Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:21 pm

agr719 wrote:
bluebirdsong wrote:edit: Also Jock's Halloween draws an insane amount of inspiration from the original poster as far as color composition goes down to the movie tagline "the night he came home!"
Yeah, can't believe he aped that for his poster :roll:

In all seriousness, along the lines of what Paul is saying, can we just assume RR meant "best alternative print for that title" and move along? Obviously everyone in this business/hobby now owes some sort of debt to the people who made the original release posters for these films. Paul is right that you cannot equate the two.
Yea I get that, I'm just the type who has the utmost respect for all the poster artists that did not get the super star treatment all those years ago, back then they were just cool posters there was little dialogue about who created that image when the film was released. People who collected movie poster art just collected titles back then it was of little concern who did the actual art and now that we live in a different time I feel like it is important people acknowledge those posters. I really gotta hand it to BNG and Mondo for reaching out to the original poster artists on certain projects. Stoked to see more screenprints of original movie poster art in the future.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:21 pm

da drymount kind of twist did this take?
agr719
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Jock's prints are the best, except for the original release posters.
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:da drymount kind of twist did this take?
basically someone called Jocks posters the best poster for the thing and halloween, and I felt like that was a statement that wasn't true that the original poster artists for those films would remain the best posters for those films blah blah blah we all agree; I love old movie posters.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:25 pm

bluebirdsong wrote:
basically someone called Jocks posters the best poster for the thing and halloween, and I felt like that was a statement that wasn't true that the original poster artists for those films would remain the best posters for those films blah blah blah we all agree; I love old movie posters.
I understand that, just a weird position to take. I don't believe RR was comparing Jock to all Halloween posters, one sheets, half sheets, etc etc of all time. I'm fairly certain he's speaking strictly to the alternative poster world of the past 5-10 years or whatever it's been.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
bluebirdsong wrote:
I understand that, just a weird position to take. I don't believe RR was comparing Jock to all Halloween posters, one sheets, half sheets, etc etc of all time. I'm fairly certain he's speaking strictly to the alternative poster world of the past 5-10 years or whatever it's been.
ah I see, I understand what you're saying.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:42 pm

mondotees wrote:MondoCon 2016 Final Two Screenings
OCT 10, 2016
Tickets will go on sale October 12th at 12:00PM CST at mondo-con.com/events
Limit four tickets per person. A MondoCon wristband for the same day as the screening will be required for entry.

Mondo Mystery Movie XII - October 22nd, 10:00 pm - 12:00 am

Mondo Mystery Movie XII is coming to MondoCon 3! It's been a few years and we couldn't be more excited about this. Tickets go on sale this Wednesday at 12pm CST, but the movie will remain a closely held secret until the lights go down in the theater and the film starts Saturday night at MondoCon. All attendees will receive an exclusive screen printed poster for the film, included with ticket purchase.

Enter the Dragon - October 23rd, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

In 1973, martial arts legend Bruce Lee already had a successful film career in Hong Kong, and though he had a few roles in American television under his belt, he was still mostly an unknown to the rest of the world. That all changed with Enter the Dragon- the first time a major American studio financed a martial arts film, and more importantly, the first time many Westerners had seen Lee on the big screen.

The film, directed by Robert Clouse, concerns a man named Lee, recruited by a government agency to infiltrate a martial arts tournament on a remote island, hosted by the enigmatic Han. Along for the fight is Roper (John Saxton) and Williams (Jim Kelly), both headed to the island for their own personal, and in the case of Roper, financial reasons. Though Enter the Dragon sadly proved to be Bruce Lee's final completed film before his untimely death, it became a huge success worldwide, and also kick-started the "Kung Fu Kraze" of the 70s.

With its charismatic lead, dripping-with-cool co-stars, memorable Funk/Eastern fusion score, and kinetic, hard-hitting fight sequences, it stands as one of the best, most iconic martial arts films to this day. Come celebrate with us for a special 35mm presentation that includes an exclusive new poster by Jock.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:50 pm

not entirely sure.

Bluebird seems like he is gonna be a good new guy to keep the mondo thread interesting for a bit.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
not entirely sure.

Bluebird seems like he is gonna be a good new guy to keep the mondo thread interesting for a bit.
Nah just a semi-new collector, gotta say I appreciate how on top of stuff everyone is around here; impressive now that I think about it, I only have to visit one place for news about tons of different galleries and releases; 10/10 super resourceful.
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:55 pm

mondotees wrote:MondoCon 2016 Final Two Screenings
Mondo Mystery Movie XII - October 22nd, 10:00 pm - 12:00 am

Mondo Mystery Movie XII is coming to MondoCon 3! It's been a few years and we couldn't be more excited about this. Tickets go on sale this Wednesday at 12pm CST, but the movie will remain a closely held secret until the lights go down in the theater and the film starts Saturday night at MondoCon. All attendees will receive an exclusive screen printed poster for the film, included with ticket purchase.
So... just wait and see the ticket price before we can conclude the artist?!

Edit: $100... could be a Stout :x
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:56 pm

$100
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
toobs
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:57 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:
toobs wrote:that beer was soooo goooood too.... whats on tap this year? and no running out of kegs again super early
I thought last years was alright too but yeah MC1 beer was the fudge.
MC1 beer had me drymounted up quick :lol:
It was like 8%-9% and tasted like a summer ale . . . they need to bring that ch!t back and keep it around the whole con
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
thefiend5
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Can I buy tickets to the screening and then sell them to someone that is going?
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:01 pm

thefiend5 wrote:Can I buy tickets to the screening and then sell them to someone that is going?
no, the tickets have to match at least one the attendee names in the party of people attending a screening.
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:07 pm

I can PB the ticket sale (1-4 tickets)... use your information... you pay for the tickets (less 1)... and you send me one of the posters...

...but seriously, that is a real offer 8)
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm