Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun May 13, 2018 3:04 pm

mfaith wrote:
DonPiano wrote:
mfaith wrote:Is that movie good?
It's a movie. I wish I liked it, as Yorgos Lanthimos' work is truly great. It's aiming for Dogtooth level of uneasiness, but seems to keep in mind the fact that people really liked The Lobster so it's also trying to straddle that films 'quirkiness'.
Finally watched The Lobster, and man I really enjoyed that. What an odd film (in a good way). :pint: Have Dogtooth queued up next to watch.
If you enjoyed THE LOBSTER, check out THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER. I enjoyed it slightly more than LOBSTER. Both are very good.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun May 13, 2018 3:12 pm

My ranking would be Dogtooth > Killing of a Sacred Deer > The Lobster

Haven't seen Alps yet, but it's on the list. Sounds interesting: "Actors start a unique business where they impersonate deceased people to help their clients through the grieving process."
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 am

RottenAtom wrote:My ranking would be Dogtooth > Killing of a Sacred Deer > The Lobster

Haven't seen Alps yet, but it's on the list. Sounds interesting: "Actors start a unique business where they impersonate deceased people to help their clients through the grieving process."
Alps might still be on Amazon Prime Video, can't recall if it still is. It used to be. I like it a lot, but I don't like it as much as his other 3 films mentioned above.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:My ranking would be Dogtooth > Killing of a Sacred Deer > The Lobster

Alps might still be on Amazon Prime Video, can't recall if it still is. It used to be. I like it a lot, but I don't like it as much as his other 3 films mentioned above.
It is. It's on my list. Dogtooth isn't however.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:

What's your personal ranking?
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Is the Speed Racer movie good? I never saw it. I used to watch the original anime, but I remember hearing the movie was so bad when it came out I just avoided it altogether.
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon May 14, 2018 3:09 pm

It's ridiculous. I don't even know how else to describe it besides that.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
playa787
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 3:14 pm

It just knows its an adaptation of a cartoon and doesn't try to be anything else for better or for worse. That being said the effects are dazzling and its a fun watch. You just gotta know what you're getting into. I dig it.
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Mondo wrote:Released in 2008, and under appreciated in its time, SPEED RACER is a jewel in the crown of the Wachowski's epic filmography...
I saw it in theaters and remember very little about it... and I think this hype-bot description of saying it is underrated is a bit of a reach. Artwork on the vinyl is beautiful though, maybe a rewatch is in order so I can see what all the fuss is about.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I've always loved Speed Racer, but then again I liked the whole Matrix trilogy.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm

i love speed racer.

and the matrix trilogy as well.

reloaded is alot of fun.

and revolutions is just laborious. thats its biggest problem.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon May 14, 2018 3:31 pm

I don't find Revolutions to be a bad movie in itself as much as it just feels like it isn't a Matrix movie - doesn't belong in that narrative arc, especially with so much of the focus on Zion. But I feel that way with a lot of movies that get turned into trilogies - I enjoy Back to the Future 3 for what it is but its Western slant makes it not fit in as well next to 1 and 2.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm

the battle of zion goes on for way too long. and especially since it essentially ends in a truce. which kinda negates the 50+ minute battle we watch.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm

It's just odd to have a first movie where Zion is just a Macguffin for people doing slo-mo bullettime and kung fu but then switch over to dedicating a major chunk of the third movie to new people in mech suits shooting down robo-squids.

Anyway, Speed Racer's definitely worth checking out.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon May 14, 2018 3:54 pm

The Matrix came out of nowhere in 1999, the year of hype for Phantom Menace and was a refreshing savior for the debacle that ended up being Episode I. Loved it. Reloaded was fun and set up opportunities and ideas which were then all squandered by Revolutions when the series disappeared up it's own arse. Tarnished the original in my mind. Can't see the first without thinking of the trilogy.

Never wanted to see Speed Racer, looks terrible based on trailers.
Last edited by rubberneck on Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"