Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:37 pm

35mmpaul wrote:yeah. but like JP has the benefit of being a movie people love.

i think people are pretty hard pressed to say they LOVE the witch. and even harder pressed to say I LOVE GOATS. i need a big old goat on my wall that needs to be custom framed because its not a 24x36.
Eh, we've had MMMs involving The Mist or City of Lost Children.

Again, just part of the fun is the gamble of what gets picked. Sometimes it's a crowd-pleaser, sometimes it's more mixed.

Honestly I think if MMM ever gets revived it should be more full-tilt and be done as a 3-movie mystery marathon with 3 posters. Play the odds in terms of showing a couple options.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:yeah. but like JP has the benefit of being a movie people love.

i think people are pretty hard pressed to say they LOVE the witch. and even harder pressed to say I LOVE GOATS. i need a big old goat on my wall that needs to be custom framed because its not a 24x36.
Eh, we've had MMMs involving The Mist or City of Lost Children.

Again, just part of the fun is the gamble of what gets picked. Sometimes it's a crowd-pleaser, sometimes it's more mixed.

Honestly I think if MMM ever gets revived it should be more full-tilt and be done as a 3-movie mystery marathon with 3 posters. Play the odds in terms of showing a couple options.
Sounds like a butt numbing marathon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Eh, we've had MMMs involving The Mist or City of Lost Children.

yeah.those are some very niche downer movies.

i was more commenting on the benefit of re-contextualization and longevity on Horkey's JP has more to do with the fact that the film its focusing on is just more enjoyable to watch. and has a passionate fanbase. is a franchise and is continuously putting out new movies and content.

The Witch is a highly divisive that is slow, quiet, and punishing. i mean in the first 10 minutes of the movie....two words....baby jelly.

the comment has nothing to with the art.

it is as much of a gamble on the audience as it is the artist.

My only note for an MMM in the future would be, pick a movie that is just a little more fun to watch at the end of a long day of mondocon.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:12 pm

35mmpaul wrote:My only note for an MMM in the future would be, pick a movie that is just a little more fun to watch at the end of a long day of mondocon.
So Straw Dogs with a print by Sam Wolfe Connolly? Should be a merry romp! :D
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Or just not program in another movie that late after two already dour films - we just came off of The Fountain and Clockwork Orange at the point. Honestly they could've programmed in Enter the Dragon then and I feel like I still would've been too fried for it. But the team acknowledged that they could've arranged it better and something else happened that caused the programming shuffle (why Enter The Dragon's screening date on the poster was for Saturday, not Sunday).

At any rate, the usual response is "IT COULD'VE BEEN A STOUT WHY WASN'T IT A STOUT WE COULD BE HOLDING STOUTS RIGHT NOW", right
rubberneck wrote: Sounds like a butt numbing marathon...
Only lightly desensitized. Anything more would make for lead to what I imagine to be a hairy situation.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:18 pm

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/black- ... er-posters

BLACK PANTHER by Martin Ansin
24"x36" Screenprinted Poster, Edition of 375
Printed by DL Screenprinting
Expected to Ship in March 2019
Available to ship in the US and Select Countries Internationally
$60

BLACK PANTHER (Variant) by Martin Ansin
24"x36" Screenprinted Poster, Edition of 200
Available to ship in the US and Select Countries Internationally
$80

DESTROYER by Matt Ryan Tobin
36"x24" Screenprinted Poster, Edition of 150
Ships Worldwide
$45
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:19 pm

That Destroyer poster is super disappointing compared to the art used for the LP.
ifonly216
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 pm

That's may be the most boring Ansin poster I have ever seen....
Last edited by ifonly216 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" time wounds all the heals"
jayper
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Oscar release prayers were answered a few days early.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Not sure why I typed this...

As mentioned, MMMs are all about expectations. When the expectation was to hang with fellow collectors, watch a mystery movie, and get a unique memento from the event, times were fun and the vibe was pure. Folks going with the expectation of a highly-flippable print for a property everybody loves, deserve the disappointment they set themselves up for. Also, I'm not a fan of people who spoil the surprise for other people (so wack and against the spirit of the whole thing).

The first one was full of infectious positivity. The second one was the same. I don't recall any disappointment (if so it was from people who weren't there). People were geeking out over JP and the Horkey prints. At the time, I was an ambassador of Team Quality (and a firm believer that JP has an amazing soundtrack and good effects, but is an overrated movie) and if I had known what the movie was going to be, I definitely wouldn't have rented a car (I had no vehicle at the time) and took the time off work to drive up and attend. It was still an amazing event despite having to sit through JP. The highlight was meeting Horkey (he was elusive back then), seeing the amazing Phil Tippett Q&A, and watching The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad on the big screen. (And hanging in line with friends, of course.) I was psyched for ChiSoxFan who was in attendance and was EB's biggest JP fan.

When Claudia and I went to California for the MMMs it was an amazing experience despite most of the movies not really appealing to me. The only ones I really loved going in was The Iron Giant and The City of Lost Children. I hadn't seen The Mist, but that was a memorable screening with a gut-punch ending and a killer print. It was awesome. I'm not crazy about Assault on Precinct 13, 28 Days Later, and Hellraiser (and I don't like the Taylor CoLC print), but it was still a very memorable experience.

