Commission discussion

General art-related discussion.
cgriff
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:59 pm

I would like to commission Stout to do a Debbie Does Dallas print. Run of only 69, plus a few extra to flip just to cover my costs of course.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:02 pm

lels
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
kotopa4
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:04 pm

cgriff wrote:I would like to commission Stout to do a Debbie Does Dallas print. Run of only 69, plus a few extra to flip just to cover my costs of course.
Has the '14 member of the year vote commenced yet?
danieldanger wrote:dont get me wrong, i like the banksy street stuff, its clever and impressivly done, but this print racket is kinda ridiculous.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 pm

My two cents. I don't have a problem with commission's as most people want title blocks, likeness rights and so forth. Good, that's fine. However, my understanding is that people wanted alternative film posters in the first place were wanting ones that weren't just the old floating head thing that has become so common with film posters (official film posters that is) nowadays. Likeness rights is good, but I think not having likeness rights is great as well as it challenges the artist to create something unique. Now, so artists don't like being challenged, but I think it creates better art in some ways.

Also, films that really don't need a print are getting prints made. Now, nothing against the artist, but Book of Eli is a fudge film that didn't really need a print of it done. Yeah, one could argue that 'well, that's the point of a commission group so that prints for films that wouldn't usually get one done are getting made' but still, Book of Eli sucks donkeys.

The other concern I have is that with commissions the art direction sometimes isn't there. It's fine for experienced artists like Mike Mitchell or Killian Eng, but younger artists may need a bit more direction and I'm not sure a commission group is able to provide that in some cases.

As for the legality of it all, I'm not such a huge fan of having prints that aren't official and I'm moving towards getting more art prints rather than film prints, especially given that galleries nowadays are just putting out essentially 'fan art' shows. I know it's more than that, but really, the Joss Whedon show and Edgar Wright shows are really just 'fan art' as they're not official. Which is cute I guess.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:23 am

DonPiano wrote:As for the legality of it all, I'm not such a huge fan of having prints that aren't official and I'm moving towards getting more art prints rather than film prints, especially given that galleries nowadays are just putting out essentially 'fan art' shows. I know it's more than that, but really, the Joss Whedon show and Edgar Wright shows are really just 'fan art' as they're not official. Which is cute I guess.
Which is funny since Wright clearly was cool with it (showed up to it after all), Joss is probably going to check out his show (he'd been to the Avengers one already)...heck when Spoke Art did their Scorsese show he sent an assistant to buy a couple of OGs for him. I imagine those artists got a kick out of receiving such acknowledgment...
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
fredo
Art God

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:28 am

Yeah, but do Whedon and Scorsese even own the publishing, etc. rights to whatever properties were being hocked? Certainly they don't own any likenesses outside their own. Unless...they're El Diablo?!??!!
just a foil for me today, thanks
badascii
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 pm

let's all shed a single tear for conglomerates losing unremarkable amounts of control over IPs they seem completely incapable of utilizing properly. see: just about every theatrical poster ever.

validation from a film's director means far more to me.
fredo
Art God

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Grandstanding is fun.
just a foil for me today, thanks
charter
Art Expert

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:41 am

rerocustom1989 wrote:
phubar2 wrote:You might need to find a new hobby, rerocustom...
eh, I made a bot so I can get what I want. You guys can fight over art you won't even display for yourselves. Go collect gold, or play the stock market or something.
Let's see your frame ups.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 am

fredo wrote:Grandstanding is fun.
Stealing is funner.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
furycat
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:57 am

cgriff wrote:I would like to commission Stout to do a Debbie Does Dallas print. Run of only 69, plus a few extra to flip just to cover my costs of course.
please give me the number 69 for the print of coz
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 pm

charter wrote:Let's see your frame ups.

Will Xpost to print acquisition thread too.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
charter wrote:Let's see your frame ups.
Will Xpost to print acquisition thread too.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... &start=615

Also: Commissions rule.