, so this was a no-brainer for me.

now would any of you get a full tour poster when you didnt attend any of the dates?
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:44 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:And it’s the furthest thing from a gig poster you can get from a gig poster as the text is illegible.
I guess in the traditional sense that's true, but none of these things we're usually buying around here were made to be posted on the side of a building or telephone pole for advertisement. Clearly the art is meant to overrule the ad in this case. It really is an art piece/memento "in the tradition of" a gig poster, as goldenrose says below.
goldenrose wrote:I'd like to say that Aaron elevated the gig poster to a new level by making the artwork the primary focus - but the truth is that the psychedelic art forefathers Rick Griffin, Wes Wilson, Victor Moscoso, Mouse/Kelly, Lee Conklin etc. did that. Making the text hard to read or even illegible in sixties gig posters was done on purpose - to throw the "squares" off and speak to the "enlightened".

Just the same I think Aaron is a trailblazer in this respect by adding his own angle to the mix - intricate illustrative work with a subtle personal narrative. Why shouldn't a gig poster be a thing of beauty?
The same can be said of a lot of the current alternative movie posters that we collect. I don't think an Olly Moss Star Wars would work that well as an initial advertisement in 1977, but it's great for a viewer that already knows and likes the movie. Same general format, totally different end goal.
mfaith wrote:I'm not defending that perspective. Just saying that it exists. :)

Edit: At least the part about attending a show. I do tend to draw the line for myself that the poster needs to at least be for a band I like. I can't really get into buying a poster for a band I have zero interest in (with some notable exceptions :lol: ). It'd be a bit of a misrepresentation of my interests. But if you're cool with that, awesome. That's just my personal preference.

I gave that up long ago. Other than maybe Graveyard, I'd have zero Horkey gig pieces if I did that.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
aldobishalini
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm

NC Winters has been releasing these gig prints like a boss in the recent year... totally killing it. I am a fan of NC, so with pieces like his lastest GD (neutral about GD), or any of his recent Primus (don't like Primus, too weird), the image is what I am buying for sure.

I only have one gig print (1st print ever) and its Shepard Fairey's Chili Pepper/Bernie Sanders fundraiser print from 2016. RHCP is my favorite band coupled with Bernie Sanders (weird to have his name anywhere) so I bought it because I wanted something to remember the show by, didn't open the tube up for 5+ months. Then I saw how nice of a poster it was and the addiction started!!
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”