Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:26 am

SULACO wrote:Image
I would buy this
Toats
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet about Poisonborn: it is crazy how much control Sutfin has over those watercolours. As far as mediums go, watercolours are probably the last tool artists look to use for doing fine detail work. Lots of tight areas in which he added them, though. :clap:
cutterbutter
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

I'll ask a blanket question because I don't keep up with all 8 artists equally and I'm sure others would be interested:
Were all the pieces in this set made just for the portfolio or have we seen them in another form before? Were any debuted along with the portfolio onsale?
jayper
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 pm

cutterbutter wrote:I'll ask a blanket question because I don't keep up with all 8 artists equally and I'm sure others would be interested:
Were all the pieces in this set made just for the portfolio or have we seen them in another form before? Were any debuted along with the portfolio onsale?
There were teases for most of the prints, but as far as I know, the only piece of work that had been released prior was Horkey's Irruption. Not a print though, it was an OG.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Ruas had an original of his piece at Spoke-Art.
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:23 pm

iambillyg wrote:Ruas had an original of his piece at Spoke-Art.
Confirmed. I saw Ruas's piece in person at Spoke Art's Supersonic Invitational show. http://spoke-art.myshopify.com/collecti ... -symphonet
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:50 am

Mitch is on today's AiD. :D
So it goes...
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:15 am

35mmpaul wrote:We moved on.
If only that was true. :wink:
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
cutterbutter
Art Expert

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:26 am

mfaith wrote:Mitch is on today's AiD. :D
Can you buy the circle of trust for just one episode? Can't tell if there's a page on my phone. Just see the $9.99 a month.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am

cutterbutter wrote:
mfaith wrote:Mitch is on today's AiD. :D
Can you buy the circle of trust for just one episode? Can't tell if there's a page on my phone. Just see the $9.99 a month.
You used to be able to, but I don't see that option anymore.
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Went about googling some of the titles for the portfolio pieces, and found it pretty interesting.

Irruption - Defintion: a sudden violent entrance; a bursting in << Pretty clear what was meant by this

Pamir - Pamir mountains are in Central Asia and formed by a 'knot' or junction, and they're among the worlds highest mountains. I'm guessing this piece is meant to depict a camp of mountain people living on one of the mountains?

Mursi - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mursi_people - The Mursi are an ethnic group in Ethiopia

Symphonet - Not sure about this one. It may just mean symphony or symphonette (small symphony orchestra). My thought though is that it refers to sympony's origin:
Middle English (denoting any of various instruments such as the dulcimer or the virginal): from Old French symphonie, via Latin from Greek sumphōnia, from sumphōnos ‘harmonious,’ from sun- ‘together’ + phōnē ‘sound.’
So, simply "harmonious"

Poison Born - I think this is more or less obvious. From Mike's notes: "Several poison barbs rising from skin...", "Poison eels...merge into/out of face", "Small bubbles of life near mouth".

The End of April - http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/t ... -the-year/ The second half of April is a significant time in the calendars of the occult. And often accompanied by human sacrifice.
Throughout many centuries and across many civilizations, the second half of April has always been a time of blood sacrifice.
Megalith - Definition: a large stone that forms a prehistoric monument (e.g., a menhir) or part of one (e.g., a stone circle or chamber tomb). << Pretty straightforward

The Sunken Cathedral - I believe this is in reference to "La cathédrale engloutie" a piece of music written by the French composer Claude Debussy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_cath%C ... _engloutie
This piece is based on an ancient Breton myth in which a cathedral, submerged underwater off the coast of the Island of Ys, rises up from the sea on clear mornings when the water is transparent. Sounds can be heard of priests chanting, bells chiming, and the organ playing, from across the sea. Accordingly, Debussy uses certain harmonies to allude to the plot of the legend, in the style of musical symbolism.
*disclaimer: these are all just my own ramblings and not taken from any statements by the artists. Just meant to spur discussion. :pint:
So it goes...
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:12 am

So excited to slowly unsheathe this portfolio print by print... :dance:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
Xander
Art Expert

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:25 am

I think you'll need some of these. :-P

Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:33 am

Xander wrote:I think you'll need some of these. :-P

And maybe some of this?