Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

I get you. Yeah I too would prefer that they had less stringent workflow. Would like likeness and credit blocks on most of my prints. I would say that there are some occasions where artist have found some really creative and fun work arounds to that. But sometimes when they aren't there you can really feel it in a print.

I mean just think of it this way. If I were to do a drawing of you, without your permission , and for whatever reason I made $10,000 off selling copies of it and gave you no compensation, you would be ok with that? i would maybe buy you a beer as a thank you...maybe.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

hunterjax wrote:
ccsmd598 wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:I know companies like Mondo have to follow the legalities of having credit blocks on prints or not which does suck for most of us who would prefer them.

But does anyone else fall in the camp that they don't care if the prints are "officially licensed" and would rather have awesome prints without the "approval" of the studio/company etc. I miss the old days of mondo and other companies that just release what they wanted without approval. Obviously they do things by the book now and can't go back but i'll always miss those days.

But to me when companies come out and say "Oooh it's an officially licensed screenprint" that literally does nothing for me if they can't put likenesses and credit blocks on it for the studio to approve it.

But if the art is great enough, i wont mind a lack of credits.
I totally agree. I think people are forgetting that this whole hobby, licensed or not is just fan art. Not of this fudge was ever intended to be used in a movie theater so whatevz. No one will every ask you if your print is officially licensed when they see it on your wall.
not disagreeing with this at all, buuuuut the "fan art" of Mondo, etc is starting to bleed into studios making their own one-sheets more like AMPs - look at The Shape of Water, Baby Driver, and Mother!. So, we are maybe getting to a place where more and more of this stuff is "crossing over" and it's becoming less fan art and more truly "alternative" takes. The more that happens, Mondo is going to be ahead of the game because they already have the licensing and approvals roadmap well in hand. Not to mention their relationship with the most desirable artists in the game (I would say BNG is getting to be a very close second, but places like Vice, Grey Matter, and HCG are way behind on this.)
IMO I think a lot of what you see in the theater regarding art comes down to what the studios find most eye-catching/attention getting

vs

edit: I love when artwork like mother! and The Shape of Water get used for official one-sheets, but those are much less mainstream films and have the luxury of choosing an image like that to go with
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:those are much less mainstream films and have the luxury of choosing an image like that to go with
great point.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:18 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I get you. Yeah I too would prefer that they had less stringent workflow. Would like likeness and credit blocks on most of my prints. I would say that there are some occasions where artist have found some really creative and fun work arounds to that. But sometimes when they aren't there you can really feel it in a print.

I mean just think of it this way. If I were to do a drawing of you, without your permission , and for whatever reason I made $10,000 off selling copies of it and gave you no compensation, you would be ok with that? i would maybe buy you a beer as a thank you...maybe.
Yeah, I totally understand why it's done officially. I'm more so just reminiscing of the time where Mondo did basically give out drawings of me without my permission for a few years lol. Now I get to tell them they can't use my face or name, so most new pics of me are from the back lol. But yeah I get it, and like I said it's great for Mondo and other studios to be official.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Has Mondo (or Stout) confirmed that Stout Pulp Fiction is 100% off the table? I feel like Stout did in an interview but I may be misremembering.
Aedward5
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

EgoDeath wrote:Has Mondo (or Stout) confirmed that Stout Pulp Fiction is 100% off the table? I feel like Stout did in an interview but I may be misremembering.
Does it matter, you'll never get it at the drop and you'll have to sell your first born to afford one on the secondary market.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Aedward5 wrote:
EgoDeath wrote:Has Mondo (or Stout) confirmed that Stout Pulp Fiction is 100% off the table? I feel like Stout did in an interview but I may be misremembering.
Does it matter, you'll never get it at the drop and you'll have to sell your first born to afford one on the secondary market.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 pm

I personally have not heard of any plans that this one is getting done.

Maybe someone who is more in the stout inner circle can confirm.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm

codeblue wrote:luls

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Has anyone heard anything? I know they did one last year.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Here is the most likely scenario. Stout did the poster and finished the artwork. Mondo says "we don't have likeness rights for Willis, Travolta, etc, etc,". Stout says "Well, that's the poster, I don't want to do it without those likenesses."

Poster gets examined by "top men".

Something similar happened with one of the Planet of the Apes films iirc. Stout put a likeness in there that they didn't have and didn't want to change the art to not include that character.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Kramerica wrote: Poster gets examined by "top men".
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Aedward5 wrote:
Golden Ticket ready!!!
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm

iambillyg wrote:
Kramerica wrote: Poster gets examined by "top men".
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)