Not sure what I'm rambling on about and to what end... I guess I'm just saying that it's all about the experience and when you make it about the print or the flip factor of the print you essentially drymounting up your good time. One of the most memorable MMMs was Dawn of the Dead with Romero and the zombie apocalypse at the mall. I generally detest zombies and I don't care at all about that movie, but that was a super unique experience that I will always remember and if I could go back and change the movie to something I like better, I wouldn't.

It sucks that expectations got out of hand and regardless of what Mondo does, people will be disappointed and feel let down.

I like the movie The Witch. I like Horkey's work. It isn't a fun movie to watch with a group of people and I would never hang that poster or even allow it in my flat file (thing looks like pure evil), but I don't think it was a wack MMM choice. I'm sure there are Horkey/Witch fans that love that print and remember the experience fondly.

I didn't go to the Die Hard MMM, but I recall people being disappointed with that print because it wasn't a big floaty head Stout, but in hindsight that's probably one of the better MMM prints.

What MMMs came after Die Hard? I can't remember which MondoCon screenings were MMMs and which were advertised in advance? I loved the screenings of Enter the Dragon and The Fountain.
egrimens
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:59 pm

jayper wrote:Oscar release prayers were answered a few days early.
but it just goes to show, they could have done Destroyer tomorrow and saved the Ansins as a surprise for Oscar night. Would have been fun and chaotic.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:06 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Not sure why I typed this...

As mentioned, MMMs are all about expectations. When the expectation was to hang with fellow collectors, watch a mystery movie, and get a unique memento from the event, times were fun and the vibe was pure. Folks going with the expectation of a highly-flippable print for a property everybody loves, deserve the disappointment they set themselves up for. Also, I'm not a fan of people who spoil the surprise for other people (so wack and against the spirit of the whole thing).

The first one was full of infectious positivity. The second one was the same. I don't recall any disappointment (if so it was from people who weren't there). People were geeking out over JP and the Horkey prints. At the time, I was an ambassador of Team Quality (and a firm believer that JP has an amazing soundtrack and good effects, but is an overrated movie) and if I had known what the movie was going to be, I definitely wouldn't have rented a car (I had no vehicle at the time) and took the time off work to drive up and attend. It was still an amazing event despite having to sit through JP. The highlight was meeting Horkey (he was elusive back then), seeing the amazing Phil Tippett Q&A, and watching The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad on the big screen. (And hanging in line with friends, of course.) I was psyched for ChiSoxFan who was in attendance and was EB's biggest JP fan.

When Claudia and I went to California for the MMMs it was an amazing experience despite most of the movies not really appealing to me. The only ones I really loved going in was The Iron Giant and The City of Lost Children. I hadn't seen The Mist, but that was a memorable screening with a gut-punch ending and a killer print. It was awesome. I'm not crazy about Assault on Precinct 13, 28 Days Later, and Hellraiser (and I don't like the Taylor CoLC print), but it was still a very memorable experience.

Not sure what I'm rambling on about and to what end... I guess I'm just saying that it's all about the experience and when you make it about the print or the flip factor of the print you essentially drymounting up your good time. One of the most memorable MMMs was Dawn of the Dead with Romero and the zombie apocalypse at the mall. I generally detest zombies and I don't care at all about that movie, but that was a super unique experience that I will always remember and if I could go back and change the movie to something I like better, I wouldn't.

It sucks that expectations got out of hand and regardless of what Mondo does, people will be disappointed and feel let down.

I like the movie The Witch. I like Horkey's work. It isn't a fun movie to watch with a group of people and I would never hang that poster or even allow it in my flat file (thing looks like pure evil), but I don't think it was a wack MMM choice. I'm sure there are Horkey/Witch fans that love that print and remember the experience fondly.

I didn't go to the Die Hard MMM, but I recall people being disappointed with that print because it wasn't a big floaty head Stout, but in hindsight that's probably one of the better MMM prints.

What MMMs came after Die Hard? I can't remember which MondoCon screenings were MMMs and which were advertised in advance? I loved the screenings of Enter the Dragon and The Fountain.
You typed it cuz you were reading my damn mind. :lol:

It's just supposed to be a fun time with a neat memento. I may not be ZOMG the VVITCH but it was still a fun 3-movie-binge for me and led to a fun convo with Horkey at the Con about it. Ah well.
jayper
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:08 pm

RottenAtom wrote: What MMMs came after Die Hard? I can't remember which MondoCon screenings were MMMs and which were advertised in advance? I loved the screenings of Enter the Dragon and The Fountain.
Stout - Goonies was NOT a mystery movie. EDIT: Old brain, can't remember stuff.
Horkey - ROTK?

Was Mask of the Phantasm (the first time) a mystery, I can't remember.
Last edited by jayper on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm

jayper wrote:
RottenAtom wrote: What MMMs came after Die Hard? I can't remember which MondoCon screenings were MMMs and which were advertised in advance? I loved the screenings of Enter the Dragon and The Fountain.
Stout - Goonies was a mystery movie.

Was Mask of the Phantasm (the first time) a mystery, I can't remember.
Goonies wasn't a mystery movie, they announced the film ahead of time but not the artist. Mitch made a comment about it being a "heavy hitter" though. Horkey Return definitely was (ISO variant btw).
Last edited by Kramerica on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Yup, it was not a mystery movie. The ticket sales were definitely for Goonies, artist was not known (though everybody guessed it by the price).

Die Hard was indeed the last MMM before Horkey VVitch.