General art-related discussion.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 pm

howdyall wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:21 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 pm
I wanted to build a pin reselling empire.
You didn't ask how many marvel pins I sold for $150 though. I did a tally at one point and had paid for all the pins in my possession and had an extra $7k. You heard me say EMPIRE right :lol:
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:14 am

35mmpaul wrote: i guess the question is, why do you need them to release 4-6 prints a week?

i mean you wanna talk about 'same as it ever was' people keep coming in here and complaining that 'mondo hasn't been good for a while' is way more old hat .
I’m confused as to where me asking how many prints they are now releasing a month now implicates that I’m dragging Mondo in any sort of way... if anything, it’s the opposite of a complaint - it’s actually a bit depressing that there is a palpable void.

People reacting like I came into their house and pissed on their Edmistons.
Last edited by EgoDeath on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredo
Art God

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 am

Recommend responding with the first/last sentences only there. #staypithy
just a foil for me today, thanks
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:14 am

fredo wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 am
Recommend responding with the first/last sentences only there. #staypithy
Agreed. Noted. Edited.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:51 am

EgoDeath wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:14 am
35mmpaul wrote: i guess the question is, why do you need them to release 4-6 prints a week?

i mean you wanna talk about 'same as it ever was' people keep coming in here and complaining that 'mondo hasn't been good for a while' is way more old hat .
I’m confused as to where me asking how many prints they are now releasing a month now implicates that I’m dragging Mondo in any sort of way... if anything, it’s the opposite of a complaint - it’s actually a bit depressing that there is a palpable void.
its not so much in the dragging of the brand. more so in the responses to others. but in the end its whatevez. here is a random gif

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:42 am

Prints = meh.

BNG is putting out more exciting prints nowadays.

Vinyl though - there's some nice, good releases there. That's where most of my Mondo Bucks™ go nowadays.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:55 am

DonPiano wrote:
Prints = meh.

Vinyl though - there's some nice, good releases there. That's where most of my Mondo Bucks™ go nowadays.
Bottleneck definitely stole Mondo’s thunder over the last few years
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:41 am

Everything went down hill after the die hard cream dream was fulfilled.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:26 am

DonPiano wrote:
Prints = meh.

This is one argument I just don't get. BNG is a great company - good people, excellent customer service. But just in terms of the actual art direction and caliber of artist they work with, Mondo is still the best. Their release are almost always unique/innovative/different.

To put it another way, I still buy probably a handful of Mondo prints every year. But with BNG, there *might* be 1 release per year that really interests me.
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:50 am

allyouzombies wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:26 am
But just in terms of the actual art direction and caliber of artist they work with, Mondo is still the best.
I've always thought this was the key difference. BNG has introduced me to some great artists and occasionally hits a home run, but I typically feel that many of their prints could benefit from better art direction. There's a lot of talent in their stable, but some of it could be wrangled into creating stronger concepts. While Mondo's releases may not always be my cup of tea either, I find most of them inspired and have an original take on the subject matter. Less is indeed more when you can spend the time fostering better ideas.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:08 am

35mmpaul wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:36 pm
wonkabars7 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:43 pm
35mmpaul wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:47 am
that emovieposter site is so bad.
Its the OG poster auction site, and the first one done very well. Bruce is the PT Barnum of poster collecting, but he is good at what he does, and has staff that is second to none. I would also put their packaging and turn around time on items sold as the best there is. When Bruce/EMP decide to hang em up for good, it will be a huge loss for the collectors community.
well if they are the best of the best they should have a better site.

and like...there are tons of facebook groups of poster collectors selling at way cheaper prices. and ebay for all your posters needs.

it was kinda laughable having that mondo auction on that site. and having it crash as auctions were ending, then extending the time and asking people 'dont use the site unless you really intend to buy something'
Perhaps yes, a more efficient site to manage high traffic, etc...but that hiccup was an anomaly, the only time there were issues that I can remember in over a decade. He probably doesn't need to do the super long sales diatribe emails, profit margin charts for consigners, etc etc...but it all generally works. He used to only sell on ebay but as EMP grew and their staff grew, they administered their own sales in an effort to bypass the ebay margin. But really it doesn't matter. The charm of it all, and Bruce, is old school, and he has several collectors all over the world that love it and prefer it. The site melting down with the droves of Mondos flocking to see how much they can now flip their fudge for won't deviate their main model, which is vintage paper to a different market (and with much bigger pockets).

And like...most folks who buy from EMP, HA, Christies, etc...don't mess with FB groups dude. I'm not on FB in any capacity. Would never buy stuff on FB, and generally have zero confidence in ebay 'sellers' and their ability to package properly...and if you collect vintage stuff, you have to worry about fakes on ebay constantly. EMP handles all of these issues re: authenticating, packaging stuff to withstand for a nuclear blast, and so on, so it is risk free in every way. So no, FB and ebay do not cover all 'poster needs' lol.

I think this is where the modern alt movie print crowds/market/venue folk don't necessarily understand the other side of the coin with vintage stuff, and who those collectors are. Bruce sold the only known copy of a crazy rare Houdini poster to David Copperfield...a poster that would never be on some FB group, and if on ebay, would have prob been a boot, like most Houdini 'originals' there.

A single auction catering to the Mondos and #poorslikeus causing the site to go FUBAR doesn't really change their status for collectors, nor does it deserve your knee jerk dismissal/pile on.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 am

my one sheet collection nearly doubled from a couple of years ago from using the facebook groups and ebay. not a fake among them and really no issues with shipping or packaging.

if you want classic posters and want to pay the premium, fine. but anything post 1985, there really are so few reasons to drop coin on these seller sites. they are a dime a dozen. and EMPs site honestly has really weirdly high prices for basic posters that you can get for much less elsewhere. i do collect vintage posters, but again, I got most of them on these groups or ebay and don't really find the benefit in having a site where i pay double to triple the price I can get elsewhere.

glad you are a fan. and sure it seems like they are nice guys, but the site looks like it hasn't been updated since 1999. but hey if it works for people, and they feel no need to update it, yeah i guess thats fine. But doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved at all.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:46 am

Out of curiosity, what 'vintage' stuff do you have/collect? That criteria would change any sort of response I would have at this point.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:00 pm

posters that are 40+ years old with paper that is so thin it could rip if you aren't careful.
howdyall
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 pm
howdyall wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:21 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 pm
I wanted to build a pin reselling empire.
You didn't ask how many marvel pins I sold for $150 though. I did a tally at one point and had paid for all the pins in my possession and had an extra $7k. You heard me say EMPIRE right :lol:
questions:

how much time and effort did this take you, including watching for drops and gathering inventory, packing and shipping and also chasing down any shipping issues
did you gain or lose money gauged against your hourly wage/salary

Not being a smartass, just feeling like this thought process may not be accounted for as often as it should. In the context of pins vs posters, pins are certainly less trouble in general, but it's still a process