Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
jayper
Art Expert

Thu May 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Though they are pretty different prints, I think it'll look great with his Forbidden Planet print.

Edit: Still really wish Forbidden Planet had a title block though...

Last edited by jayper on Thu May 12, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reeft
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 12, 2016 12:07 pm

^
great catch. Now I want his FP poster.
weshallallbe
Art Expert

Thu May 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I want Eng to do a Fantastic Planet print but I'll probably just wait for someone else to commission it :).
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Thu May 12, 2016 12:10 pm

The foil actually works very well on the stars in that FP
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 12, 2016 12:15 pm

reeft wrote:^
great catch. Now I want his FP poster.
It's only on foil and larger than 24x36 fyi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Bikejoh wrote:The foil actually works very well on the stars in that FP
Muddy print in person and the dissolve looks like a starved pull on foil imo. Add the larger size and its a miss.

Wish they did a 24x36 paper edition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Thu May 12, 2016 12:21 pm

rubberneck wrote:
Muddy print in person and the dissolve looks like a starved pull on foil imo. Add the larger size and its a miss.

Yup, I actually returned the print because it wouldn't fit in my standard frame. Too poor for all that custom framing ch!t.. stars were still my favorite part of the print. 8)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu May 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Sweet posters today. Didn't care for High-Rise the movie (it's like Snowpiercer mixed with Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel but not as good as either) but Jay nailed that poster. Reg Silent Running is badass too.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu May 12, 2016 1:48 pm

rubberneck wrote:

But that would be a release that makes sense from DHM. Why would they do that?
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Amisch
Art Expert

Thu May 12, 2016 6:05 pm

followmefilms wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:There have been plenty of good things to come out in this year alone.
Yeah, I have to agree. If you can't find anything you like at Mondo, this hobby might not be for you.
Lol this is pretty laughable--been buying art prints, sketches, and OGs for much of my adult life. This "hobby" isn't all about churning out a new movie print every two weeks to pay rent for me. I can appreciate art and own/hung many Mondo prints. Just my opinion on the recent products from this company.
followmefilms
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 12, 2016 7:15 pm

Amisch wrote:
followmefilms wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:There have been plenty of good things to come out in this year alone.
Yeah, I have to agree. If you can't find anything you like at Mondo, this hobby might not be for you.
Lol this is pretty laughable--been buying art prints, sketches, and OGs for much of my adult life. This "hobby" isn't all about churning out a new movie print every two weeks to pay rent for me. I can appreciate art and own/hung many Mondo prints. Just my opinion on the recent products from this company.
Fair enough. But, it would appear you fancy yourself more of an "art" collector. I was speaking speaking strictly on the movie poster collector front. And, as far as that goes, I think Mondo has more than proven themselves pretty darn good fulfilling solid product for that niche. You can hate on individual posters that they do all you want, but Mondo, overall, does pretty darn solid work. I guess I am just a fan. And as far as churning our a new movie poster every two weeks, if people are still buying them, that is just good business. Can't hate too much on that.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 13, 2016 3:03 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Sweet posters today. Didn't care for High-Rise the movie (it's like Snowpiercer mixed with Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel but not as good as either) but Jay nailed that poster. Reg Silent Running is badass too.
I'll take High-Rise over Snowpiercer any day. I'll take Exterminating Angel over pretty much anything else every day as well. The poster is a conceptual beast. Jay killed it.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 3:59 pm

reeft wrote:+1 on the reg
my first buy from Mondo in months. Silky smooth, even with paypal. I guess not that many people like Silent Running, eh?
its a cult classic rather than mainstream fare like Star Wars so surprised it sold out as quickly as it did (and I say that as a fan of the movie)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Sweet posters today. Didn't care for High-Rise the movie (it's like Snowpiercer mixed with Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel but not as good as either) but Jay nailed that poster. Reg Silent Running is badass too.
I'll take High-Rise over Snowpiercer any day. I'll take Exterminating Angel over pretty much anything else every day as well. The poster is a conceptual beast. Jay killed it.
I'm not crazy about High-Rise or Snowpiercer, but I dig The Exterminating Angel and most Bunuel (though I don't always understand it at first). Jay's poster looks ominous and iconic. I dig that one quite a bit.
Badbutch
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 7:31 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:
I'm not crazy about High-Rise or Snowpiercer, but I dig The Exterminating Angel and most Bunuel (though I don't always understand it at first). Jay's poster looks ominous and iconic. I dig that one quite a bit.
ISO Jay Shaw Exterminating Angel. Seriously.
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine