THE VACVVM: Official Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:44 am

electrachrome wrote:long time collector of Aaron's work and Croatoan isn't in line with my current tastes. Technically I'm sure it's fantastic, but just not for me. My regret is not grabbing one for one of you hardcore fans that aren't subscribers. The letterpress looks great, but imagery of death isn't what I'm into; never has been. I'm hoping for some more peaceful work from THE VACVVM like Holt's wave that was in the NYC show.
I agree - there are a load of images where I would have snapped up a chance at a letterpress, but this wasnt one of them.
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:51 am

fitz wrote:I agree - there are a load of images where I would have snapped up a chance at a letterpress, but this wasnt one of them.
Aaron's talent is evident, of course - the image itself isn't something that I would hang.
Tapecat
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:03 pm

The poster for Agalloch was too damn big for me to hang as a Death bird........The L.P.......Oh yes.......frame coming SOON!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Anyone (murdock?) know if the letterpress is 1:1 scale with the OG ink like the other letterpress prints? Seems large to me but I'm not sure how big that OG is.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:21 pm

I am *guessing* it is...
But I can't really confirm or deny.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:23 pm

IWish wrote:
fitz wrote:I agree - there are a load of images where I would have snapped up a chance at a letterpress, but this wasnt one of them.
Aaron's talent is evident, of course - the image itself isn't something that I would hang.

With VERY limited wallspace, but a GREAT deal of pride. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:24 pm

fitz wrote:
electrachrome wrote:long time collector of Aaron's work and Croatoan isn't in line with my current tastes. Technically I'm sure it's fantastic, but just not for me. My regret is not grabbing one for one of you hardcore fans that aren't subscribers. The letterpress looks great, but imagery of death isn't what I'm into; never has been. I'm hoping for some more peaceful work from THE VACVVM like Holt's wave that was in the NYC show.
I agree - there are a load of images where I would have snapped up a chance at a letterpress, but this wasnt one of them.
Couldn't possibly disagree more. But it is art and everyone is absolutely entitle to an opinion. :cheers:
Baker
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:27 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Anyone (murdock?) know if the letterpress is 1:1 scale with the OG ink like the other letterpress prints? Seems large to me but I'm not sure how big that OG is.
Im pretty sure it is. We saw it while in Windom and it was definitely on larger paper, probably 11x17 paper I am guessing. Like the LOTR pieces, it was one of the larger originals I had seen of Aarons, and it was insanely detailed.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Don't take offense, decker. As we all know...tastes differ.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:34 pm

That being said...
I *do* absolutely agree with electrachrome about LOVING to see Holt's wave as a letterpress!
Seriously, in hindsight... I almost wish I had bought *nothing* at the show and had instead spent the
3.5 hrs I was in line waiting to purchase, just staring at *that* ink instead. It would likely have been
time better spent. But then I might not have gotten Brandon's "Griffin" print... and that would have
made my daughter far less happy than she is GOING to be come Xmas, when that bad boy gets framed
up for her room! She is 13 and I am trying to put the "metal" training wheels on...

Trying to make Neurosis a point of entry! :lol:
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:35 pm

IWish wrote:Don't take offense, decker. As we all know...tastes differ.
Dude, no offense taken. See my post just one post after quoting you own. :wink:
erikopsa
New User

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Can anyone with expertise explain to me how to produce an image like this with a letterpress? I know how a letterpress typically works, but can't understand how to achieve this level of detail with one. Is it etched into a plate using acid?
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:43 pm

decker3984 wrote:
IWish wrote:Don't take offense, decker. As we all know...tastes differ.
Dude, no offense taken. See my post just one post after quoting you own. :wink:
Its just too "metal" for my tastes - maybe in my younger days I would have gone for it but as I slide into middle age I am a lot more limited in terms of what I can get away with hanging on the walls :)

as an aside, are the tshirts and hoodies also limited? I just saw that the Horkey Hooodie had sold out?
Tapecat
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Too Metal.....Pffft....The frame job that has the lettering on the gig poster matted out is OUTSTANDING...

It ain't metal...when the lettering is gone...it's NATURE! :wink:

Nature in Decay is AWESOME.
Tapecat
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Bitch now - Regret Later = The American poster collecting way

A LOT of folks bitched about the Nesting price & the L.P. sets and didn't buy it...jest sayin.
Last edited by Tapecat on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.