Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 pm
You didn't ask how many marvel pins I sold for $150 though. I did a tally at one point and had paid for all the pins in my possession and had an extra $7k. You heard me say EMPIRE right :lol:
:clap: :notworthy: :clap:
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:37 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:00 pm
posters that are 40+ years old with paper that is so thin it could rip if you aren't careful.
I figured, but what subjects? SW, Bond, 80s, etc? I wouldn't spend a dime on SW stuff via FB groups unless I really knew the source on a personal level, or have an insight as to how they obtained their wares. eBay has some gems show up for a decent price now and again, but generally, those days are long gone. When I first started collecting seriously (spending 3-4 figures on a poster), the EMP auctions were usually on par with ebay results, and many times cheaper.
Most collectors of legit/expensive stuff don't use their time to drudge through ebay every day with filtered search results, and no chance they make big buys on FB. You pay for the piece of mind and time is money. If Bruce, or whateverauctionhouse.com has it and you want it and are cool with the price, you pull the trigger, its that simple. Thriftiness doesn't really apply.

Doesn't matter now, cat is out of the bag, especially since covid, with collectible hobbies being tougher to get into with values skyrocketing. I would hate to start collecting old stuff now, would probably not even own 2/3 of what I do have at this point, couldn't justify the cost.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm

just stuff i like. if it pops up and i can snag it for a good price i get it. i have about 150 theatrical posters. been collecting for over 20 years.

i dont have issues with if something is imperfect and have never been sold a fake poster when i was expecting a 'real' one. EMP seems like its fine for those who like it, but its paying a premium for something that can be purchased for much less elsewhere for many of the items if its not a vintage poster. i worked at a theater for years , so posters are a disposable good at the end of the day for me. i don't really value their authenticity or providence. i think especially if you can see pictures of the poster someone is selling, its very easy to figure out if something is an original or reprint. it would take more effort to reprint something and try and pass it off as rare original.

anyways. here's another random gif.

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:18 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm
i worked at a theater for years , so posters are a disposable good at the end of the day for me. i don't really value their authenticity or providence. [/img]
Then all this talk is moot, if you don't value authenticity...at least your angle makes more sense.

also, I could send you pics of several posters you would deem as OG, but in fact, are not. but again, doesn't matter....
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 pm

howdyall wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 pm
howdyall wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:21 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 pm
I wanted to build a pin reselling empire.
You didn't ask how many marvel pins I sold for $150 though. I did a tally at one point and had paid for all the pins in my possession and had an extra $7k. You heard me say EMPIRE right :lol:
questions:

how much time and effort did this take you, including watching for drops and gathering inventory, packing and shipping and also chasing down any shipping issues
did you gain or lose money gauged against your hourly wage/salary

Not being a smartass, just feeling like this thought process may not be accounted for as often as it should. In the context of pins vs posters, pins are certainly less trouble in general, but it's still a process
Can you really assign an hourly rate to something you love?

Only gains, why else would I be in business?

Also, I am definitely being a smart ass. To answer your question, most years I make money for dicking around on the computer and buying/selling collectibles. I don't separate my time/effort by product line. It's fun and it doesn't take any more of my time than a FT job would and of course all the benefits and drawbacks of working for yourself.
Last edited by ygolohcysp on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 pm

authenticity for a mass produced piece of advertisement is really only going to get you so far in terms of who wants to buy that and the value of reselling it.

some people want first edition books, and test pressing records i guess. collect what you like.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:31 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 pm
authenticity for a mass produced piece of advertisement is really only going to get you so far in terms of who wants to buy that and the value of reselling it.

some people want first edition books, and test pressing records i guess. collect what you like.
Uh, no. This is borderline ridiculous. Just say from the get go that you collect reprints on occasion and be done with it.
Meanwhile, I will take my chances with the original stuff on a resale 10/10 times over boots and licensed reprints.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:41 pm

i think out of my 150 posters, only two of them are reprints, and i knew i was buying a reprint. the rest are authentic or from a theater direct.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm

Good old mondo thread.

Remember a while back when they teased the Indy license? Or the A24xvacuum collab? Did they just forget about that stuff?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm

its been a fun return to form.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:49 pm

Luls. Is duke really trying to argue that the EMP site isn't janky AF? It's the movie poster version of dat awful 60s gig poster auction site, which also has peeps with really deep pockets. Seems like the deeper the pockets of the collectors, the jankier the site is.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:52 pm

Nice collection btw, Paul. And if you even want to sell that 'Thief' print..lmk :whistle:
toobs
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:49 pm
Luls. Is duke really trying to argue that the EMP site isn't janky AF? It's the movie poster version of dat awful 60s gig poster auction site, which also has peeps with really deep pockets. Seems like the deeper the pockets of the collectors, the jankier the site is.
so are we poors or . . . ? ? ?
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 pm

I am a poor, but there's plenty of #ballers here. Most are lurker status now tho.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:06 pm

fantasticninja wrote:
Nice collection btw, Paul. And if you even want to sell that 'Thief' print..lmk :whistle:
thanks. i got it signed by james caan. doubt i'll be selling it anytime soon.